Author Topic: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)  (Read 48140 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: Top 50 Muppets! (LoC #80)
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:31 AM »
Number 27

Scooter
  50 Points, 3 of 13 lists, #5 CJones
First Appearance:The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances:The Muppet Movie, Muppet Wizard of Oz, The Muppets
Performer: Richard Hunt  (1976-1991); David Rudman  (2008-present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NOZRcJiRQ3g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NOZRcJiRQ3g</a>
Bio
Scooter serves as a "gofer" backstage on The Muppet Show, and appeared from the first produced episode through the end of the series. Possessing glasses with eyes embedded in the lenses and generally wearing a green track jacket, Scooter is a vaguely humanoid character of unknown heritage (as cited in Of Muppets and Men, when pressed about his family, he explained that his mother was a parrot but he didn't know about his father).
Although occasionally seen in production numbers, his primary role lay in the backstage plots. From the second through the fourth seasons, Scooter appeared in the opening, acting as call boy and delivering a brisk "15 seconds to curtain" to the guest star. According to The Muppet Show Style Book, Scooter is about 14 years old.
Scooter's position at The Muppet Theater is as general aide and gofer ("...I'll go fer coffee; I'll go fer sandwiches; I'll go for anything you need...") Although initially hired because his uncle, J. P. Grosse, owns The Muppet Theater, Scooter holds on to his job through both nepotism and efficiency. Scooter had been around since the first (production) episode, but his proper introduction, including his hiring and identification as J. P. Grosse's nephew, occurs in episode 106. Scooter's family connections served as a running gag, especially during the first season.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
Number 26

Rizzo the Rat
  52 Points, 6 of 13 lists, #6 Cole
First Appearance:The Muppet Show
Notable Appearances:Muppets Take Manhattan, A Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island
Performer:Steve Whitmire
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-qyE2cbplGc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-qyE2cbplGc</a>
Bio
Rizzo the Rat is a rat who has a tendency to crack mocking jokes at others or make fun of them. Sometimes, as seen in The Muppets Take Manhattan, he tries to cheat people into getting something he wants. However, he also has a sensitive side (according to Tim Hill and Gonzo during an audio commentary for Muppets from Space) and is good friends with a couple of characters. He was created by Steve Whitmire after he took a fascination to a bunch of old rat puppets made from bottles by Don Sahlin for The Muppet Musicians of Bremen. Whitmire made costumes for Rizzo, and the Muppet Show Fan Club newsletter (vol. 2, no. 4, 1980) claimed that "It is Rizzo's greatest ambition to wear a different costume every time he appears in a shot! Watch out for this well-dressed rodent -- he has every intention of succeeding. Rat on, Rizzo!"

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:01 AM »
Number 25

Sweetums
  53 Points, 8 of 13 lists, #11 Johnny Unusual
First Appearance:The Frog Prince
Notable Appearances: The Muppet Movie, The Muppet Show
Performer: Richard Hunt (1975 - 1991); John Henson (1991 - 2005); Matt Vogel  (2009 - present)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XDm0ZOpGy1o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XDm0ZOpGy1o</a>
Bio 
Sweetums is a large, hairy ogre who towers above his human and Muppet co-stars. His bulldog-like lower jaw, thick eyebrows, shabby brown shirt, and threatening expression belie his more or less genial nature.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
I love Sweetums. Though he might be the most physically imposing, he's a monster who seems nice, gentle and a good guy to hang out with.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
Number 40 (Updated)

Marjory (The Trash Heap)
 19 Points, 1 of 13 lists, #7 CJones
First Appearance: Fraggle Rock
Performer:Jerry Nelson

Thanks for that Anais. You really are the coolest butterfly  :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6297
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »

I can't beleive I forgot Yoda.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
Number 30

Rugby the Tiger
  42 Points, 2 of 13 lists, #4 Cole
First Appearance:The Christmas Toy
Notable Appearances:The Secret Life of Toys
Performer:Dave Goelz
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ctp3B9fXveg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ctp3B9fXveg</a>
Bio
Rugby Tiger is a plush tiger doll. He's the star of the 1986 special The Christmas Toy, and the 1994 spin-off series The Secret Life of Toys.
Rugby is one of the newest toys in the playroom. He is young, mischievous, adventurous and quite self-conceited. He was Jamie's favorite Christmas toy in The Christmas Toy.
In The Secret Life of Toys, Rugby takes great pride in being "plush". His tail is detachable.
YES YES YES! He was my #6 and I was SURE I'd be the only one with him on my list. And it turns out Cole ranked him higher than I did. I feel kinda bad now BUT STILL! HOORAY RUGBY!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
I have vague memories of "A Christmas Toy." I remember liking it, but then being horribly traumatized by something and never wanting to watch it again.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2432
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
The prospect of the toys becoming "frozen forever" if the humans see them move might have done it, I remember that scaring me when I was very young seeing it for the first time.  They really treated it like a death in the show, even if the frozen toys came back at the end.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
That sounds about right. Did one of the main characters get frozen? I think I might have watched up to that point, turned the channel in horror, and never found out that everyone was OK.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 315
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »
I heart Rugby the Tiger! I really love a lot of Dave Goelz muppets. Speaking of -- if you guys are in the San Francisco Bay Area at all, we are doing a 35th Anniversary Family Matinee Screening of The Muppet Movie with Dave Goelz in person at the beautiful Castro Theatre. It's only ten bucks! It's Saturday, August 16th at 11 am. Info at sfsketchfest.com!

My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
Oh, I wish I could.  That would be sensational.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »
Me too! Goelz is one of the very very original puppeteers and he must be just full of interesting stories.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2014, 12:30:18 AM »
Just ordered tickets to that. Should be a great time.

In the meantime, I'm finally back after a long weekend, and I can finally start commenting on the list. Which looks good so far! Especially with all the ties, which means there's a whole lot more to see (something I normally don't go for in LoCs, but dammit, I just can't say no to more Muppets). Plus it just reminds me how big the Muppet family is, and how each and every one of them is so delightful. Also, I think a lot of you are being too hard on Elmo. I think he does good work for his 2-3 year old target audience, even if he's no match for the likes of Big Bird or others when it comes to learning down the line.

I personally believe that the Muppet Newsman should've been higher, and actually regret not placing him higher on my own list. He had that perfect tone for deadpan absurdity, and I'd say that some of the funniest Muppet moments come out of his News Flashes. Much of it coming from his barely-contained frustration at dealing with the aforementioned absurdity.

And much like Darth Geek, I can't believe I forgot Yoda. I guess I just entirely forgot that he counts at all, since he just seems so far from what I consider a true Muppet.

I have no real excuse for forgetting Crazy Harry, though. That's just a bad move on my part.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:33:43 AM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2014, 05:55:34 AM »
That clip with the Muppet Newsman segments didn't include my favorite. Which was just him coming in "Here's a Muppet News Flash" and the paper he is holding quickly goes up in flames. "There it was, folks."

Also, I don't know where SRD got those descriptions (probably the Muppet Wiki), but this was hilarious:
but due to either dedication to his craft or a limited sense of self-preservation, the Newsman keeps plugging along.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:35:47 AM by Darth Geek »