login

Author Topic: Lost Thoughts  (Read 26725 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Lost Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:52:20 PM »
So what's the verdict for those of me who've never seen the show? Still funny? Should I watch it unriffed first? Does this look infected to you?
Never seen the show. The Riff is golden and doesn't require any knowledge of the series beyond the pilot episode. I DO reccomend watching it unriffed first. Leaves the mind free to focus on the riffs rather than getting distracted by the intrigue. I think I might just watch the other two episodes on this DVD... :^)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 11:54:33 PM »
I think I might just watch the other two episodes on this DVD... :^)

Uh-oh. Don't do it, Pak! Don't go into the light! You have so much to live for!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 02:59:36 AM »
Don't do it!  Don't get hopelessly addicted to the what ifs that never get answered. 

But they announced at the start of the year they had and ending AND answers, nice that they learnt from the X-Files's mistakes.  There's not really that many questions anyway, not ones that you need to know anytime soon or that would effect your enjoyment of the show.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:24:09 AM by ScottH »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline NeoMyers

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 04:22:28 AM »
Don't do it!  Don't get hopelessly addicted to the what ifs that never get answered.

Have you ever watched the show? Or do you just read the variety of internet articles alleging that, but not really substantiating it?

Many things have been answered on the show. As an example, "Why did the plane crash?" I know. Do you? It was a pretty big revelation among many others. But this isn't "CHIPS." Everything isn't resolved into a tight little bow at the end of each episode.

So, if you haven't seen the show and are interested, I recommend ignoring the "no answers" crowd and enjoy yourself. Because if nothing else, the characters on Lost are some of the best on television.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 04:39:31 AM »
I haven't watched season 3 yet, was going to after it was finished so I could watch it all at once like I did with season 2. They do explain a bunch of things, but completely ignore others. Thing is a few things aren't explained out loud, so to speak, like the polar bears, but they are explained but it's quite possible to miss out on that info.

Offline robertraur

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • And the wine flows....
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 06:44:09 AM »
Have you ever watched the show? Or do you just read the variety of internet articles alleging that, but not really substantiating it?

Many things have been answered on the show. As an example, "Why did the plane crash?" I know. Do you? It was a pretty big revelation among many others. But this isn't "CHIPS." Everything isn't resolved into a tight little bow at the end of each episode.

So, if you haven't seen the show and are interested, I recommend ignoring the "no answers" crowd and enjoy yourself. Because if nothing else, the characters on Lost are some of the best on television.

It may not be CHIPS, but it certainly isn't Veronica Mars or Battlestar Galactica which are able to answer as many questions as they present.

This season has had its moments. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll stick with the show but I certainly can not recommend it to anyone.  I would be happy with entertaining episodes but you can't deny that they have done that for less than half of the shows this season.  I also like the fact they brought in Brian K Vaughn.  That dude can write. 
Anytime someone offers you 10,000 to 1 odds, you take it.
Lets just say if John Mellancamp ever wins an Oscar, I'll be a rich man.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 06:47:08 AM »
BSG is not a good counter example. We know basically nothing about the Cylons, especially with the final of season 3.

Offline Douglin

• Big Montana
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 06:52:48 AM »
I can never understand people who want all the mysteries revealed.

If they did that then the show would be over.

I'd rather have a few more years of decent TV(and every episode is at the very least decent, if not better).

Offline robertraur

• Schnappi Supporter
  • And the wine flows....
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 07:19:39 AM »
I don't think I can win a "Mysteries solved" argument here, but I can not see recommending this show to new viewers.

Those that are into the show, great.  Continue watching the show because of the great writing and interesting characters.  They certainly need the help ratings wise.  Hell, they have shown more of the others this year and have delved a bit more into the Dharma Initiative.

But if you haven't watched the show before, leave it alone.  There are plenty of TV series out there that are worth your time and effort:  BSG, Veronica Mars, Venture Bros, Friday Night Lights, The Office, and 30 Rock are the ones off the top of my head I would recommend to anyone before Lost.
Anytime someone offers you 10,000 to 1 odds, you take it.
Lets just say if John Mellancamp ever wins an Oscar, I'll be a rich man.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 07:39:08 AM »

I've shown Lost to several people and everyone of them has loved it. But I made them follow this rule: watch the first 12-15 episodes. If you don't want to go on after that, don't.

Offline NeoMyers

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 08:19:42 AM »
You may not be happy with how the show has unfolded, but I think it's up to new people to decide for themselves if the show is good. So I stand by my 12-15 episode of season one investment.

And as for the shows you listed, I'm with you on FNL, The Office, BSG, and maybe VM. But frankly, every one of these shows is a different genre from Lost. Maybe it could be argued that BSG and possibly VM are close enough, but they work on different levels. I agree with Douglin, however, that as a show based around a mystery, you cannot solve every mystery without ending the show. I've noticed that fans get upset when a mystery is solved, but new questions are presented. If that's going to bother you, why watch at all? I think the show is best described as an onion with layers to peel through. I enjoy getting to the center.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 08:52:33 AM »
My Take and free preview now posted!

DVD cover coming soon...

Don't forget to leave your reviews too!!

Offline Savantegarde

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 09:58:23 AM »
I was so interested in the first two episodes that I ended up reading a synopsis of every episode after that on wikipedia.

And in two or three hours I'm about as caught up as everyone else and am not addicted to the what ifs.

God I love wikipedia

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 11:13:53 AM »

DVD cover coming soon...

Lazy!

Since I was stuck at home Saturday and Sunday trying to find roofers that work on the weekend, I was able to crank out my Lost cover and finish 90% of the Star Wars Part 2 cover.

In case anyone living in the Houston area needs a roofer, I HIGHLY recomment AAA Roofing.   They came today (Sunday) and did a wonderful job replacing the back half of my roof.   Since it is supposed to rain Monday-Wednesday, I feel sorry for anyone who could not fix their roof today.   I gave all my neighbors their business card and I hope they can get something done today or else they will have a LOT or dry wall work needed.

In case you want to see what a squall line can do to a house when 70 MPH winds hit, check it out.

http://pslowner.smugmug.com/gallery/2651674#140186659

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
  • Electro-Syntho-Magnetic
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 12:14:39 PM »
I thought hour one was funnier than hour two, but both were stellar tracks.  As for the show itself, I've loved it since I got season one on DVD last summer.  Season two was a lot weaker (though still reasonably entertaining).  Season three has actually just been getting better and better, though.  After the holiday hiatus, they've been just straight up kicking ass.

And yeah, there's lots of joking about all the mysteries, but things do eventually get explained in time, and really, if EVERYTHING was explained, there'd be very little interest in the show.