Author Topic: S. (JJ Abrams book)  (Read 1277 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
S. (JJ Abrams book)
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
Has anyone grabbed this? My copy just arrived, and I have to say that this is just about the coolest thing I've ever held. If you were impressed by the Lost "complete series" box set and how much went into it, you'll be even more impressed with this.

I wanted to start a thread in case others are going to be reading this... A thread for thoughts, links, reviews, things found in the book, all sorts of information.

"The S. experience is like reading a novel while eavesdropping on a conversation...As if Franz Kafka had written an episode of "Lost."" --CNN.com

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/11/j-j-abrams-s-book-review/
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: S. (JJ Abrams book)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
Just got my copy, it was back ordered for so long I forgot about it.

It is pretty cool, not sure when I'll get around to reading it, but I agree it is a very cool idea.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
Just got my copy, it was back ordered for so long I forgot about it.

It is pretty cool, not sure when I'll get around to reading it, but I agree it is a very cool idea.

MY SUGGESTIONS (also many others' suggestions)

- Take out all the little bits n pieces and put them in a manila envelope (there's a link I can post here that documents where they go, complete with images)
- Then read the book itself, sorta ignoring all the "hand-written" bits, but paying attention to the "author's annotations" as you go
- Then go through reading the hand-written elements in the order I can also find for you... (basically the order they wrote them chronologically, starting with pencil and then "her" replies in blue ink, etc) and the corresponding inserts as they are mentioned or brought up in the notes.
- Then browse the internet with all the Straka websites and viral "alterverse" elements that are out there, involving puzzles, games and clues.

Or just read the book and get to all the other stuff later someday!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
Didnt he have someone else write this and then put his name on it?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
Didnt he have someone else write this and then put his name on it?

Doug Dorst wrote it, with pretty much constant input from Abrams. More-or-less, he came up with it, decided everything about the story and bits and pieces WITH Dorst, and then Dorst put it into actual book/story form with a lot of hovering by Abrams.

Kinda how Matt Stone and Trey Parker write South Park. A lot of the actual writing and cohesiveness is by Stone but Parker comes up with most of it all and then voices much of it.

It's Abram's brain-child made real by Dorst.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »
It's been sitting on my dresser for several months. I need to make time for it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »
It's been sitting on my dresser for several months. I need to make time for it.

The book itself is a pretty good read. I was rather impressed. It's actually written like an old adventure/mystery novel... Occasionally, I sorta forgot it was a new book.