Author Topic: Joel, Trace, and Josh do a DVD commentary for "The Heat"  (Read 4213 times)

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Joel, Trace, and Josh do a DVD commentary for "The Heat"
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:07:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/355791570345271296
https://twitter.com/JElvisWeinstein/status/355815236059676672

No idea if this will be a scripted riff (which would be weird for a comedy) or just the guys goofing off, but it's nice that Paul Feig brought the guys in for something, since I think the last time he worked with them was Freaks and Geeks.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:41:55 PM by doggans »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Joel, Trace, and Josh do a DVD commentary for "The Heat"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
I just watched the first couple minutes and it seems to be true riffing.  Unfortunately it suffers from what they do for most DVD commentary tracks....The movie audio is super low while they talk. It is not ducked. I am going to rip the blu-ray and try to mix it right tonight.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline qlopp

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:43:49 AM »
I mentioned that the MST3K crew did a commentary track for The Heat to my wife in passing, and thought nothing further of it.  Days later I happened across the movie for sale in a department store and saw the squib about "five commentaries including the gang from MST3K" or something similar on the back of the case.  I didn't buy the DVD.  The next day my wife comes home with a new Heat DVD (from Target) and I thankfully put it in the player --- no commentary.  Somehow they sell a version that was just the movie with zero bonus features.  That was disappointing.

The version with the commentary tracks didn't seem to have any special packaging or wording like "bonus features", "director's cut", "extended scenes", etc.  The boxes were nearly identical from memory however the Target DVD did not list commentary under Special Features... yeah, "special" features like a menu and Spanish audio.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:06 AM »
It is only on the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo pack.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »
It is only on the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo pack.

Yep. I discovered that when I got the DVD from Netflix.   :-\

Guess I'll have to swing by & watch the "fixed" mix at your place sometime.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
So has anybody listened to the whole thing? Is it any good? I don't have any desire to see The Heat otherwise. I like Sandra Bullock, but Melissa McCarthy's character looks insufferably annoying.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »

Guess I'll have to swing by & watch the "fixed" mix at your place sometime.

I have been trying. It is hard to deal with.  Right now I am experimenting with mixing the riffed audio with the standard but having trouble.

Offline kiwi.mike

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »
Watched it today. It is definitely more of a commentary than a riff and seems to be unscripted. The guys are just themselves throughout and comment on the movie. It was fun and almost made the movie watchable.

Online wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »
Had no desire to see "The Heat" but I broke down and bought it today just for this commentary (here's hoping a big budget action movie director or two follows Paul Fieg's lead and we get more of this). Won't get a chance to rip it until this weekend. Seems I read somewhere that the Joel/Elvis/Trace commentary is only on the Bluray. Can anyone confirm whether or not the good commentary is on the DVD or just the Bluray? For the sake of speed (and since I really don't care that much about the movie itself), I'd rather just rip the DVD if I can.

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
blu ray only.

Online wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
Yep, blu ray only. Thanks David for the response- saved me time by not having to mess with the DVD.

Was also able to pick out the main audio track and the Joel/Trace/Elvis track pretty easily. The Joel/Trace/Elvis track is the last audio track on the Theatrical Release (not the Uncut version).

And thanks MrTorso for the heads up on the movie audio on the commentary track. I got around it by combining the commentary track with the main audio in Audacity similar to what I'd do with Rifftrax audio when Rifftrax was doing non-VOD releases. Haven't watched the entire movie yet- just skimmed it and what I did seems OK (the wife is working late and this is the type of riffed movie she'll enjoy).

Online wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
Never commented again after watching my ripped riffed version of this and well, I thought it was great. Not the movie ( which was formulaic, predictable, and terrible) but the riffing. Well worth overpaying for the bluray. Makes me wish both that the Cinematic Titanic crew would have done more big budget flicks and for the days when Rifftrax did more big budget movies.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
I've gotta get ahold of the commentary audio. Can't do Blu Ray on my Mac.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
The blu-ray combo pack has gotten pretty cheap, so I bought it and gave the commentary a try.

It is really funny! Considering the fact that the movie is a comedy, we were really surprised at how well they did with it. I would characterize it as much more riff than commentary. I doubt that it was completely unscripted, although it was casual enough to have that feel. I think that's the main thing I miss from the Joel era, the relaxed riffing style. Highly recommended!

The only downside is that the movie audio is low (as MrTorso said). I may do a remix.