Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 301451 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2370 on: August 05, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »
I finally finished Ernest "Ready Player One" Cline's sophomore effort, Armada (aka The Last Starfighter: The Novel). Ugh, what a slog. I enjoyed Ready Player One a lot even though it was written poorly and nothing much happened until about 80 pages in. Only reason I got through Armada is because I love Mike Nelson & Connor's 372 Pages podcast. I came so close to giving up several times, but I decided to power through anyway. The closest I came to giving up is halfway through when it's revealed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm pretty sure 70% of the book is just describing spaceships and robots and flight maneuvers with some sprinkled-in 80s pop culture references. The characters were just as one dimensional as in Ready Player One. I really did not care about anyone in the story. This seems like it could've been a short story. Not a full novel. At least now I can enjoy my reward of the podcast.

I forget what the stance is on audiobooks here btw, but I technically did not read it; I listened to the audiobook. Will Wheaton did a fine job for what he was given. I just haven't had the time to actually read anything with a one year old running around the house. And even though I only listened to it, I immediately want to read something better written now. If I can just find time to pick up that copy of Dune off my nighstand.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:04:06 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
« Reply #2371 on: August 19, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
I'm about halfway through Armada. Been there for about a year. Having much the same experience as you.

On a much more enjoyable note, I'm reading Kim Newman's Bloody Red Baron, which is really fun.  Half the fun is "spot the character origin," but it's also well written and a good story.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 844
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #2372 on: August 20, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
After watching Good Omens again, I thought... you know, I might actually like reading the book it was based on. I got it on Kindle. Knowing how piss poor I am when it comes to reading I haven't got very far, but so far much of the stuff is word for word in the TV show.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2373 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
I splurged and got one of the 25 leather bound editions Alan Dean Foster had printed of his Mad Amos collection.  I don't think I've ever even held a leather bound book before, beautiful leather work, smells great, fancy box, cool endpapers.  It was pricey at $200 plus shipping.

It is a collection of all the short stories Foster has written over the years about a character named Mad Amos Malone, I've read a handful of them over the decades but some were in magazines I never found and collections I never bought so it's nice to have them all in one volume.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
« Reply #2374 on: August 23, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
Continuing with my space opera obession that started 3 or 4 years ago. Finished Frederik Pohl's Gateway trilogy aka The Heechee Chronicles. More recent space opera series I've read have been 600 pages plus each book, so a series of about 350 pages each was a nice change. That said, I thought all 3 books ended too abruptly. Great up until the rushed endings.
Just started book 4 of the trilogy (4th and 5th unplanned books were written several years after the original trilogy).

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2375 on: August 27, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
Actually found a 6th book in the trilogy- not really a novel on it's own, but a collection of short stories set in the same "universe". Not through book 4 yet, but know I'll want to read it, so I jumped through some hoops to get it in ebook form (only one in the series never released in ebook form in the U.S., so had to VPN it to appear I was in the U.K.).

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2376 on: April 05, 2020, 07:36:09 AM »
Picked up Peter Hamilton's Salvation Lost which is the 2nd book in a trilogy (book 3 not out yet). Got about 10 pages in and realized I didn't remember a thing about the first book even though I was sure I had read it. So went back and read book 1 again and am now starting book 2 again.
Space opera about earth's first visitation by aliens and mankinds terraforming of expansion to other planets. Some similarities ti Peter Hamilton's other books.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2377 on: April 06, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
I'm reading Treasure Island. Yes, that Treasure Island. I want to know what I'm getting into before watching the three Disney movies adapted therefrom.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2378 on: April 06, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »
I rarely read fiction. Took me 6 months, but I finished Dune. I forget if I mentioned this before. Longest fiction book I've read. I liked the world building the most. I like that there's an ecology and history and stuff. Characters were fun. I was surprised that the plot is unabashadley what TV Tropes calls Going Native. The sandworms were my favorite. I laughed out loud when I got to "We've got movieworm sign!"

Finally back to non-fiction which I love so, so, so much more. I'm a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan, and I'm trying not to burn through Flea's autobiography that came out last year (I have lead singer Anthony Kiedis' autobiography sitting right next to it). I'm up to the part where he's 14 and just moved to L.A. Each chapter is 1-3 pages long, and they're these precious little snapshots of childhood. The fact that they're snapshots of little moments and not this epic trying to document a story makes it feel all the more real. Like tracing memories rather than just giving a hashed out bio.

Soon as I'm done with that, I'll be foraying back into fiction with A Confederacy of Dunces. I hear it's really funny.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2379 on: April 07, 2020, 12:49:21 PM »
"A Confederacy of Dunces" indeed funny. I also recommend "Catch 22" if you've never read it.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2380 on: April 07, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
"A Confederacy of Dunces" indeed funny. I also recommend "Catch 22" if you've never read it.

It was a really tough call between the two actually. Catch 22 sounds more like my humor and will be easier for me to pick up later which is why I'm going with Dunces first.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7115
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2381 on: April 10, 2020, 08:30:47 AM »
i've been re-reading andromeda strain (shut up, reading about deadly space bacteria is oddly calming at the moment), and i'd forgotten just how smug and chauvinistic crichton was. it's a good story, but rough to read at times.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 694
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #2382 on: April 14, 2020, 02:53:38 AM »
I read A Separate Peace for the first time since 8th grade (November 1988) this afternoon. I had been a little bit fearful, as the book had a profound impact on me as a 13 year old. Boy am I glad I got over that. This is a masterpiece of restrained storytelling on a level I never could have fully grasped at such a young age, that has already forced hours of introspection. I'll be sure to not let 31 years pass before dusting it off next time.

To take the edge off I got out one of my go-to smile makers, the Bloom County collection Tales too Ticklish to Tell, and it quite hit the spot.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2383 on: April 14, 2020, 04:29:22 PM »
I found an old copy of As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner that my mother read and annotated in University. So I feel I should read it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2384 on: May 02, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
Wisconsin Death Trip
Bizarre non-fiction book that is nothing but pictures and snippets of newspaper articles from a small town in Wisconsin from 1890 to 1920.  All about deaths, suicides, and murder. Have "read" it before (kind of a fascinatedly macabre coffee table book) but wife has been picking movies lately and we're watching the 1999 documentary based on the book tonight. Never seen the doc and not sure how the book will translate.