login

Author Topic: Penn and Teller: BS!  (Read 31583 times)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
Re: Penn and Teller: BS!
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2007, 03:23:05 AM »
Eh, I realized I didn't really need to voice my opinion on the matter. I didn't want to be taken too seriously as taking one side or the other. And besides, the debate was fairly light hearted even if it was passionate.

But I will say that it was a good debate and beenie won.  (Happy now, pyro?) :)

Anyways... the episode was awesome. "Do I smell pie?" Needless to say I feel better about myself, having seen a viewpoint on the show that I hadn't quite considered. Tomorrow I shall celebrate - mexican for lunch, Wendy's for dinner. Sounds like a great day.

yep  :clap: (since there's no thumbs up)

Did you also watch This American Life after it?  That's something I'm looking forward to catching after how much my friend plays it up.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2007, 02:34:55 PM »
First off, sarc, I never said I hated anybody. Although I try to be as positive as I can, I'm no Pollyanna; I recognize that humanity DOES have problems, and that religion is at the top of the list (I'm not even sure there's a close second). That said, when it comes down to discussing and debating serious things, I find that, in general, I prefer talking to a hardcore religious person over a hardcore leftist. Why? Because, in my experience (and again, I'm speaking in generalities; I don't mean to imply that this is my exclusive experience, or that my experiences apply to everyone), a religious person is far more likely to tell me what they believe, as opposed to leftists, who are far more likely to tell me why I should believe what they believe. It's an interesting irony that I generally feel less proselytised to by christians than I do by Democrats. Maybe religious people are more likely to be taught the maxim of good manners which states that there's an appropriate time and place to be pushy about your viewpoint; I dunno. What I DO know is that religious people seem to be more content to simply have their particular viewpoint, and to honestly state the truth as they see it. This is in sharp contrast to leftists, who seem to feel like they've somehow failed as people if they can't convince you how right they are. Although they may be wrong (and BOY HOWDY, are they), I respect religious people's approach more, as it's more like my own (however stridently I might express my points, try to remember that all I'm ever doing is telling the truth as I see it). People who are constantly trying to politick me come across, quite frankly, as a bit insecure that anyone could possibly be okay with things not being the way they want them. One thing to understand about me is that I reject utterly ANY philosophy which demands that other people change; to make your happiness dependent on other people being the way you want them to be is a surefire recipe for a life of abject misery. I mean, think a minute about those morons with the bumper sticker on their cars that reads, "Is It 2008 Yet?" Apart from the civic laziness of such a credo, how pathetic do you have to be to make your own ability to live the life you want for yourself conditional on who the fuck's in the White House?

Second, as far as Randy's tone goes, I only said what it felt like to me; I tried not to assume that he meant it that way (if I came across like I did, I apologize), and I believe him when he says he didn't.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Reductio_ad_absurdum

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »
I call BS on them personally.  They use the same arguements as every other anti-Christian such as taking Scriptures out of context, "the Bible teaches to kill", and other quotations from the great "How to Attack Christianity" pamphlet.  Nice way of condensing 2,000 years of theological, philosophical, and practical thought!

And its only the beginning too, better get on that bandwagon folks cause the persecutions just beginning!  There hasn't been a good one since Justin the Apostate!

EDIT:  I'm in a really sarcastic mood by the way, but this is how it feels to me.  I hear this crap over and over and over!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:55:06 PM by Reductio_ad_absurdum »

Offline MasterChief

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • Ruining the Covenant's day since 1999
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
I call BS on them personally.  They use the same arguements as every other anti-Christian such as taking Scriptures out of context, "the Bible teaches to kill", and other quotations from the great "How to Attack Christianity" pamphlet.  Nice way of condensing 2,000 years of theological, philosophical, and practical thought!

what are you talking about? since when has it been practical to kill firstborn children, or to own slaves? taking quotes out of context is one thing but it's the overall tone of the book that pisses me off. i guess i just don't quite understand. how do you get philosophy from a vengeful, murderous being such as the god of the old testament? i can quote many passages of the bible that seem to promote violence against others, all as part of god's will. how is that taking anything out of context, and how do you get a positive message from it?
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.

• Big Montana
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »

what are you talking about? since when has it been practical to kill firstborn children, or to own slaves? taking quotes out of context is one thing but it's the overall tone of the book that pisses me off. i guess i just don't quite understand. how do you get philosophy from a vengeful, murderous being such as the god of the old testament? i can quote many passages of the bible that seem to promote violence against others, all as part of god's will. how is that taking anything out of context, and how do you get a positive message from it?

Page 2 of "How to Attack Christianity":  "Show the startling contrast between God in the Old Testament and New Testament.  Be careful not to get trapped when Christians give you examples of how "He" was consistent."

Page 3 of "How to Attack Christianity":  "Remember to bring to the front all of the Old Testament laws, that though don't have any relevance to even modern Judaism, that show brutal acts given to the Israelites by God.  Leave out all historical context of the world at the time for better effect."

*Sigh*

Heard it all before, kid.  You know there is a clear difference between the Covenant of Abraham and the one created when Christ was crucified right?  Also, Psalms and the works of the Prophets that have many examples of how your "vengeful, murderous being" was the exact opposite?

EDIT:  I wouldn't continue you this if I was you, for I'm going to just be cracking jokes from here on out.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:50:46 PM by Reductio_ad_absurdum »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:34 PM »
So the god who holds us accountable for the sin of a man who lived thousands of years ago, shouldn't expect his history to be at all relevant?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2007, 08:55:35 PM »
Or is he a new man now? He's really changed this time, He promised!

• Big Montana
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »
This is utterly hilarious.  I make a comment on how I dislike Penn and Teller (the point of this thread) and I get lambasted for my beliefs.  You know why I haven't read Deuteronomy and Leviticus and why I skip around with the Old Testament, because beyond the messages of David, Solomon, and the Prophets I feel that it is not essential to my Christian walk. 

I'm not playing that game.  Get over your own hatred for Christianity and God.  You hardened your heart a long time ago, and nothing I say will change that so I ain't saying squat.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2007, 09:36:15 PM »
I know, It's terrible when people cherry pick from the bible isn't it.

• Big Montana
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2007, 09:40:55 PM »
I know, It's terrible when people cherry pick from the bible isn't it.

Again, you are confusing me with someone else.  Do I look like a Right-wing fundamentalist?  You are at war with someone else, not me.

And if that isn't your insinuation, then what is your point?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
There is almost nothing funnier than a christian in a 'western' country playing the poor maligned minority card.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Big Montana
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
There is almost nothing funnier than a christian in a 'western' country playing the poor maligned minority card.

At what point did I ever play that card?  By refusing to go into a debate?  By saying what I predicted of the future?

You have a problem, and it isn't with me.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »
the great "How to Attack Christianity" pamphlet
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

• Big Montana
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
the great "How to Attack Christianity" pamphlet

That really flew over your head didn't it?  Will I have to make these little [Satire][/Satire] next time?  I was saying that I felt that some Atheists were using an invisible pamphlet of pedantics for arguing with me.

Again I will say this, the Covenant with Abraham was fulfilled through Christ.  Christ nullified many of the laws in his own ministry!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
Yes, your scathing wit is far too advanced for me. 

OR that little non-joke may possibly have lead to my "there is almost nothing funnier than a christian in a 'western' country playing the poor maligned minority card" comment.

Scottotd on Instagram