Author Topic: LoC 70: Top 50 Musicals!  (Read 24077 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 70: Top 50 Musicals!
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aXlnMveRt-Y?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aXlnMveRt-Y?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 5 : Grease
(95 points on 5 of 12 lists. Top Vote #1 by Routing Protocols and Mrs. Dick Courier)

Synopsis:
In 1959, Danny Zuko meets the vacationing Sandy Olsson and they fall in love over the summer. Returning to high school for his senior year, Danny discovers that Sandy has transferred to his school. Due to peer pressure, Danny must pretend to be aloof to her.

Skipping ahead, Danny and the rest of the -Birds work on a sooped up Hot Rods, the girls have a slumber party. There's a televised school dance. Rizzo thinks she's pregnant. Frenchy wants to become a beautician, but an angel convinces her to go back to high school. Danny and Sandy break up. There's a race, which Danny wins. And on the last day of school, Sandy changes everything about herself so that Danny will take her back. Then they fly off in their flying car.

Memorable Songs:
The title song, "Greased Lightning", "Beauty School Dropout", "You're the One that I Want", "We Go Together"

Awards:
A People's Choice Award

Trivia Notes:
Paramount planned to make 5 Grease films and a TV series. After the flop of Grease 2, those plans were scrapped.

Coming Soon:
And we revisit an earlier entry...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSFLZ-MzIhM?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jSFLZ-MzIhM?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 4 : The Muppet Movie
(101 points on 5 of 12 lists. Top Vote #2 by Johnny Unusual)

Synopsis:
In a Florida swamp, Kermit the Frog sings a song while strumming a banjo. He is interrupted by a lost talent agent, who encourages him to join show business. Kermit sets off to Hollywood but encounters Doc Hopper, owner of a frog legs chain of restaurants and wishes Kermit to become his spokesfrog.  Kermit rejects the offer and meets struggling comic Fozzie Bear, who joins him on his journey. As they travel, they are joined by many other Muppets, including the love struck beauty queen Miss Piggy.

After their car breaks down in the desert, the crew is rescued by Dr. Teeth and His Electric Mayhem Band, who read the script and knew of the breakdown, and continue on. In a nearby ghost town, the group is confronted by Doc Hopper, who has hired an assassin to kill Kermit. But a mishap from Dr. Honeydew saves the group and they all proceed to Hollywood. Once there, they meet powerful studio exec Lew Lord, who tells them to turn the experience into a movie. And they all live happily ever after.

Memorable Songs:
Aside from Rainbow Connection, "Moving Right Along" and "Never Before"

Awards:
Added to the National Film Registry in 2009. Grammy for Best Children's Album for the soundtrack.

Trivia Notes:
The Blu-ray of The Muppet Movie will be released on August 13, 2013.

Most of the original songs in the movie were written by Paul Williams, who among many, many other projects recently wrote songs for Daft Punk. Yep, Daft Punk fans, the guy who wrote songs for The Carpenters and the theme for The Love Boat did a song on their new album.

Coming Soon:
What's this? A tie. Sigh.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 915
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
Dude, you gotta learn to draw these things out more, like I did. Granted that was largely due to inexperience and poor planning. But it did give people time to discuss.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZuWD-mSUtrU?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZuWD-mSUtrU?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 3 : The Nightmare Before Christmas
(101 points on 5 of 12 lists. Top Vote #1 by Darth Geek)

Synopsis:
Across the universe, there exist a number of towns that control each holiday. In Halloween Town, the ruler Jack "The Pumpkin King" Skellington, leads the celebration of each Halloween and the preparation for the next one. But he's grown tired of the routine and longs for something different. One day, while wandering in the forest, he comes across the door to Christmas Town.  Falling in love with the idea of Christmas, he returns to Halloween town to attempt to replicate the feeling there , but to no avail. So he decides to take over Christmas instead. While the town residents build presents, Jack sends a trio to kidnap the Santy Claws. They do so, but deliver him to the Evil Oogie Boogie instead.

