login

Author Topic: Joel wants to reboot the show with a new host.  (Read 6511 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 850
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Joel wants to reboot the show with a new host.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »
The difference would be TV money.

DVDs are still profitable enough to keep being released (even with the rights being harder/more expensive), the show is being re-run on TV and Rifftrax is thriving.

I actually suspect this might have been the real reason for shuttering Cinematic Titanic.

Are DVDs profitable?  It wasn't for CT to do studio episodes.  Anyways the article says (bold mine):

This spring Hodgson is hoping to start a new online incarnation of the show, one that will feature a fresh (and as-yet-unannounced) host and cameos from many MST3K alumni.

At first blush it seems that Joel is going to go the RiffTrax VOD route. Which is what they probably should have done with CT. 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3332
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 05:55:09 PM »
The difference would be TV money.

DVDs are still profitable enough to keep being released (even with the rights being harder/more expensive), the show is being re-run on TV and Rifftrax is thriving.

I actually suspect this might have been the real reason for shuttering Cinematic Titanic.

Are DVDs profitable?  It wasn't for CT to do studio episodes.  Anyways the article says (bold mine):

This spring Hodgson is hoping to start a new online incarnation of the show, one that will feature a fresh (and as-yet-unannounced) host and cameos from many MST3K alumni.

At first blush it seems that Joel is going to go the RiffTrax VOD route. Which is what they probably should have done with CT.

Missed the online part - but I was talking about the MST3K DVDs, from SHOUT!
FINE

Offline JP

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
I'm completely agnostic between Joel and Mike.  Don't even have to be in a particular mood to enjoy one over the other.  I think that as long as the host has fun and the riffing is more playful than hateful snark, I will enjoy the heck out of this.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Yeah it seems a lot of people are missing that it's online (I know I sure did initially). Which really means it's just another Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic with increased production costs? But I guess Joel doesn't want to be the front-man anymore.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
The name will still make it an easier sell, I think. (And perhaps they will partner with SHOUT! to release them on DVD anyway?)
FINE

Offline Not TV's Frank

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 40
  • It just dawned on me how weird this film is.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »

I've seen some discussion at io9.com speculating that the show could "live" on Netflix.  Shows like House of Cards have separate commentary tracks than can stream along with the show.

I personally hope it's a VOD or subscription system.  I'm hoping for a full-on "show", something we pay for - I want this to be profitable for Joel and company so it's sustainable.  I wouldn't object to an Amazon/Hulu/Netflix original.  Hell, I'll take what I can get.
"My legs are old, my teeth are gray, my arms are gnarled."

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
It would be a hilariously cruel prank if Joel actually just brought back the Mallon-helmed Flash cartoons.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
Yes and No. I would love to see this show return in someway, but it has to be a reunion series or even just a really good reunion film. I want the whole cast back together. Joel and Mike must go into the theater together with the robots, or they could take turns. Or just Mike.

If Joel can bring back MST3K, despite the scuffle with Jim Mallon in the past, I think a reunion film is long overdue. Save the reboot for another time.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »
I actually love the idea of it being a reboot.
FINE

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
I'm curious to see how an MST3k: The Next Generation would work. New host, new writers, new bots (?).

Plus, it just means that there's more of a base to start from when the inevitable 30th Anniversary Three Hosts special happens.

(Okay, I might have jumped the gun there. But the possibility of them doing their own spin on a Doctor Who special would be kind of fun.)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 05:32:43 AM »
This is definitely a "wait and see" thing for me. With Joel heading it I'm sure it'll be funny. And I am glad he isn't going to be the host. But I'm more interested in what they do with the bots. And what format it takes. Unlike the rest  of you, when I heard "online series" I was thinking more along the lines of a show on Blip like the That Guy With The Glasses reviews are.
I don't think the animated cartoons Jim Mallon tried to do was a bad idea. Since they are the most entertaining part of the show outside of the riffing itself. And they would lend themselves to animation. But the problem was it just wasn't funny.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:35 AM »
The idea of Ron Funches as a mad...  ;D  That'd be hilarious!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
The idea of Ron Funches as a mad...  ;D  That'd be hilarious!

He'd definitely be able to pull off the loveable side like Frank did.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
Also, he would be the only mad to out-mellow Frank.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
If this is happens, between new MST VOD's and Rifftrax, I'm going to go broke.