login

Author Topic: Grand Moff Cushing  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Grand Moff Cushing
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »
I'm usually a HUGE fan of The Coosh, but... wow, what the hell was THAT?! At first I honestly thought it was John Carradine and that Peter Cushing would be along shortly.

Nope.

This is by far the worst thing I've ever seen him in. Even Christopher Lee gave a respectable performance in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

But maybe I'm being too harsh. This is supposed to be a kids movie, right?

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
Re: Grand Moff Cushing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
Well, yeah, it is supposed to be a kids movie.  Without any apparent action or humor. I'd love to hear what a 1964-kid contemporary would have thought about it. I remember seeing the movie Magic Sword (MST3K) when I was little, and that was a Michael Bey movie compared to this. Maybe Cushing decided he needed a few months "paid vacation" when he signed this one.
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline SpinyNorman

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
I recall seeing this as a kid in the cinema in the late 1960s. The two Doctor Who films were often shown together as a Saturday matinee show for children. You have to remember how popular Doctor Who and especially the Daleks were back then and this was the only chance you got to see them in COLOUR!!! Ian was played by Roy Castle who was a well known childrens entertainer of his day, went on to do a lot of kids TV. I think Cushing & Castle were cast to give the film some recognisable 'star' quality.

At 10yrs old you dont really notice the plot holes or the fact this was a blatant cash-in.

Of other riffed films, this is probably closest to Jack the Giant Killer in tone & I think these sorts of films are prime riff-fodder.

Offline swstephe

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:33:48 PM »
I just realized -- Peter Cushing would have turned 100 years old last weekend, (May 26, 2013).

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
"At 10yrs old you dont really notice the plot holes or the fact this was a blatant cash-in."

Thanks for responding! I don't think we Yanks fully understand the huge cultural influence Dr. Who was/is for kids "across the pond." [Although I do remember seeing glimpses of Tom Baker epsiodes my brother watched and finding The Doctor strangely attractive...] Kind of makes me all squishy. I think The Doctor was probably a better influence than the bad trip Magic Sword was ... I'm not sure I ever recovered!
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.