Author Topic: VODs burned to DVDs question  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Kenneth Morgan

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
VODs burned to DVDs question
« on: November 16, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
I apologize if this is a silly question, but I'm pretty new to the whole VOD thing.

If I download a VOD file and burn it onto a physical DVD, would it be playable on a standard DVD player?  Or could it only be played back on a computer?
-30-

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: VODs burned to DVDs question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
If you download the ISO file that is provided and you burn it properly, as long as your standard DVD Player plays DVD-Rs it will play like any other DVD you own.  Biggest mistake people make is to burn the ISO image as a "data" file on a DVD-R and that is wrong.

http://www.imgburn.com/ 

is a good image burning tool.

From the FAQ:

Q: I've downloaded the burnable content... what now?

Our download-to-burn content is served as a single .iso file, which is a DVD image that can be readily burned to a DVD! (Note that some of our DVD images require a dual layer burner.)

For Windows users, it should be as simple as dragging the .iso file into your favorite DVD-burning software (note that you'll want to use the "Burn image" option) and clicking the Burn button!

However, If you don't already have image-burning software (such as from Roxio or Nero) download and install the free program ImgBurn (click here to download it from CNET). Then follow the guide to burn the image file to a disc.

Mac OSX users: you can easily use Disk Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) to burn your image. After launching Disk Utility, go to File > Open Disk Image and browse to your downloaded .iso file. (Of course, you can always use Toast or your favorite DVD-burning application.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:09:04 PM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:33:16 AM »
I have been using the larger MPEG file to burn on the DVD with DVD Flick.

You end up with a DVD is a DVD like all the other ones.  Plays on anything that will play DVDs.

So, there are many ways to watch the movies on a DVD on your home TV rather than just seeing them on PCs. 8)

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:39:50 AM »
Yeah I'm with Bob on this..
DVD Flick for any MPEG2 but I use Nero to burn the ISO file..
If you have Nero already loaded, as soon as you click on the ISO it starts the burn process 8)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:52:10 AM »
The only downside to using the MPEG2 files Vs. the ISO is that the mpeg2 files use lower bit rate.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
The only downside to using the MPEG2 files Vs. the ISO is that the mpeg2 files use lower bit rate.

That is true, but the difference in picture is not that big, and I watch the movies for their riffing and barely notice the pictures anyway.