login

Author Topic: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)  (Read 34249 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: Top 50 Sci-Fi TV Series Countdown (LoC #79)
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »
That's it for tonight.  Sorry that they came out slowly in the last two days.  There will be 10 a day for the next 3 days.  Enjoy your long weekend Canadians!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 03:40:43 AM »
Number 30
48 Points, 3 of 18 lists, #3 Cole Stratton
Just one, I'm a few, no family too, who am I?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aBXaRbqzmzc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aBXaRbqzmzc</a>

The Premise   
Sarah Manning is a con artist and thief, posing as a police detective.  Alison Hendrix is a married mother of two.  Cosima Niehaus is a microbiologist living in San Francisco.  Helena is an assassin with a very specific set of targets.  What do they have in common?  They all share identical DNA and were born in the spring of 1984.  And they aren’t the only ones, all created for the scientific movement known as Neolution.  But while unravelling the truth as its own threats for the clones, so is Helena, the aforementioned assassin working for a religious movement known as the Proletheans who see the clones as abominations who must die.

Great Episode
Unconscious Selection
When Sarah finds herself rescuing the clone assassin Helena, she must decide what to do with someone raised to murder her.  While the mythology of the series has already gotten quite heavy 9 episodes in, this episode manages to further it while keeping it feel more grounded with some great character building.

Big Ideas   
Usually I go with an episode, but it really is tied more with the acting.  Tatiana Maslany’s ability to created completely different characters in this series really helps sell the idea of roads not travelled and despite genetic similarities, experiences can really help define who we become.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1651
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 03:44:06 AM »
That show seems completely like something I should like but after going through half of the first season I wasn't invested in it at all.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »
Looking at the logo, I've decided that Orpi Ian Black is Michael Ian Black's evil twin.

Soguru

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
Enterprise was definitely a show which was far more bad than it was good. May I ask, voters, of all the hundreds of potential shows you could have chosen, why Enterprise? Is it because you ran out of shows you wanted to vote for?! I'm sorry but I just can't think of any other reason why.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »
I didn't vote for it but I'd imagine the idea of the early years of human warp powered space flight and the setting up of the Federation seem pretty interesting as well as seeing Star Trek minus some of the near magical tech of later voyages.

And, you know, Vulcans with big bouncy breasts.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »
Still better than Voyager.
Still better than Voyager.

Least Voyager had a few good characters.   Enterprise characters all sacked.   Archer was a total idiot, and Plox was into genocide.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3094
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
RVR's Star Trek thread must be getting jealous.... ;D

Never heard of Orphan Black before, might have to check that out.

Is it because you ran out of shows you wanted to vote for?!

Hundreds?  I had trouble coming up with 30 shows I considered actual science fiction.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

Number 29
50 Points, 8 of 18 lists, #13 Tripe
  What if you could travel to parallel worlds? The same year, the same Earth, only different dimensions? A world where the Russians ruled America? Or where your dreams of being a superstar came true? Or where San Francisco was a maximum security prison? My friends and I found the gateway. Now, the problem is: finding a way back home.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vqz6o-etiEI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vqz6o-etiEI</a>

The Premise
When genius Quinn Mallory’s attempt to invent an anti-gravity decide creates a doorway to parallel worlds, he’s excited to meet himself, telling himself about the endless possibilities of unexplored timelines.  But when he invites his friend Wade and university prof Maximillian Arturo to take a trip, things quickly go wrong after they (and thanks to a dimensional warp, a washed up soul singer named Rembrandt “Cryin’ Man” Brown) end up in a new world and discover that they can’t control where they go and must travel through an endless number of dimensions in the slim hope of getting home.

Great Episode
The King is Back
I know there are better episodes, but I have a weakness for stories that explore what would happen to a character if their dream came true… especially a charismatic hard-luck case like Cryin’ Man.  The Sliders travel to a world where Rembrandt became not only a success, but a legend and the true “King of Rock & Roll”.  What’s more, this world’s Rembrandt is dead, meaning that when the Cryin’ Man makes a comeback, everything is coming up roses.  Of course, things take a dark turn when an old rival decides to re-kill the king.

Big Ideas   
Lots of great ones in the early season, but when I think of sci-fi, I always think about what if scenarios where the difference is subtle, but crucial.  In “Post Traumatic Slide Disorder”, the Sliders have apparently made it back home and thanks to their successes for discovering inter-dimensional travel, begin to drift apart.  However, Quinn discovers that very small differences prove that they aren’t in their world.  Soon it turns out that there’s a traitor in the midst of the former team and that the future of their quest is home is put in jeopardy.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 325
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
If you haven't seen it, Orphan Black is killer -- and it's an acting clinic by Tatiana Maslany, who plays tons of clones and makes each one a fully-fleshed out character. Plus sometimes she is playing one of the clones masquerading as another clone and manages to do so in a way that you can see the nuances of each of them. She's just great.
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »

Number 28
51 Points, 4 of 18 lists, #8 George Harrison
  There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QwEnXLFDZBg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QwEnXLFDZBg</a>

The Premise   
When a bizarre plane accident occurs, a joint task force (the Fringe Division) is created to investigate cases related to fringe science and seemingly impossible events.  With the support of the FBI, Agent Olivia Dunham recruits the leading expert in fringe sciences, Dr. Walter Bishop.  Unfortunately, he’s found living in an insane asylum with some missing faculties and general mental instability.  With the assistance of his son Peter, Homeland Security agent Phillip Boyles (acting as the Fringe Division’s director) and FBI Jr Agent Astrid Farnsworth, the team learns of strange conspiracies that deal with an alternate universe and strange figures known only as Observers.  Who appear somewhere in every episode!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QlG1gwkyJxk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QlG1gwkyJxk</a>
Great Episode
And Those We've Left Behind
First of all, Stephen Root is in this episode, which is always a plus.  But it also tells the tragic tale of a scientist whose wife is living with Alzheimer’s and tries to deal with it by encasing his house in a time bubble.  The idea is sound, but it is one that causes trouble when random people and objects are being shot backwards in time as a result.  This episode is very poignant and also features Root’s wife playing his character’s wife.

Big Ideas   
A great flashback episode can reveal who the characters who were before the series, but the episode “Peter”  truly recontextualizes some major character relationships using science fiction concepts.  In 1985, Walter Bishop is a much different ma and a much dark figure.  Suffering after the loss of his son, Walter travels into another universe with a terrible solution to his problem that has makes us look again what has come before.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1187
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
ST: Enterprise wasn't that bad a show. It had a good cast and a good concept. It was just poorly executed. I really liked the 3rd season with the Xindi, but the 4th had too many 2-3 episode story arcs that could easily have been condensed into one.

Anyway, the best episode, by far, is (ironically) Twilight, season 3, episode 8. I can't find the full episode on Youtube, but to sum up: Archer is infected with a temporal parasite that erases his short term memory. Earth is destroyed, but Phlox discoverers a way to destroy the parasite that resets the timeline back to when Archer was initially infected.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Can we specify only the first 2 seasons of Sliders count? After that it was a different show you shouldn't bother with.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_bk8VfK7TRM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_bk8VfK7TRM</a>
dF = 0
d*F = J

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
Can we specify only the first 2 seasons of Sliders count? After that it was a different show you shouldn't bother with.

I think that's what we all assumed.  But those early episodes were GREAT.  Then the network made them off John Rhys-Davies, because they are insane.