Author Topic: How to Make a Sync File File  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Sleepwalk42

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
How to Make a Sync File File
« on: September 01, 2013, 02:08:21 AM »
If this is covered somewhere and I'm missing it, a thousand pardons. I've looked through the thread with all the fan made sync files...but when I tried to make the file on my computer, my riffplayer didn't recognize it. I tried a second time and I had accidentally reverted to the last riff I played...meaning The Room started with High School Musical playing.

Anyway, I'm told The Room is a must watch, but I won't watch any riff w/o a synch file, they get out of sync far too often. What program, or name..or anything amy I supposed to go yhrough? What's the process to make the file that the player reads.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: How to Make a Sync File File
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:07:38 AM »
I thought the sync files came with the riff that you download.

Offline Sleepwalk42

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:59 AM »
Some do....but the majority of riffs don't have sync files. The community here has made coding for them, but I don't know how to make them into the files you need to sync

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
There's a sticky thread with user created sync files.

Some people were having problems with The Room locking up the player, so it still doesn't have an official release.   Here's what works for some people:

riffdelay_init=102.40
riffstart=21.000
time_offset=1.00098
title_ID=1

You need to create a text file with those 4 lines and name it TheRoom_RiffTrax.sync
If you are using windows just use notepad.

I'm confused as to the problem you had, unless you renamed the .mp3 file you shouldn't have been able to play the riff of High School Musical by clicking on the mp3 for The Room.  And clicking on the .mp3 for The Room without the proper .sync file should have given an error message. 

FYI: For making your own sync files it's a bit of a trial and error procedure, a lot of adjusting and restarting.

riffdelay_init is the number of seconds from the start of the mp3 to the start of the movie.  Basically to cut out the intro by the guys.  You adjust this to make the first sync line match up.  The text file with the times for the DVD and mp3 will give you a good first starting number. (for the first sync line subtract the DVD time from the mp3 time, after converting both to seconds)

riffstart is the delay between the start of the movie and the "1 2 3 pause".

time_offset is how fast the audio plays in relation to the DVD, you adjust this to make the sync lines match up.  This is the number that is the most time consuming to get set, since you have to change it, go to a dis line near the end and see if he is closer or farther from the movie line, then adjust again, close the player, start it back up, check the line again, adjust.....  As you do this you have to occasionally check the very first sync line and adjust riffdelay_init if it goes out of sync.

title_ID  is the track number of the movie, usually this isn't needed as the player will pick out the movie track, but some copy protection schemes put dummy tracks in that crash the player.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:40:24 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Sleepwalk42

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
What if I'm on a mac?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:26:34 AM »
Mac OS must come with some kind of basic text editor?

Or use a word processor (like MS Word), but be sure to save the file as plain text.

Offline Sleepwalk42

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
I tried it. Oh well, thanks for your help...I'll just have to wait until the actual synch file gets released as a unix thing like the others that come with the zip files (HSM, Captain America, etc)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
I always forget you can attach small files here, so try downloading the attached file.

Offline Sleepwalk42

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
You're my hero....no clue why my file wouldn't work...but thank you so so much

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
You're my hero....no clue why my file wouldn't work...but thank you so so much

No problem.

Probably the Mac doing the automatic extensions thing.  It's easy to forget about that, try to name a file "filename.something" and it adds "filename.something.doc"...

Offline Robotech_Master

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 08:52:56 AM »
Is it possible to make riff files for audio commentaries that didn't come from RiffTrax?

Sharecrow basically doesn't work anymore; would be nice to have a better way to play fan commentaries.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
Is it possible to make riff files for audio commentaries that didn't come from RiffTrax?

Sharecrow basically doesn't work anymore; would be nice to have a better way to play fan commentaries.

If you have an mp3 file, and a DVD, you should be able to get it to work.

If you need perfect sync that might be difficult without something in the mp3 that matches the audio on the DVD, since the typical procedure is to listen to the timing, adjust some numbers, listen if the timing is better or worse, adjust some numbers, repeat until the sync lines in the mp3 line up with the movie on the DVD.  If it's just a commentary that doesn't need perfect timing you could just check to see if stuff they comment on lines up with what you are seeing.  Adjusting to within a second can be done in a few cycles of trial and error.

Offline Robotech_Master

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Actually already know the timing of the one I'm mainly worried about. (The commentary I recorded for Castle of Cagliostro.) You had to know that to make a 'crow.