login

Author Topic: How do you sort your shorts?  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
How do you sort your shorts?
« on: July 17, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »
I was wondering, what are the category names you use to sort them?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: How do you sort your shorts?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:24:02 AM »
I just use the names they come with and store them in iTunes in the movie listing with all the other movies I have in iPad.  That is for the ones the MP4 size.  That is how I have the VODs stored in iTunes too.

For the full size MPEG2, I keep them in the same name and burn the VODs onto DVDs and the shorts I just save the most recent 8 ones on a shorts DVD as well.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:27:52 AM »
I don't really sort them.  I just accumulate them in sets of 12, and when that happens, I cook up a DVD collection with menus and a DVD cover.  They're on the DVD in sequential order by release date.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3639
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
I sort my shorts by colors, stripes, solids, and waist size  :rimshot:

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
I used to do DVDs for every ten shorts. In chronological order of release. I did about 5 DVDs before I just went digital files only. I just name the file with a number and the title. Like for the latest it is RTS-195-BatmanTakesOver.mkv
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I got to thinking because of the new Batman short, which is more accurately a serial. So I was thinking of creating folders for "Education, Etiquette, Health & Hygiene, etc" but I've already got about 11 categories and I keep running into shorts that don't quite fit into a specific category.

This may be a fools errand.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
If they do the entirety of the Batman serial, I may just break with tradition and put all those on a separate DVD.

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
I basically do the same thing as Torso.  I'm at work now, but RTS195 sounds right.  As far as movies go, I used to have them separated by VOD and MP3, and then putting them in folders by series (like Twilight, Star Wars, etc.)...but that got to be cumbersome so now I just have them chronolgically numbered from RT001 Roadhouse to RT159(?) Fangs, filling in holes as I purchase.  If you try to do categories, there's always going to be something that just doesn't fit. 

Of course, you could always go autobiographical  ::)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 453
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
My shorts alphabetized themselves in the file-folder on my computer so they got put on DVD in alphabetical order, more or less.  The last couple of ones have been basically in release-date order with the discs having an open file system.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 254
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
Here are my categories:

Christmas
Education (I'm thinking of splitting this between 'for children' and 'for educators')
Employee Training
Food & Health
Miscellaneous
Safety (thinking of splitting this between 'road safety' and the rest)
Sex, Drugs, & Crime
Social Guidance
Sports & Nature
Women

I really wish I had some sort of video player (connected to the TV) that I could put all the shorts on and shuffle play them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:54:42 AM by eegah »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
I just shove them all in a folder marked "shorts" which is a subfolder of a folder called "Rifftrax."

Seems to work fine.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
I also used to do DVD sets, until I realized I MISSED one on the 3rd disc (I had them all numbered right on my list.... I just missed it in the burning somehow) and gave up on the DVD's because I also ran out of shelf space. I still do the movies on DVD.......

...but for absolutely everything riff related, I've been putting them all on my external hard drive in folders. "Rifftrax" (which I am up to 160, due to my inclusion of both Missile To The Moons) "Rifftrax Presents" and "Rifftrax Shorts" namely... in addition to MST3k and Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax Live etc.

I don't break up my shorts by category, because it would be just too confusing and there would be categories I'd have to make up for one single short or whatever....
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Book of Face
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »
I really wish I had some sort of video player (connected to the TV) that I could put all the shorts on and shuffle play them.

I don't know what kind of set up you have, but here's what I did.  I got a cheap small form factor PC (mine was free from a friend, you can find them on Ebay (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc) for like $100 or so, Example), wiped it, installed Windows 7 on it, and put in an HDMI video card ($35, Amazon).  Connected this to my network, and shared all my Rifftrax.  Open VLC, drop all the shorts in a playlist, shuffle.  This is how I watch all my Rifftrax.  Oh, also, I recommend a HTPC remote ($15, Amazon). 

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »

I don't know what kind of set up you have, but here's what I did.  I got a cheap small form factor PC (mine was free from a friend, you can find them on Ebay (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc) for like $100 or so, Example), wiped it, installed Windows 7 on it, and put in an HDMI video card ($35, Amazon).  Connected this to my network, and shared all my Rifftrax.  Open VLC, drop all the shorts in a playlist, shuffle.  This is how I watch all my Rifftrax.  Oh, also, I recommend a HTPC remote ($15, Amazon).

Here's what I did. I got a bio-metric implant in my BRAIN... And then I set up a Unix server inside there where I keep all of the shorts in MP4 on a 6 terabyte flash implant on the back of my neck. So now, I just THINK "rifftrax, shorts, random... play" and it happens in my visual stem.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Book of Face
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »

Here's what I did. I got a bio-metric implant in my BRAIN... And then I set up a Unix server inside there where I keep all of the shorts in MP4 on a 6 terabyte flash implant on the back of my neck. So now, I just THINK "rifftrax, shorts, random... play" and it happens in my visual stem.

Did...did I just get served?  Is that what happened?  Is this the part where I say you're worse than Hitler?  I don't really do forums a lot.