login

Author Topic: Who did we learn about this time?  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 453
Who did we learn about this time?
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
I learned that this movie is probably not good as my first exposure to Dr. Who. Mostly because it drastically lacks Karen Gillan.  ;D

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
Re: Who did we learn about this time?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
I learned that murdering somebody while they are frantically begging for their lives to be spared is FUNNY when it's a Dalek!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »
I continue to learn I just don't get British "humor."  I mean, the shtick of the guy IS supposed to be funny right?  His pointy loafers, his oafishness, the "whimsy" of "The Doctor", the whole shtick of the entire movie?

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 52
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:07 PM »
Carl the Dalek +Ian+Rule 34

Think about it folks

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
I learned that every Dalek is named "Carl."

I also learned that you can have things in your movie that make no sense like time machines that run on Mercury and are vastly larger on the inside than the out and not need to really explain it. (And, yeah, I know the latter is an aspect of the show but considering in the show the TARDIS is alien/future technology it gets some hand waving as opposed to being something built by a senile, stammering, British, Doc Brown.

I learned that ideas and solutions can just spontaneously come to you, usually when its convenient to do so. Also often when it's out of your own bum.  Seriously, some plot points in this movie came down with the subtlety of a lead weight.

I learned that British people are quite calm when going to pick up a date and her crazy grandfather starts showing you a machine that breaks physical, spatial and chronological law.

Offline fodder650

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
I think I learned that the candy store owner in Willy Wonko is the same guy that played Ian in this. Although IMDB isn't sure I am right or wrong.
Fodder's just this guy, you know.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
This is the first, and likely only exposure to Dr. Who that I have ever had, so the learning will probably end here.

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4235
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »

I also learned that you can have things in your movie that make no sense like time machines that run on Mercury and are vastly larger on the inside than the out and not need to really explain it. (And, yeah, I know the latter is an aspect of the show but considering in the show the TARDIS is alien/future technology it gets some hand waving as opposed to being something built by a senile, stammering, British, Doc Brown.

Almost the same things can be said about Willy Wonka, as well.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
I learned that one of the most powerful races in the universe can be defeated by rope.

I also learned that the doddering old fool characterization is the best way to hide the fact that an actor is seventy freaking feet tall and has hands the size of basketballs. If Peter Cushing were born in 1984 he'd be SO NBA right now.
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline McGrignr

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:01:23 AM »
I learned that murdering somebody while they are frantically begging for their lives to be spared is FUNNY when it's a Dalek!

They didn't murder it, they blocked its power supply using the cape. The scene mostly plays out the same as the original episode, except in the series, the Dalek was repeating "KEEP AWAY FROM ME" instead of "HELP ME HELP ME". Then the Doctor and Ian open the hatch to peek inside, the alien creature burbles at them, they slam the lid shut, look at each other, and THEN tell the girls to go to the hallway and keep watch while they wrap it in the cloak and toss it in the corner. The movie changed a few bits after they power it down, with 1) the Dalek not making any noise as they take it out of the armor, 2) Susan asking "Do you think it's dead?", which is the only mention of death here in either version, and 3) Barbara and Susan being told to go watch the corridor before they see what's inside.

In both the movie and the episode, the creature part is still alive and crawls out from under the cloak after they've left. Ian just rides in the armored shell, and in the movie I was waiting for the part where he figures out the controls and pilots it himself, but that didn't happen.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »

They didn't murder it, they blocked its power supply using the cape. The scene mostly plays out the same as the original episode, except in the series, the Dalek was repeating "KEEP AWAY FROM ME" instead of "HELP ME HELP ME". Then the Doctor and Ian open the hatch to peek inside, the alien creature burbles at them, they slam the lid shut, look at each other, and THEN tell the girls to go to the hallway and keep watch while they wrap it in the cloak and toss it in the corner. The movie changed a few bits after they power it down, with 1) the Dalek not making any noise as they take it out of the armor, 2) Susan asking "Do you think it's dead?", which is the only mention of death here in either version, and 3) Barbara and Susan being told to go watch the corridor before they see what's inside.

In both the movie and the episode, the creature part is still alive and crawls out from under the cloak after they've left. Ian just rides in the armored shell, and in the movie I was waiting for the part where he figures out the controls and pilots it himself, but that didn't happen.

Oh, of course. I'll be sure to consult the Dr. Who wiki next time.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 11:03:49 AM »
I learned that one of the most powerful races in the universe can be defeated by rope.

I also learned that the doddering old fool characterization is the best way to hide the fact that an actor is seventy freaking feet tall and has hands the size of basketballs. If Peter Cushing were born in 1984 he'd be SO NBA right now.

And Christopher Lee is even bigger, 6'5" and is kind of stronger looking too.  They would make a good combo pair playing defense around a net you would NOT want to try a small jumper shot near by.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
I learned all it takes to make a transdimensional conveyance is an outhouse and christmas lights. 

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 04:33:10 AM »
I've been wondering for years why the Daleks never released a soft voice Christmas album.

Now I know why.

I also learned that charging roman troops were 20 feet tall.   When they charged the tardis at the end the tardis view was at their knees.

Offline McGrignr

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 04:48:25 AM »
I've been wondering for years why the Daleks never released a soft voice Christmas album.

They did, however, release this.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The single tried to turn the sinister Daleks into another version of the Chipmunks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:00:08 AM by McGrignr »