login

Author Topic: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread  (Read 97960 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2341
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread
« Reply #975 on: December 29, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »
These large artichokes I got are taking even longer, up to about 12 hours now and the meat is just starting to change to buttery soft and the same taste as how my mom and grandmom cooked them.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7849
« Reply #976 on: December 29, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
I brought this up to my wife and she scoffed, "Who has the time?!"

She does them for about an hour.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #977 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
I brought this up to my wife and she scoffed, "Who has the time?!"

She does them for about an hour.

It's not like I've been standing over them for 2 days, they sit on the stove slowly bubbling away, every once in a while when walking by I check to see if the water has gone down but in a tall pot with a lid very little steam escapes.  And the house smells awesome.

It is a problem once you've had them this way, when done for just an hour or 2 they just don't taste right, so that means I rarely make them.  I've thought about getting a slow cooker just to make them, I'd do it more often if I could just set it up and let it go overnight.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3394
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #978 on: December 29, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
Multiple days?!!?!  Is there anything left at the end?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #979 on: December 30, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »

I'm guessing you've never started with raw artichokes?  They are extremely tough, in the thistle family, even after days of cooking the area above the heart has inedible sharp spines and the leaves are still so tough you use your teeth to scrape the good tasting meat off the top side.

This is the start of day 3:

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3394
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #980 on: December 30, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »

I'm guessing you've never started with raw artichokes?  They are extremely tough, in the thistle family, even after days of cooking the area above the heart has inedible sharp spines and the leaves are still so tough you use your teeth to scrape the good tasting meat off the top side.

This is the start of day 3:

No, I've had them. I've gotten one in my stocking every year ever since I can remember. When i was a kid, that was my go to answer for favorite food. I just have never cooked one for longer than 1.5 hours.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #981 on: December 30, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
No, I've had them. I've gotten one in my stocking every year ever since I can remember. When i was a kid, that was my go to answer for favorite food. I just have never cooked one for longer than 1.5 hours.

Ah, well if you love them at 1.5 hours don't go longer, it might spoil you and you'll won't be able to go back...  ;D

Going to eat 2 tonight and put the other 2 in the fridge for tomorrow night.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3458
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #982 on: December 31, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
Cooked up some boneless chicken wings in my air fryer and added some Jim Beam honey bourbon sauce and they turned out yummay :P
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4Cepr1o0bCU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4Cepr1o0bCU</a>

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #983 on: December 31, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »
I hate it when pizza sticks to the peel....

The house was so dry and the dough was pretty dry, thought I could get away without putting any cornmeal down, but nope, all the toppings on and it wouldn't budge....   Had to get out a long spatula and push some corn meal under it, messed it up a bit but at least it slide onto the stone without incident.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #984 on: January 04, 2018, 03:09:07 PM »
Target had 50% off most Crock-Pots so I picked one up for the next time I do artichokes.

Started this today around noon, then got ready and shoveled snow for 3+ hours, every time I went inside the smell was great, and now that it's cooled and I'm eating it even better.

Slow Cooker Apple Crisp:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/177053/slow-cooker-apple-crisp/

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3919
« Reply #985 on: January 14, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7849
« Reply #986 on: January 14, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »
There's basically nothing pink that I want to eat, ever.

Don't like ham. Don't like rare meat. Don't like salmon. Don't like strawberry ice cream.  Don't like pepto-bismol.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #987 on: January 14, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
Just occurred to me that strawberries are red, why to they make strawberry ice cream pink?  I guess they figure blood colored ice cream wouldn't sell?  ;D 

Trying to think if there is anything pink I eat, I haven't have ham or bologna in years, nothing else I eat is that color, at least not after cooking it.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #988 on: January 14, 2018, 11:33:07 PM »
Looking at that recipe, chicken and tomato go well together, but adding the green stuffed olives, I don't know about that... 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2724
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #989 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:12 AM »
Just occurred to me that strawberries are red, why to they make strawberry ice cream pink?  I guess they figure blood colored ice cream wouldn't sell?  ;D 

Trying to think if there is anything pink I eat, I haven't have ham or bologna in years, nothing else I eat is that color, at least not after cooking it.
When you make a milkshake (And I assume, Ice Cream) with real strawberries, the Strawberry seeps into the milk and it comes out pink. It's actually not the product of artificial coloring. (At least, not when it's made naturally.)