On Christmas Eve, Sally, who is in love with Jack, tries to sabotage the flight, but Jack heads off into the sky in a sleigh pulled by 8 skeletal reindeer to deliver the presents. It goes badly. Meanwhile, Sally heads off to free Santa, but is captured instead. Jack, having decided to embrace Halloween, appears and fights Boogie, defeating him and freeing Santa, who heads off to deliver the real presents. But Santa leaves the residents with a gift- a gift of snowfall. The residents frolic, and Jack and Sally head to the cemetery where they admit their love.

Memorable Songs:
"This Is Halloween", "Kidnap the Sandy Claws", "Making Christmas"

Awards:
Many nominations, but few wins.

Trivia Notes:
The Jack skeleton made a cameo in James and the Giant Peach as an undead pirate captain. Jack himself appears as a character in several of the Kingdom Hearts games.

The film was originally released under the Touchstone label, as Disney felt that the film might be too mature for its audience. However, the most recent releases of the film place it under the Disney label.

For whatever reason, a Nightmare Before Christmas branded Jenga game was released. And yes, it had both purple and orange pieces. (I wish I'd known this last year for that list..)

Coming Soon:
Number 2. Mike will be pleased.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k8mtXwtapX4?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k8mtXwtapX4?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 2 : Once
(128 points on 6 of 12 lists. Top Vote #1 by Johnny Unusual)

Synopsis:
An Irish busker, "Guy" performs on the streets of Dublin, trying to make ends meet. An immigrant Czech flower girl, "Girl" talks to him about his music and, upon discovering that he also fixes vacuums, asks him to fix a broken Hoover.

While he fixes the cleaner, she reveals that she is also a musician, a piano player. He teaches her one of his songs and they begin to perform together.  She soon discovers that most of Guy's songs are about a girl who cheated on him and left him heart broken. Guy makes a romantic move towards her, but she refuses.

Astime proceeds, Guy thinks more and more about his ex-girlfriend who has moved to London. After being invited to dinner by Girl, Guy discovers that she has a toddler. While preparing to cut a demo of their songs, Girl reveals that she's married and her husband is still in the Czech Republic. When asked if she still loves him, she only answers in Czech. They cut an album, impressing the studio engineer. Guy asks her to move to London with him, but the prospect of Girl's mother and child joining them isn't something Guy is prepared for.

The pair walk home. Girl reveals that her husband will be coming to live with her in Dublin. Guy asks her to spend his final night in Dublin with him , but she thinks it would be a bad idea. Guy leaves for London without a goodbye from Girl. In London, he reunites with his ex-girlfriend. Girl's husband arrives in Dublin and the reunite. And guy's final gift arrives, a Petrof piano for Girl to play.

Memorable Songs:
While there are a number of other songs in the film, "Falling Slowly" is really the one that hits most people right between the eyes. Just a truly gorgeous song. the other songs are great, but they tend to be overshadowed by that one.

I will give props to "Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy" though, simply due to the name.

Awards:
2007 Best Original Song Oscar for "Falling Slowly. " 8 Tony Awards, including Best Musical.

Trivia Notes:
Yes, there is a musical version of Once. It differs slightly as Guy moves to New York. Guy and Girl are both a bit less rounded  and it ends with both staring at the sky, playing the same song. It's "Falling Slowly", of course.

BTW: Girl's answer of "Muju tebe" translates to "It is you I love" according to Czech speakers.

Coming Soon:
Our number 1 musical. And if you know our forum, well, you won't be surprised by what it is.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
Yeah, I gotta do the medley. It's what I do.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LonKGuS9uuQ?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LonKGuS9uuQ?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 1 : South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut
(147 points on 7 of 12 lists. Top Vote #1 by Pak-Man)

Synopsis:
In South Park, Colorado four friends, Stan, Kyle , Kenny and Cartman head to the movie theater to see the new Terrance and Phillip film, but are denied since it's an "R" raed film. They pay a homeless man to see it with them and learn a few new words while watching. After using those words, the quartet is sent to the school counselor, where they reveal where they learned those words. The parents are outraged and the kids are sent to rehab to stop swearing. there Wendy, Stan's crush, falls in love with a new exchange student, Gregory. Kenny dies, again, and ends up in Hell. Meanwhile the parents have organized a nation-wide protest against Terrance and Philip, who are arrested while on the Conan O'Brien show.

