login

Author Topic: SDCC 2013!  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
SDCC 2013!
« on: July 17, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
Starting tomorrow, it's San Diego Comic Con time again! And the Rifftrax guys aren't there!

Well, my enthusiasm is muted a bit by that news, but hey, here's a thread for anything interesting that comes out of it. So if someone else gets stabbed by a pencil again, stick that news here.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
Re: SDCC 2013!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
Highly important SDCC News!

Shut up. I think it's important. (And it arrives August 1st.)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7307
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »

shut up and take my etc. etc.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
Awesome, now can they get Ghostbusters? My childhood dream of actually building Spook Central can have a (admittedly rather impotent) outlet!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
Seth Green talking about the Justice League movie.

MTV Guy: "Do you think Cavell and Bale are in it?"

Green: "Yeah, but Bale said he's not playing Batman every again. Maybe they should get Clooney to do it. I though he was good in the role."

Clare Grant (Green's wife): "No. He wasn't."

Obviously, Ms. Grant is far, far smarter than her husband.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Side note:

MTV on their stream of the con has been asking their guests to answer various trivia questions to separate the "real geeks" from the "fake ones." Sample questions: "What are Wolverine's Claws made of?" "What is Superman's real name?" "What district is Caitness from?" "What is a TARDIS?"

Thus far, most of the guests are doing respectfully, although almost all of them knew what actor on Game of Thrones had his little throne chopped off, but didn't know the character's name. Karl Urban got a respectable number right. Harrison Ford didn't get a single one correct. And Pegg, Frost and Wright pretty much aced every question. (And knew what TARDIS stands for. Cause hey,
British after all.)

And wow, Todd McFarlane looks old.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:29:52 PM by Compound »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »
I never like the idea of "separating real geeks from fake ones."  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was all in good fun, but people have different areas of geekiness and the real important thing is passion.  Often, that means knowledge of little details quite often, but not always, let alone knowing all of this stuff.  I'm sure they're alright, but I don't really care about Hunger Games or Game of Thrones.  To me, trying to "out fake geeks" is like that ridiculous "republican purity test" from a few years back.  Why be so exclusionary?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
In Memroriam video for Game of Thrones was shown at their panel.  The Highlight, in an otherwise really boring and uneventful panel. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9m4ZPULXJKw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9m4ZPULXJKw</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »
Tripe, the Athenians are highly saddened by your dislike of Greeks.

But actual, honest to goodness news.

Warner Bros announces a Man of Steel sequel, with a special guest.

At the Warner Bros/Legendary panel at San Diego Comic-Con Zack Snyder was on hand to announce that the "Man of Steel" sequel will official feature Batman!

Harry Lennix, "Man of Steel's" General Swanwick, followed Snyder to read this incredibly intriguing quote:

"I want you to remember, Clark...in all the years to come. In all your private moments. In all the years to come, my hand at your throat. I want you to remember, the one man who beat you."

Which was followed by a Batman/Superman logo!

Both men then left walked off the stage in slow motion while Hall H blew up behind them.

OMG! Dramatic! stuff added by MTV. Now, that quote comes from The Dark Knight Returns, which is interesting. Are they trying to film that? Why would they do that when they released two animated films based on it earlier this year? Wouldn't fans prefer a film where the pair, you know, team up? Anyway, Man of Steel sequel with Batman in it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
More news:

Apparently a Carl's Jr. food truck in SD is selling Pop Tart ice cream sandwiches. 

Yeah, those would probably sell well.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5338
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
I'm a little scatter brained at the moment, seeing as the past few days have seen me rising up at some very early hours (I was up and scooting out the door at 4:45 this morning), along with a whole lotta con walking and stuff buying. And I've got another early morning tomorrow as well, since there's an autograph drawing I want to go to.

The short short version: having a blast so far, and already feel sad that it's so close to being over (even as I pull 18 hour+ days, they just seem to whisk right by).

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 322
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
I was at the Con again this year. Was fun, though I feel like I need to get into the Hall H line now for next year. Here's a link to my recap of my adventures there...

http://www.popmyculturepodcast.com/2013/cole-vs-san-diego-comic-con-2013/
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2502
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
Tripe, the Athenians are highly saddened by your dislike of Greeks.

But actual, honest to goodness news.

Warner Bros announces a Man of Steel sequel, with a special guest.

At the Warner Bros/Legendary panel at San Diego Comic-Con Zack Snyder was on hand to announce that the "Man of Steel" sequel will official feature Batman!

Harry Lennix, "Man of Steel's" General Swanwick, followed Snyder to read this incredibly intriguing quote:

"I want you to remember, Clark...in all the years to come. In all your private moments. In all the years to come, my hand at your throat. I want you to remember, the one man who beat you."

Which was followed by a Batman/Superman logo!

Both men then left walked off the stage in slow motion while Hall H blew up behind them.

OMG! Dramatic! stuff added by MTV. Now, that quote comes from The Dark Knight Returns, which is interesting. Are they trying to film that? Why would they do that when they released two animated films based on it earlier this year? Wouldn't fans prefer a film where the pair, you know, team up? Anyway, Man of Steel sequel with Batman in it.

Before the quote reading Snyder did say something like "we aren't adapting this, but this will give you an idea what we're going for."  Given the look of the logo combined with that quote I think the idea is we'll have a Frank Milleresque Batman who is going to challenge Superman somehow.  This could turn one of the most prevailing complaints about Man of Steel (The high level of destruction Superman failed to prevent) into plot fodder.  Batman would have plenty of reason to distrust Superman after the events in Metropolis.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky