Author Topic: RT Live!: Sharknado - Discussion  (Read 18951 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
RT Live!: Sharknado - Discussion
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
Great, great night and riff, guys.  I knew you could pull it off and prove wrong all those people complaining that you cannot riff a movie made to be intentionally bad.

You guys nailed it.

I new you guys would be utterly merciless towards Tara Reid and BOY! you do not pull punches on her.

Wow!

Great job, guys.

So, let us discuss!

(Near as I can tell no thread/subforum yet exists for discussing the Sharknado Live! event.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Re: RT Live!: Sharknado - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »
Well, THAT was fun.

I thought it started off really sluggish (I feel like it's not the first time I've said that, but it was ESPECIALLY the case here, I believe), and even the guys seemed to lack a bit of energy, but once the movie got going they really got into as well, and the crowd got into it. Good show.

I'm not sure I loved the clips from the coming Rifftrax show thing, though. I could do without that in future shows.

Although I did have a bit of a hard time hearing the movie. Maybe the movie itself just had lousy sound quality (a real possibility), or my theater screwed something up. I could hear the guys just fine, though. Anyone else experience that as well?
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline xartffir

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »
Great riffs.  The audience was roaring with laughter during much of the movie.  I agree with NRRork that it started off slow (although the alternating beach shots with mild to wild waves was hilarious). 

Sound quality was fine at my theater.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 807
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
I could have done without all the pimping of the next show. A Case of Spring Fever was nice.   Weren't we supposed to get the full version of the JOCO RiffTrax song ??
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
Yeah, I think things started off pretty slow with all of the plugs in it. I suspect the Sharknado 2 clip/plug they were obligated to do in order to riff this movie, but the first part (even the "Springs" short) seemed to lack energy.  Once Sharknado started things picked up quickly.

As for the sound, it didn't strike me as well mixed on my end either so it must've been something at the taping, seemed they were having sound issues in general considering the first Godzilla clip was muted.

I guess these are the things you run into when doing a live show.

The riffing of the feature itself was great and it looks like Godzilla (1998) will be fun too.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
As for the non-fictional person named Gary and myself: We had a spiffing time.  Top hole!
It was great and we liked it very much.  Looking forward to Gojira!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 300
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »
I didn't notice any sound issues here in NH, except with the preshow stuff that was super loud in our theater.

I agree that the pre-movie stuff was kinda weak. I was also disappointed that we didn't get a new short. The movie was great, though!

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »
Our feed was in and out during the short, but fortunately it stayed on for all but about two seconds of the movie. AWESOME riffing! :clap:
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1514
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Nearly died laughing when Spring Fever started. I happened to be wearing my Coily "No Springs!" Shirt today!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
I didn't notice any sound issues here in NH, except with the preshow stuff that was super loud in our theater.

I agree that the pre-movie stuff was kinda weak. I was also disappointed that we didn't get a new short. The movie was great, though!

Yeah, I kind of wish the short was something different too, especially since "A Case of Spring Fever" re-riff was one of the Kickstarter rewards for Godzilla/Anaconda.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Yeah, I think things started off pretty slow with all of the plugs in it. I suspect the Sharknado 2 clip/plug they were obligated to do in order to riff this movie, but the first part (even the "Springs" short) seemed to lack energy.  Once Sharknado started things picked up quickly.

Oh from some of the emails and such it's been pretty clear that this is part of the promotion for Sharknado 2.

Yeah, I kind of wish the short was something different too, especially since "A Case of Spring Fever" re-riff was one of the Kickstarter rewards for Godzilla/Anaconda.

Not like they haven't done a huge number of other shorts recently. Could have held one back and no one would have noticed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:59:08 PM by BathTub »

Offline waitingforgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
I admit it wasn't my favorite of their live efforts. I think I agree with the energy problems (lacking sound during the Goshzilla clips, and then a riff-less plug for Sharknado 2 didn't help), but I also think the film itself was deeply sub-mediocre, designed to fill 90 minutes of digital celluloid as inexpensively as possible. It lacked the "flawed but interesting" flavor of Starship Troopers, the "laughable message" of Reefer Madness, or even the "visions of artistic grandeur that just don't manifest" of Plan 9 or Birdemic. The film was serviceable in its plot, storyline, effects, and acting -- neither good enough to be noteworthy or awfully terrible enough to be mockable. I'm not sure the riff-writers had much to hook onto; I'm trying to remember more than five riffs and I'm coming up short.

I'm happy to support them, and I'll probably be at Goshzilla (presuming GenCon doesn't interfere too much), but -- for me -- this wasn't the riotous good time I had at Starship Troopers.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »
It was a good time. Enjoyed it immensely. The movie was worse than I imagined, Coily's return was fun.

The only problem I had was that the crowd seemed to be dead during Spring Fever (couldn't help but have MST3k flashbacks).

Oh, and reportedly Trace was spotted in the crowd (via an attendant on Satellite News). Sooner or later, they've gotta rope him into one of these shows... right?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
Oh, and reportedly Trace was spotted in the crowd (via an attendant on Satellite News). Sooner or later, they've gotta rope him into one of these shows... right?

Erik could tell you I've been harassing him for years to get Trace on-board if for only so they could a commentary for MST3K The Movie.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
Updated Sharknado page on the RiffWiki! I encourage everybody to add their own favorite lines :)

http://rifftrax.wikia.com/wiki/Sharknado