Author Topic: List of Crap #75: Top 50 Ghosts Countdown  (Read 26060 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: List of Crap #75: Top 50 Ghosts Countdown
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
(visual approximation)
No, this is a visual approximation:

The picture you have would be her at the end of her life.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2013, 03:44:37 AM »
Which is when she became a ghost, right?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2013, 04:09:22 AM »
Yes but, as the text you quoted shows, was not what her ghost looks like, and that difference is the reason she's my top choice.

What we appear to be physically is often at odds to our "true self", especially when considering the elderly.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2013, 04:14:54 AM »
Ah, I see. Will correct.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2013, 05:18:47 AM »
Number 31
Rowland and Paine, the Dead Boy Detectives
Interesting, didn't know there had been more of them after that Sandman story. Are the other stories collected anywhere?

Ah crap, I forgot about discworld ghosts.
Goodie Hamstring's the only one I had though there were a couple of others I considered.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:23:26 AM by Tripe »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »
They appeared in the Children's Crusade crossover, which was the only attempt that Vertigo ever did to have a crossover in their title.  Then they made little appearances in spin-off books and finally reappeared in "Sandman Presents: the Dead Boy Detectives" by Ed Brubaker, which has been collected (probably because Brubaker is a big deal now).  It was OK, but I just wish it was more fun (I think present day Brubaker might have done a better job).  There's a current series just starting up I'm more jazzed about the new series written by novelist Toby Litt and co-written and drawn by comics veteran Mark Buckingham.  I'm hoping this new book finds potential in the premise.

Also, I think that the problem I have with how other people handle it comes up again in a later entry: I think it would be more interesting if they are the one supernatural thing in the story.  Sometimes, some supernatural characters work best in otherwise non-supernatural settings.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2013, 07:59:21 AM »
I have a feeling that every ghost possible from the Christmas Carol is going to show up, which is fair. I personally tried to include only one ghost from the IP's I could think of. If I hadn't, I'd have felt like I was weighing too heavily on some aspects.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1651
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2013, 08:15:37 AM »
I think I only included one 'historical' ghost in my list.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

Number 30
Booberry
(28 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #5 Pakman)

Boo Berry is a ghost that promotes (and perhaps haunts) Boo Berry cereal.  His origins are unknown except that he loves Boo Berry cereal and he is in competition with the undead Count Chocula and the patchwork man-mockery Franken Berry.  It is unclear is Franken Berry and Boo Berry are related or perhaps Franken Berry was created with Boo Berry’s body after he died.  Or perhaps Boo Berry was the scientist who created Franken Berry, they argued about cereal and Franken Berry broke Boo Berry’s spine.

As initially seen, Boo Berry wore the chain he forged in life! He made it link by link and yard by yard! He gartered it on of his own free will and by his own free will, he wore it!  And there’s cereal at the end of it, which is convenient.  However, currently, he no longer has chains, perhaps being freed after teaching an old miser the true meaning of breakfast.

Malevolence
2/10
Mostly nice, but he doesn’t get along with the other cereal monsters.
Spookiness
2/10
Those nipple clamps are kind of unsettling.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZF_Dhgisbys" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZF_Dhgisbys</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
Number 29
The Deadites
(28 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #2 ScottotD)

Deadites are creatures, most commonly people, that have become possessed by evil spirits (demons) invoked by The Necronomicon Ex-Mortis (AKA the Book of the Dead, not to be confused with the Tibetan Book of the Dead). However, monsters and creatures released by The Necronomicon Ex-Mortis can be referred to as Deadites as well.

Human beings that have been possessed by a Deadite will exhibit white, pupil-less eyes, dark grey skin, and will also appear to decay rapidly. When people became possessed, they continued to decay indefinitely. It can be assumed that eventually the host body will decay completely from the demon's corruption. Former Tobin Spirit Guide contributor Professor Knowby warned via his tape recordings that he feared the only way to stop those possessed by the demons (Deadites) was through the act of bodily dismemberment. He also warned that the book said that these enduring creatures may lie dormant but were never truly dead.

When a human becomes a Deadite, it is assumable that they have no control over their physical body. Their souls are apparently taken to Hell and tortured, although this might just be the demons' threat to scare those not possessed. The only people recorded to have overcome their possession by the spirits are Ashley Williams and Mia (no last name given), both possessions having taken place in Michigan.

The Deadites also apparently have complete recall of the lives of their vessels, their memories, their emotions, and their relationships, and are able to temporarily appear as fully human again to communicate with those not possessed. This has only been used to escape from certain death or indefinite confinement. Through this trickery, the Deadites provoke an irrational and emotional response in their captors or would-be killers to allow them an opportunity either for escape or to catch them off-guard.

The Deadites as creatures appear as beings of pure debauchery, lust, and insanity. They enjoy self-mutilation, swearing, and relishing the fear of their prey. In some cases, it has been recorded that the Deadites inflict terrible bodily damage to themselves before they even begin attacking others. It is unknown if they do this as a scare tactic or simply because they enjoy the pain. Oddly enough, after being a Deadite for several hours, suffering various injuries (mostly self-inflicted) including forking her tongue with a box-cutter, and being buried alive, Mia was completely unharmed after release from her possession. Similarly, Ash Williams had become deformed when possessed but regained his normal features once the spirit was exorcised.  This may imply that while possessing a human any harm on the body is inflicted on the demon rather than the possessed.