Canada responds by bombing the Baldwin brothers, and the US declares war on Canada and announces that they will be executed on live TV. And Cartman has a v-chip inserted inside him that will shock him whenever he curses. The children decide to free Terrance and Philip themselves, forming "La Resistance."

Meanwhile in Hell, Saddam Hussein and Satan have been in an abusive relationship, and Kenny recommends that Satan break up with him.

Back in town, La Resistance infiltrates the USO show. the kids free the comics, but the Canadian army arrives and launches an attack. As Kyle's mom shoots Terrance and Philip, the gates to hell open and Saddam Hussein arises from the depths. Finally having enough, Satan casts Saddam back into hell and grants Kenny a wish for his advice. He wishes for everything to return to normal. The dead arise, the war ends and Kenny ascends into Heaven, accompanied by a flight of angels as the town sings their joy.

Memorable Songs:
"Mountain Song", "Blame Canada", "It's Easy Mmmkay" "Kyle's Mom's a Bitch", "What Would Brian Botaino Do?" Among others.

Awards:
"Blame Canada" was nominated for an Oscar, but lost to "You'll Be in My Heart", which didn't sit well with Stone and Parker.

Trivia Notes:
Conan O'Brian showed a clip of his death obtained from a bootlegged VHS when Stone and Parker appeared on his show, promoting the movie.

The film held the Guinness Record for "Most profanities used in an animated film" with 399 profanities used during the film, roughly one every 6 seconds. In 2011, it lost that position to, yep, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

It is alleged that American troops tormented Saddam Hussein during his imprisonment by showing him this movie over and over. It's not evident if this is true or not, but Stone and Parker were given a signed photo of the dictator by returning US troops.

In 2011,Time called the film "the finest musical score since MGM's glory days." So it's not just us having weird tastes. The same article labeled the film as the sixth best animated film of all time as well.

Coming Soon:
Nothing! So long! Farewell!  Auf Wiedersehen! Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee!

Offline CJones

« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »
Yeah, I had South Park at #2. And y'know, it really was very good. I was pretty surprised.

But what the hell is Once?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
But what the hell is Once?
Delightful.

Offline CJones

« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »
The Mikado was performed by the D'Oyly Carte Opera company from 1885 to 1982.
My aunt was with the company in the last four years of its existence.

I had the Mikado down too though I love most of the other Savoy Operas it seemed the best representation for inclusion on the list.

Here's Saruman singing my favourite tune from the show:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iETKgc7e0Zk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iETKgc7e0Zk</a>

Nice. And Lee seemed to do a good job. I've actually never heard the D'Oly Carte production of The Mikado (unless you count Topsy Turvy). I always liked the "On a cloth untrue, with a twisted cue, and elliptical billiard balls" bit."

Modern productions of G&S operettas almost always modernize the songs like these. If it's done well it can work, but too often it turns into annoying pop culture references.

The one I had at #3 on my list was The Pirates of Penzance. I've seen the stage production of this, but what really got me into Gilbert & Sullivan was the little known movie version starring Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, Angela Landsbury, George Rose and Rex Smith.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lbwl9QNZgfI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lbwl9QNZgfI</a>

I don't know why the trailer is in black & white, but the movie is in color. Unfortunately, while the movie was in production, the studio changed owners, and the new owners made sure anything green lit by the previous owners bombed. And it bombed hard. I have two original VHS copies of the movie. Sadly, it's never been released on DVD. EDIT: I just checked Amazon, and apparently it has been released on DVD since last I checked.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »
Modern productions of G&S operettas almost always modernize the songs like these. If it's done well it can work, but too often it turns into annoying pop culture references.
Yeah and those end up seeming more dated weirdly enough, though obviously few productions use the completely original version of A More Humane Mikado....

