Author Topic: Man of Steel  (Read 11094 times)

MightyJack

Re: Man of Steel
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 02:05:40 AM »
I'm a comic book reader and yeah, we can be a nit picky lot, resistant to any change... but not all of us are like that. I loved the movie. I was happy to finally get a Superman flick where we don't have to watch that bald git Lex do his damned Kryptonite shtick again.  I was also happy to see one of the most powerful heroes in comics, actually get to put that power to use.

I thought Amy was a great Lois, and I liked the interaction between her and Kal. Like the scenes with the Kent's and seeing Clark on his journey to self discovery. The flick had a good amount action and heart.

There were a few sticky plot points, and I didn't care for the shaky cam stuff. Despite this, it might very well be my favorite Superman movie (after all, no God damned Otis!)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
Legendary to Decide on Warner Bros. Renewal Within Next 60 Days
Quote from: Marc Graser
Legendary Entertainment will decide whether to stay at Warner Bros within the next 60 days, according to Thomas Tull.

The Legendary chief disclosed the time frame during a presentation of the company’s upcoming film slate to press in Hollywood.

Tull said the two companies are in very different position from when they first paired up to co-finance and co-produce tentpoles in 2005.

“We are talking to everyone,” Tull said, including Warner Bros., with Kevin Tsujihara now heading the studio. Since taking control of the studio in March, Tsujihara has “been getting his arms around the situation,” of whether to continue its relationship with Legendary. “He’s been great,” Tull said.

Warner Bros. is evaluating the types of partnerships it wants to be in, and the amount of ownership it wants over its franchises, Tull said. Outside of “Harry Potter,” Warner Bros. rarely owns 100% of its tentpoles, opting to share the risk with other financiers. That includes DC’s superhero pics, which Legendary has helped finance over the years, including Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, “Superman Returns” and “Man of Steel.” That is likely to change under Tsujihara.

Legendary also wants to maintain more ownership in its tentpoles, which includes this summer’s giant robot vs. monster mashup “Pacific Rim,” out in July, under the helm of Guillermo del Toro. Future films Tull promoted during the presentation included “300: Rise of an Empire;” fantasy pic “Seventh Son;” an untitled cyberthriller that Michael Mann is helming and stars Chris Hemsworth; videogame adaptation “Warcraft;” thriller “As Above So Below;” and supernatural actioner “Spectral.”

“We want to grow to a size and want to control as much of our destiny as much as possible,” Tull said, adding that any studio it decides to partner with would have to agree to “help fulfill the grand vision” Legendary has to build a larger entertainment company that produces not just films, but TV shows, digital content and publishes comicbooks that appeal to fans of genre fare.

Tull called Tsujihara “a very smart guy” and praised the exec for being “a straight shooter,” something that helped the two connect over the years.

“Whether we’re there or not, they have a bright future,” Tull said of Warner Bros. “We will continue to be friends.” But if Legendary does leave the lot, “I’m going to be grateful for the time we had,” Tull added. “We wouldn’t be where we are without Warner Bros.”
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 02:12:47 AM »
I'm a comic book reader and yeah, we can be a nit picky lot, resistant to any change... but not all of us are like that. I loved the movie. I was happy to finally get a Superman flick where we don't have to watch that bald git Lex do his damned Kryptonite shtick again.  I was also happy to see one of the most powerful heroes in comics, actually get to put that power to use.

I thought Amy was a great Lois, and I liked the interaction between her and Kal. Like the scenes with the Kent's and seeing Clark on his journey to self discovery. The flick had a good amount action and heart.

There were a few sticky plot points, and I didn't care for the shaky cam stuff. Despite this, it might very well be my favorite Superman movie (after all, no God damned Otis!)

It jumped into the lead as my favorite Superman movie instantly, and the lack of Otis certainly didn't hurt its case.  Comic relief is one thing, but that character just annoyed me, and I was never a fan of Hackman's Lex. 

