login

Author Topic: Movies that make you upset  (Read 4225 times)

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
Re: Movies that make you upset
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 09:23:47 AM »
Drag Me To Hell because its the most meanspirited movie I've ever seen. Its just ... mean. I've watched 100s of horror movies and seen thousands of movie cases where bad things happen to good people but this is the only time it came across as bitter and mean spirited.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
Drag Me To Hell because its the most meanspirited movie I've ever seen. Its just ... mean. I've watched 100s of horror movies and seen thousands of movie cases where bad things happen to good people but this is the only time it came across as bitter and mean spirited.
Really? The main difference between it and the Evil Dead movies is that here the abuse is being heaped on a woman instead of a man (with a woman's name).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »
I haven't seen Cabin Fever, I will say something I like about Hostel is that there are three characters and the character who becomes are hero is not the character you expect, although it makes sense.  He's the sort of unlikable character who usually dies early on while the character who you expect to make it through the movie due to his niceness and non-douchiness actually dies at the midway point.  That sounds bad but it really allows a character you usually dismiss in these movies a chance to show that there is more too him (it's not terribly deep, but storywise it toys with expectations).

There's a bit of that with the first Evil Dead using different traits.  It gets a bit lost now that viewers pretty much know that Ash is the center of the universe, but when the first movie was standing on its own Ash was the less likely survivor.  They purposefully made Scott look more capable and heroic when the attacks started, with Ash being trapped under shelves or reluctant to fight.  Once Scott turns into an asshole and goes off on his own, the intention was for the audience to feel betrayed and stuck with Ash before he rises to the occasion.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »
I haven't seen Cabin Fever, I will say something I like about Hostel is that there are three characters and the character who becomes are hero is not the character you expect, although it makes sense.  He's the sort of unlikable character who usually dies early on while the character who you expect to make it through the movie due to his niceness and non-douchiness actually dies at the midway point.  That sounds bad but it really allows a character you usually dismiss in these movies a chance to show that there is more too him (it's not terribly deep, but storywise it toys with expectations).

There's a bit of that with the first Evil Dead using different traits.  It gets a bit lost now that viewers pretty much know that Ash is the center of the universe, but when the first movie was standing on its own Ash was the less likely survivor.  They purposefully made Scott look more capable and heroic when the attacks started, with Ash being trapped under shelves or reluctant to fight.  Once Scott turns into an asshole and goes off on his own, the intention was for the audience to feel betrayed and stuck with Ash before he rises to the occasion.
Yeah, I think that's the reason they had Ash get trapped under the shelf.
This also means that a low budget independent horror movie has actual (gasp) CHARACTER ARC and DEVELOPEMENT! Something studio horror movies nowadays couldn't do properly on a bet.