login

Author Topic: What can we praise?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
What can we praise?
« on: April 27, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
You know, between the Rifftrax and its aftermath we spend a lot of time knocking on these movies and praising the guys over their quipping over these movies.  Now, certainly, many of these movies deserve all of the ridicule they get (this one being little exception) but what can we PRAISE about them?  What can we honestly say was good about them?

And not "It ended," or "they killed an annoying character early."  What was actually, honestly, GOOD in this movie?

For this one I will say the music -mostly the main theme- was pretty good.  I think the "make-up" effects when it came to the cocooned people looked good (and for the most part the swelling spider bites.) And I honestly think Shatner turned in a pretty good performance. I mean his an actor who indeed, does, have a degree of range (he did win an Emmy for Boston Legal) and here he seemed like he was having a degree or two of fun.  He actually did come across as genuinely playful (in a fatherly way) to the little girl.

And... set design?  I dunno. I think I'm out.

But what have you to say?

What was GOOD about this movie?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: What can we praise?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »
I think the actors and extras (especially the little kids) were all extremely brave for having giant arachnids paw all over them.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1267
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
It was better than Arachnophobia. No really.

Also, I keep wondering if Shatner really did burn his had on that pot. He looked pretty genuinely surprised.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:30:34 PM »
The little girl's stunt double was great. She really got thrown around quite a bit......What? That wasn't a stunt double. Holy crap!

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 05:33:48 AM »
The ending shot (which I won't spoil) was totally unexpected, ambitious and pretty cool.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
The ending shot (which I won't spoil) was totally unexpected, ambitious and pretty cool.

I disagree, not only was it a terrible matte painting but its an ending that simply makes no sense whatsoever in the context of the movie.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Watched it again tonight with a friend, and he pointed out how good the movie looked. And he's right, it's a really good picture on it. Either a really high-quality compression by the guys at RT or the director and cinematographer really dropped some coin on some good film stock and, really, the overall cinematography was pretty darn good.