Malevolence
10/10
Face it, they just hate you.
Spookiness
10/10
Yeah, they ugly and they want you to know it!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
Then maybe he's making up for all the kids he murdered.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VCjc_OllHdE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VCjc_OllHdE</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
Number 28
King Hamlet
(30 points on 5 of 12 lists. Top Vote #10 Imrahil)
King Hamlet (AKA Old Hamlet) is the spirit of the former king of Denmark who haunted his son Prince Hamlet before his death.  King Hamlet was described as a warrior, as he led Denmark's forces to victory against Norway, and personally defeated its King Fortinbras in hand-to-hand combat. His son respected him, saying Claudius paled in comparison to him, and frequently reflected on him in an endearing manner.

The Ghost appeared first to a duo of soldiers—Barnardo and Marcellus—and a visitor to Denmark, Horatio. The men drew their swords and stood in fear, requesting that Horatio, as a scholar, address the ghost. Horatio asked the ghost to speak, and reveal its secret. It was about to do so when the cock crowed, signaling morning, and the ghost instead disappeared. The Ghost was clearly recognized by all present as the King, dressed in his full armour. It is also said that he had appeared to the castle guards at least twice before at exactly the same time.

In his second appearance, Horatio talked Prince Hamlet into staying up with the guards to see if the ghost would return. At midnight, it appeared, and beckoned Hamlet to follow. Horatio and his friends begged him not to go alone, but he did anyway, driven by curiosity. Once alone, the ghost described his wanderings on the earth, and his harrowing life in purgatory, since he died without receiving the ordinances of the Catholic Church, such as Extreme Unction. He told the young Hamlet that he was poisoned and murdered by his brother, Claudius, the new King of Denmark, and asked the prince to avenge his death. He also expressed disgust at his wife, Gertrude, for marrying Claudius, but warned Hamlet not to confront her, but to leave that to Heaven. Later, Prince Hamlet returned to his friends and had them swear on his sword to keep what they have seen a secret. When they resist, the ghost uttered the words "Swear" and "Swear on the sword", until his friends agreed.

The prince Hamlet, fearing that the apparition may be a demon pretending to be King Hamlet, decided to put the ghost to the test by staging a play that re-enacts the circumstances that the spirit claimed led to his death. Claudius's reaction was one of guilt and horror, and Prince Hamlet was convinced that the ghost is, in fact, his father. However, due to his over-analytical mind and the complexity of the ghost's conditions, much time passed before Hamlet carried out his orders.
In the third appearance, Hamlet was confronted by the ghost (in his nightgown) in his mother's closet, and was rebuked for not carrying out his revenge and for disobeying in talking with Gertrude. Hamlet fearfully apologized. Gertrude, however, could not see the ghost, and thought Hamlet was mad, asking why he was staring and talking to nothing.

Though Claudius was killed by Prince Hamlet, it is unclear if King Hamlet found peace, seeing as it cost him the lives of his wife and son, among many others.  Still, there are no reports of any trace of the King since then.

Malevolence
5/10
The five is merely a guess as it is difficult to determine whether he is seeking justice or vengeance (if it is the latter, then it should be bumped up two points)

Spookiness
6/10
He gets points for sorrow.  The fear you feel doesn't come from menace, but rather sympathy for his plight.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
I would love to see a version of Hamlet where his father's ghost gets fed up with Hamlet's uselessness and just decides to haunt Claudius himself. In the end only Claudius dies, and Hamlet accidentally dies from wandering off a balcony because he wasn't paying attention.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
Number 27
The Library Ghost
(31 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #8 Pak Man)
The Library Ghost (aka The Grey Lady, Gray Lady, Librarian Ghost) was the ghost of librarian Eleanor Twitty and the very first ghost that the Ghostbusters (a famous paranormal investigation and removal team) encountered. She appears to be a very odd reader as she likes to stack books up in the air.

In 1984, disturbances were being reported as coming from the New York City Public Library. More recently, a librarian, Alice, fainted due to the disturbances. It is revealed that the trouble is coming from a ghost. A team of three paranormal scientists (Ray Stantz, Peter Venkman, and Egon Spengler), are brought in to conduct an investigation. Based on eyewitness descriptions, Ray believed the entity to be a Free-Roaming, Vaporous, Full Torso Apparition. When the future Ghostbusters were about to act out Ray's plan to "get her", she changed into a terrifying form and scared them away. She was never seen or heard from again until 1991, though it doesn't mean that the Ghostbusters weren't trying to capture her again.

In 1991, due to the research of Winston Zeddemore, it was revealed that she was the ghost of former Head Librarian of the New York Public Library, Dr. Eleanor Twitty. A new paranormal threat surfaces in New York, and en route to the Museum, the Ghostbusters heard of a ghost outbreak happening at the Library, and stopped to settle an old score. Ray, in particular, was still bitter about their first encounter, and hints that they may have had trouble capturing Eleanor's spirit throughout the years.

Malevolence
6/10
She’s not overtly evil but she is very aggressive and doesn't like to be disturbed.

Spookiness
7/10
Word of advice; don’t get her.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

Number 26
Zero
(31 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #4 Quantum Vagina)
Zero is a ghost dog who belongs to supernatural entity Jack Skellington. After his master Jack found the door to Christmas Town, a world of perpetual Christmas, while taking Zero for a walk, Jack decided that he wanted to celebrate Christmas too, but choosing to do it by kidnapping Santa Claus and replacing him. Later, when Jack wanted to take off to deliver presents, Zero had to light the way because of the thick fog, using his Jack O’Lantern nose.  Zero also has a doghouse gravestone.

Malevolence
1/10
He’s a loyal pet.

Spookiness
1/10
He’s got a pumpkin nose.  Just TRY to make that scary.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:34:39 AM by Johnny Unusual »