login

Author Topic: Stephen King's Under the Dome unbearably long TV series  (Read 4599 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome miniseries.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »
Ha! Stephen King has an open letter to people who complain about how much was changed:

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

Short version is: Read The Book! It hasn't changed! Ha!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »
Ha! Stephen King has an open letter to people who complain about how much was changed:

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

Short version is: Read The Book! It hasn't changed! Ha!
Well first off, I'm not complaining.  I'm observing.  I sorta like that they're there because it gives people who have read the book the chance to be surprised and wonder how the story plays out.

Secondly, didn't he have a rather different view on Stanley Kubrick's butchering of The Shining?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
That's a fair point but that was different. Kubrick made a completely different movie and named it after King's book. The movie was actually awesome ... but it had nothing to do with the book.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
That's a fair point but that was different. Kubrick made a completely different movie and named it after King's book. The movie was actually awesome ... but it had nothing to do with the book.

Good point.

And in fact, most of King's books are generally filled with characters thinking to themselves that, while that makes great books, it makes hard films to make.  The only guy who did does a good job with them is Frank Darabont (i.e. The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, etc,)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
Junior looks like basically a poor man's (or possibly mannequin) Andy Samberg.  :speechless:

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »

But that's total hogwash.  It had plenty to do with the book.  The main characters were still Jack, Wendy, Danny Torrance, and Dick Halloran.  It was still about Jack getting a job at the Overlook Hotel from Stuart Ullman.  Both times he went crazy and tried to kill his family.  There were differences: BIG ones, but it was till based on the book and dare I say had less deviation than the Under the Dome miniseries does.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Liked the second episode.  Jim Rennie seems less like an evil tyrant and actually seems to be a likeable guy trying to lead in this time of crisis.  In the book, he sorta jumped right into it and began asserting control immediately.  I guess that was a result of the book running on a much shorter timeline.

I wonder how long it will be before people notice Angie is missing.  Dale saw her inside the dome, as did probably a few other witnesses, so Junior can't claim she's out of town.  People, I think, know that she's involved with Junior, so all eyes are gonna be on him soon enough.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 06:17:19 AM »
I'm feeling demoralized by the stakes set up in the series.  With the fire, most of the medical staff and supplies, the meningitis outbreak, and most of the police and all of the fire department outside of the dome, it feels like the deck is way too stacked against the people of Chester's Mill.  And they say the dome is gonna be up for months instead of a week or two?  These people are screwed!

In other news, Big Jim Rennie found Angie.... gonna be fun to see how this plays out.  I get the feeling though that he's not just gonna let her go after Junior's heroics in the clinic and subsequent deputization.

And why did they change Linda's last name?  Also, I didn't recognize her in the scene near the end when she had her hair down and was dressed in civilian clothes.  I'm like "who the fuck is this lady?"

Wasn't Phil Bushey the insane meth cook in the book?  That's a pretty radically different role in the show.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
So now it is going to be an ongoing series:

http://screenrant.com/under-the-dome-season-2-renewal-stephen-king/

I guess I should read the book sooner rather than later.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
NO GOD DAMNIT YOU CAN'T FUCKING DO THIS TO ME.

Look, the reason I didn't watch Lost during its initial run (I marathoned it on Netflix last year) is because I don't like getting jerked around by shows that spin their wheels and set up dumbass mysteries one after the other and wait forever to reveal them.  If that dome is still up after Monday's episode, I quit.  I'm not going through this shit again.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »
Also, Maxine fucking sucks.  Such an obnoxious character.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
Yeah I had only been sticking with this because it was supposed to end this season. Not sure I want to stick it out for another whole season.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome unbearably long TV series.
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 02:44:30 AM »
Yeah I had only been sticking with this because it was supposed to end this season. Not sure I want to stick it out for another whole season.
There's just no way I'm watching beyond Monday's episode.  I barely want to watch it, now that I know for sure the dome won't be destroyed.

See, there's just no way this can turn out well.  You have a dramatic show that relies on mysteries and is a big ratings hit.  That means it's beloved by the network executives.  That means they're heavily encouraged to create new mysteries and discouraged from actually solving them in a timely manner.  It's exactly like what happened with Lost, and why I'm not interested.  I'm not in the mood to get jerked around for several years.

Not to mention that they didn't even try to adapt the book.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 05:28:16 AM »
But they paid a lot for that cow getting sliced in half VFX and dammit they are gonna show it every damn time!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 06:31:35 AM »
And you can watch the reruns on Amazon.com too.

Free if you are prime member.