Finally we have a live action Superman movie with a damn good villain that isn't boring.  (I have to qualify that, because I think Spacey was a great Luthor, but him and a few visuals were the only things still worth noting in Superman Returns.)
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline tejava joe

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »
Did anyone else notice that each and every setting in the entire movie was destroyed?  Perry's office, Kent's house, even the IHOP.

It was a deliberate attempt to create a visceral effect by destroying the audience's bearings. 

The visceral effect is a deliberate strategy
a) to prevent the brain from falling asleep to the barrage of CGI and
b) because fear sells

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 07:44:13 AM »
Did anyone else notice that each and every setting in the entire movie was destroyed?  Perry's office, Kent's house, even the IHOP.

It was a deliberate attempt to create a visceral effect by destroying the audience's bearings. 

The visceral effect is a deliberate strategy
a) to prevent the brain from falling asleep to the barrage of CGI and
b) because fear sells

Omygosh, I can feel myself starting to fall asleep just reading that!

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
I have not seen any comments on the fact that

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »

I'm cool with it. Besides

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »

RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »
Liked Lois Lane and the total lack of Lex Luthor or Kryptonite. I think they sold the issue as to final fate of Zod but blew it on Paw Kent suggesting Clark should let people die rather than give away his secret. When Jonathan died I was glad to see him go.
Main thing I disliked was the way-too-loooooong opening on Krypton. Ever since the first Donner movie, that planet has been this icy shit-hole that you wonder why anyone would want to live there. Plus they oversold the history of their space program, considering the only people who survive the planet's death other than Kal are the phantom zone criminals in their big-ass spaceship. I think the whole planet actually fell into a plothole.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »

Allow a comic book geek to pop in:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
I was a little bothered by Superman killing Zod. But by that point I was already really irritated with the movie and Superman for not even trying to draw Zod away from the city so that their superfight could have less casualties.

One thing that really irritated me was that they essentially ripped off one of the scenes from Superman 2 that always irritated me in that movie. The guy at the bar picking a fight with Clark Kent. This douchbag picks a fight with a stranger significantly taller and FAR more muscular than he is. I don't care if Clark Kent has glasses or act kinda meek. HE'S STILL 6'5 AND BUILT LIKE A GODDAMN LINEBACKER!  It pissed me off in Superman 2, and I understood Superman had just lost his powers (although could still survive the walk from the north pole?). But Clark Kent doesn't have to have superpowers to at least hold his own with that guy at the bar in a fight! And in this movie Clark had his powers, he just didn't want to expose himself. Um...you could just hit him with "normal" strength. You know how to do that. That's why you are holding those plates and not shattering them. Just don't punch through his sternum and I'm pretty sure nobody is going to go "Holy shit, the guy built like a brick shithouse and managed to beat up somebody smaller than him MUST be an alien!"

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »
Holy crap, you guys, the things we choose to care about!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
I wasn't too bothered by Superman killing Zod. First of all, what other choice was there? There was no stopping Zod or EVER stopping him.  This is also "early" Superman, maybe this moment brings him to his "don't kill" code.  Further the killing impacted him. He broke down and wept. screamed and was ANGUISHED.  This is a lot different than Batman Begins where Batman tells Ras "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." then lets Ras die in a train crash while he goes off to make-out with Katie Holmes. THAT was against Batman, a guy who will NOT kill, ever, under any circumstance and has gone OUT OF HIS WAY to even save his enemies.

Superman, by and large, won't kill and will only use as much of his strength as his absolutely has to and he'll do so as much as he can to prevent loss of civilian life and property damage but when push comes to shove he'll do what needs to be done.  Killing Zod was his only choice or more innocents and property will be lost.  And, again, most of all the killing IMPACTED him!

It's not like he did it, shrugged, and said "NBD, where's Lois at? I want a piece of that."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
Yeah, he grieved in THAT scene. But seemed to be over it in the next. And really, if he could break his neck like that, he could have beaten him unconscious and then figured out how to deal with him. Also, PUT YOUR HAND IN FRONT OF ZOD'S EYES! Immediate problem solved.