login

Author Topic: What, THINGS did... WE... Learn?!  (Read 8127 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
What, THINGS did... WE... Learn?!
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
I learned that Doctor Rack, the veterinarian, doesn't know that spider venom from even a single, regular, spider CAN be deadly to a human or animal and that the proportional sizes of the two animals has no bearing on anything.  But, yet, he needs a LOT of convincing to accept the idea.

The Arachnologist lady doesn't know that spiders aren't insects.

Middle of nowhere towns known for a single yearly festival actually have pretty nice, charming, cabin lodges.

That, honestly, William Shatner is awesome, but also sort of creepy.

The "spider invasion" here was more effective, successful, and organized than the one in "The Giant Spider Invasion."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:07:28 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline TriffRax

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 63
Re: What, THINGS did... WE... Learn?!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I learned that The Apple has skewed my perceptions of stupid films so badly that this ridiculous embarrassment of a film seems normal and healthy by comparison.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
I learned that between the TOS and TMP, Bill took some super weird roles.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »
I learned that even though Tiffany Bolling is not opposed to doing nudity she was not seen nude here. The hell, Movie?!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6691
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »
I learned that I can hate a movie within 30 seconds. William Shatner is going to star, AND whiny twangy country music? Fuck you, movie!

Maybe a woman who is flat as a board shouldn't be calling someone else "adequate".

Somehow, a pudgy William Shatner in a pink shirt is STILL not as much of a laughable cowboy type as Gene Autry.

When you think that a full grown cow and a dog have been killed by spiders, it's perfectly okay to PICK ONE OF THE SPIDERS UP BY YOUR BARE HANDS!

With the airplane pilot, the Rifftrax crew FINALLY found a guy with a girlier scream than Reb Brown.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:03:46 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
I learned that whatever insecticide (arachnidicide?) they were covering the area with apparently wasn't as hazardous to humans as they thought it was considering the plane was spraying it over the town (and on people) when it crashed and no mention is really made ever again about it.

I learned (well, I assume) the town has a ordinance in place that says people must keep enough wood and nails on hand to board up all of the windows inside of a dwelling.

This is a nitpicky thing, but I learned both that M&TG don't know the difference between an exhaust fan and an A/C duct while at the same time learning that the movie creators don't know how air-conditioners work.

The spiders first get into the inn through an exhaust fan over a kitchen stove/cooktop. These are simply just fans that draw air from the kitchen and vent it into either the attic (or a crawlspace over the room) or in some cases through a pipe that vents out over the roof. It's a pretty "open" system and it'd be fairly easy for an animal or bug to crawl inside the system and come out the fan. (I believe there's usually guards or something in place to prevent this but it "can" happen.)

This vent fan is different than the air-conditioning system which is by and large "closed" as there's a lot of machinery, vents, tubes, fans a network of pipes and a filter of some-sort between the cooling tower outside, the indoor components of the A/C and the vents inside the room.  It'd be almost impossible for a spider to crawl into the outdoor cooling-tower of the A/C and make its way into the living space of the home.  There's just too much between Point A and Point B.

At the same time, we see the spiders coming in through the fireplace. Everyone freaks out and starts a fire in the fireplace (necessitating the use of the A/C, further leading to the problems with it and then removing the vent.)  I guess starting a fire in the fireplace was a way to prevent the entry of the spiders.  I, personally, would have closed the flue damper but that's me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:51:16 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:33 PM »
As for "not being able to get into the air conditioning", it's been pretty well established in the movie that the spiders can just teleport wherever the hell they want. See, dozens of spiders getting in the door when Shatner only had it open for a second, lots of spiders get into the truck seat only a minute after they got out of it, all the spiders that were in the basement somehow, etc. etc. etc.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
Darn teleporting spiders!

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
Spiders can break glass.  WTF?
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
By watching the title sequence I learned that the guys probably aren't fans of Warren Zevon. No Life'll Kill Ya reference? Lame.

Offline MrBNatural by Conn

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
I learned last week that The Apple terrified me and I need a refund for that movie to watch this one. I am still traumatized by it. 

Because of buying that one last week I can't afford this one for two more weeks :(

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
With the airplane pilot, the Rifftrax crew FINALLY found a guy with a girlier scream than Reb Brown.

I kept hoping the guys would start shouting "Go Packers! Wooooo! Packers!", but alas.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »

I kept hoping the guys would start shouting "Go Packers! Wooooo! Packers!", but alas.
Yeah, I was dissapointed they didn't do at least one of those.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »
I learned that Bill Rebane was really stunned that a director could properly light a spider on film.

Offline Rabbi Hi-Keeba

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 03:22:15 AM »
I learned that holy Hell the 1970s must have had some kind of national tax incentive for using tarantulas in your movie.