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe that Once took number 2.  I love that movie.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
Great list. Surprised there wasn't a lot more Disney, but maybe that's just because that's the way I take my musicals.

My list:

1. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
2. The Lion King
3. The Muppet Movie
4. James and the Giant Peach
5. The Wizard of Oz
6. The Nightmare Before Christmas
7. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
8. Cinderella
9. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
10. Spamalot
11. Mary Poppins
12. Beauty and the Beast
13. The Great Muppet Caper
14. Babes in Toyland
15. Snoopy Come Home
16. The Jungle Book
17. Anastasia
18. The Muppets Take Manhattan
19. The Muppets
20. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
21. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
22. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
23. The Little Mermaid
24. Peter Pan
25. Prince of Egypt

Offline CJones

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
Here's mine:

1 Les Miserables
2 South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut
3 The Pirates of Penzanze (particularly the Kevin Kline and Linda Rondstat movie version)
4 Cats
5 The Sound of Music
6 The Prince of Egypt
7 Rifftrax-ed version of High School Musical
8 The Mikado
9 Mary Poppins
10 Beauty and the Beast
11 Rocky Horror Picture Show
12 My Fair Lady
13 The Barber of Seville
14 The Book of Mormon
15 Madame Butterfly
16 Evita
17 The Muppets
18 The King and I
19 The Phantom of the Opera
20 Fiddler on the Roof
21 Grease
22 Repo: The Genetic Opera
23 Carmen
24 Signing in the Rain
25 Moulin Rouge

Seriously, Cats didn't make it?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6254
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Good job with the list, Compound. Looks like everything of mine made it except a few of the other Muppet movies.

1. Nightmare Before Christmas
2. The Blues Brothers
3. The Muppet Show
4. The Muppet Movie
5. Muppet Christmas Carol
6. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
7. Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog
8. Great Muppet Caper
9. Muppet Treasure Island
10. Muppets Take Manhattan
11. Little Shop of Horrors
12. Willie Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
13. This is Spinal Tap
14. Cannibal The Musical
15. Labyrinth

MightyJack

« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
You know, I've never been that enamored with Muppets - which upsets my siblings to no end, "Jumpin' Jehosaphat! how can you not love the Muppets!! How can you not want to get down on your knees and dry hump every God damn one of them!!! Slobber! Gush! Squee! Soil Pants!"

Somehow I've become the anti-Christ in their eyes.

Speaking of Christ. I'm not a religious man but Jesus Christ Superstar I was in love with. Very big part of my life. I was a young lad with the brown cover LP was released, listened to that to death. Saw the play, saw the movie so many times I've lost count. Ted Neely was a superb Jesus... in fact no one who has come after him has really worked for me. Even when I saw the play in a revival when he was old, Neely was still an awesome Jesus. Oh, and his rendition of "Garden of Gethsemane" is my favorite track... that song steals the breath from the lungs every time I hear it.

My 25...

1.   A Hard Days Night
2.   Swing Time
3.   Jesus Christ Superstar
4.   This is Spinal Tap
5.   Once

6.   The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - Knew it wouldn't make it, but highly recommend it
7.   The Little Mermaid - surprised this didn't make it.
8.   Rock and Roll High School - How cool it would have been to see the Ramones on this list. "Hit it Marky!"
9.   Help!
10.   Across the Universe
11.   Chicago

12.   Cabaret
13.   Guys and Dolls
14.   Dr. Horribles Sing A-long Blog
15.   Wizard of Oz

16.   King Creole
17.   Moulin Rouge
18.   The King and I - wait, this didn't make it -- Seriously?
19.   Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
20.   Singin in the Rain

21.   Top Hat
22.   Yellow Submarine
23.   Jailhouse Rock
24.   Fiddler on the Roof
25.   Holy Musical B@tman!