Author Topic: The "Shocking(?) Alternate Ending"  (Read 11599 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 196
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
The "Shocking(?) Alternate Ending"
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »
So, the "Shocking Alternate Ending" was (1) adding the part where they broke his legs and (2) removing the "new recruits" part?

Why is this shocking? Did I miss something?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2456
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: The "Shocking(?) Alternate Ending"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
Marketing. :^)

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »
Seriously...I never saw the theatrical version (I think perhaps it was God saving me from this film until the rifftrack was available), so I checked online to see the difference between the two (my friend owns the movie so I didn't have access). That is the biggest load of crap ever. You REMOVE a scene of "story" (such as it is in this film) and replace it with something so minutely different most people wouldn't notice...and call it shocking? Like "the shocking alternate ending...the one where you spent more money buying this to see this steaming pile of a film!"
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 06:22:55 AM »
It just goes to show you that these distributors can say whatever they want to and get away with it.  Kinda sickening, isn't it?  I guess since the movie was so horribly recieved, they didn't really think they could do the film any more damage by promising something "shocking", and not even remotely delivering on it.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Heysie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Meowsdower
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:06:15 AM »
Did the leg-breaking bump it out of the PG-13 rating? Because wasn't the "alternative" version supposed to be unrated? (Hence "shocking!")  Seems to me the pilot's mishap with the plate of spaghetti was grosser than the leg-breaking, though.  Or maybe it was Leelee Sobieski's eyeliner in the bar scene that made it too scary for PG-13?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »
Unrated means only that. The motion picture association didn't look at it and take it into consideration when they released the DVD. Enter at your own risk. It doesn't mean it's not PG-13 anymore, it's just that the motion picture association can't guarantee that it is. :^)

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 52
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 04:07:06 PM »
They removed the Sister Beach shower scene to get it down from an NC-17.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
They removed the Sister Beach shower scene to get it down from an NC-17.

Oh boy...

I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

jasimon1

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:50:24 AM »
Unrated means only that. The motion picture association didn't look at it and take it into consideration when they released the DVD. Enter at your own risk. It doesn't mean it's not PG-13 anymore, it's just that the motion picture association can't guarantee that it is. :^)

Why is this so hard for some people to understand? My boyfriend (the marketer's dream because he'll buy into anything you tell him he should) whole heartedly believes that everytime they say a movie is the unrated version, it instantly has more blood and violence. I try to explain to him that even if they add a new five second camera angle and on a scene that was already in the movie, it becomes unrated simply because it was changed after the rating was given and no longer can be considered "rated".

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »
Which is something the DVD manufacturers seem to love to embrace. "See Charlies Angels UNRATED!" and get a few minutes of extra fight-scene. :^)

jasimon1

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »
Which is something the DVD manufacturers seem to love to embrace. "See Charlies Angels UNRATED!" and get a few minutes of extra fight-scene. :^)

There must be a ton of people out there that fall for this since it is the new standard. Every freaking DVD comes out with an unrated version. Seriously, the only time it is worth it at all is if it is a true directors cut, like the grindhouse movies are rumored to be released as. Otherwise, they cut the stuff out because it is pointless and I don't need to see it. It's not like there is some pivotal point in the movie that was cut out and now added back in.

Offline BobEvil

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:07:58 PM »
In some instances, the Unrated version has scenes removed from the theatrical version and then new scenes are added instead. I don't know how common this is, but I know for a fact it's the case with "Talladega Nights".
"And when I get angry, things begin to happen!"

Offline hare.29

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 02:50:53 AM »
I will have to disagree with the 'shocking' bit, but I'm all for the movie ending sooner.

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »
I think it would have been shocking if Mel Gibson's ghost rose from a grave and the pagans laughed at him then he takes human form and takes out shotguns and missile launchers and bullet launches and just blows everyone the fuck away, starting with the evil heathen pagan children then the evil heathen pagan women as they scream "no! God! This cannot be! This is not how it was supposed to BEE!!!" and Mel Gibson has the last laugh, quipping "I'll BEE back folks!" and ends the movie ala a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2404
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 05:49:02 AM »
I think it would have been shocking if Mel Gibson's ghost rose from a grave and the pagans laughed at him then he takes human form and takes out shotguns and missile launchers and bullet launches and just blows everyone the fuck away, starting with the evil heathen pagan children then the evil heathen pagan women as they scream "no! God! This cannot be! This is not how it was supposed to BEE!!!" and Mel Gibson has the last laugh, quipping "I'll BEE back folks!" and ends the movie ala a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Then this would have been the BEST MOVIE EVER