4 (16%)
1 (4%)
2 (8%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: RANK... A... SPIDER  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
RANK... A... SPIDER
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »
I give it a solid 8, above average. Not the BEST riff we've seen this year, but consider what it has to compete with so far. It definitely beats Breaker, Breaker and When a Stranger Calls Back, but, admittedly, I couldn't really get into either of them. I know lots of people liked them, and they aren't bad riffs by any means, but they never really got off the ground for me. Different strokes and so on. I also think that Shatner's star power and the fact that his very presence is generous to the riffing platform helped this one out quite a bit. So yeah, 8.

And speaking of 8s, I was thinking that since hardly anybody ever uses rankings like 7, 4, 3, 2 and so on, maybe after this movie we could convert to a Grade based ranking system. No pluses or minuses, with the exception of A+, which would represent total mind-blowing riffs like The Room, Birdemic, Guy From Harlem, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, The Apple and so on. Just a suggestion. I totally get if people wanna stick to the system we've been using.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
Re: RANK... A... SPIDER
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 05:44:36 PM »
I'd think a grade-rating system (including +'s and -'s. Standard school-level stuff) would work, having 10 choices is a "stretch" and you're right some of the more middle grades are rarely used.  A+ to F using +'s and -'s I think is a bit more "balanced" even though it's actually using MORE options there's a bit more "balance" there between something being "above average" (B-) but still not quite "good" (B+) but not bad enough to be "average" (C+.)  It's a system many probably can relate to and see the nuances in more than the standard 1-10 thing. 

Anyway, I rate this one an 8, but I'd flirt with a 9. Some good riffs in here, but some missed opportunity considering the similarities between this movie and "The Giant Spider Invasion" from MST3K (which, yeah, we should have gotten some "Packers!" riffs. But I guess that only worked there because the movie was set in WI) but, come on, it's a greasy, paunchy, lecherous William Shatner (goosing  a toddler.) How much better than that can you get?!

(EDIT: It seems in the poll I voted a "9", which is fine as an official vote. There were some good moments here.)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:46:46 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline Beyond the Riff

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »
I'd give it 8 but because Disembodio sings at the end, 7. Good as a typical MST3K.

Offline RockSiren

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 24
    • The Store
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
Not their best, imho. Funny though.

Offline Droppo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
I gave it a 10.  This is one of my favorite riffs yet.  The movie was just PERFECT for the Rifftrax treatment....70's Shatner as a romantic lead?  I mean....does it get any better?  I loved it.  Rifftrax is on such a great roll. 

Offline The Snape

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »
I'd give it a 5 and that's me playing fast and loose with my generosity. Personally found it quite dry and the kingdoms of the x jokes got old real fast. Granted alteast it was a step up from that atrocity the Apple but still lackluster.

...oh and I've had better laughs from Carlos Mencia stand up specials, there I said it! Now up your game guys  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:16:31 AM by The Snape »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1267
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »
Recently they seem to be alternating between ones a like and ones I don't like. This falls into the "like" category. In fact, I'd say it's one of my favorites in quite a while. Gave it a nine.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3479
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
And speaking of 8s, I was thinking that since hardly anybody ever uses rankings like 7, 4, 3, 2 and so on, maybe after this movie we could convert to a Grade based ranking system. No pluses or minuses, with the exception of A+, which would represent total mind-blowing riffs like The Room, Birdemic, Guy From Harlem, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, The Apple and so on. Just a suggestion. I totally get if people wanna stick to the system we've been using.

Letters will be just as useless as numbers if people don't use them. That's why I prefer to see the comments people post with their ranks. I haven't seen this one yet, so no comment)
FINE

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1267
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »

You thought The Apple was mind blowing? Personally it fell into the "didn't like" category for me. I much preferred Kingdom of Spiders. It was nice to see them do another musical though. High School Musical, now that was mind blowing. All your other choices I agree with.

Offline eegah

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 477
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
We thought it was pretty hilarious. Tempted to give it a 10...

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
A solid enough effort. I'm giving it an 8. I've always used an A+-F system for MST so I wouldn't mind switching to it except for the fact that it ends up having ten levels as well. So not sure I see the point.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3479
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
I think this might be my favourite of the recent VODs.
FINE