Author Topic: LoC 69: Top 51 Gameshows Countdown!  (Read 23725 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: LoC 69: Top 51 Gameshows Countdown!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
a local radio station does that calls it the uh er game.  I haven't heard anyone win, its a tough game
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »
Is their's a call in show?

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »
yep, two callers talk for about a minute about a subject don't recall anyone making it the whole time

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 831
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »
#41 (Tie) Scrapheap Challenge, aka Junkyard Wars - 25 Points

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_NGRT5CVjQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f_NGRT5CVjQ</a>

1 of 9 Lists
Highest Ranking #1 CJones

One of my all time favorite shows. This was originally a British show called Scrapheap Challenge that ran from 1998 to 2010. In 2001 the concept was brought to the US under the title Junkyard Wars. But for all intents and purposes they were the same show.

The idea was that two teams of 3 or 4 people had 10 hours to build some contraption from scratch that could perform some specified function. Usually these were vehicles of some sort, but they've also done stuff like rockets, artillery, bridge builders and windmills. The catch was that they had to build it entirely from parts they could scavenge from the show's junkyard. Now it's generally assumed that the show's producers had to have planted some of the stuff available, as there seemed to be no lack of functioning engines. But most of what they had to work with was bona fide scrap.

There were several spin-offs of the shows, most notably the "Mega" versions, but I never thought they were as good. Junkyard Mega Wars in particular suffered from obnoxious "all-American" hosts.

And then there was the epic Wright Brothers 100th anniversary special. This featured hosts from both shows, and three teams: British, American and French. Their task was to build an airplane from scratch, from scrap. But there was an added twist. They were limited to only tools and materials that would have been available 100 years ago. All three were, however, given an FAA approved engine and propeller, and 20 hours instead of the usual 10. This is the video I chose. Sorry about the subtitles. I couldn't find a copy without them.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »
yep, two callers talk for about a minute about a subject don't recall anyone making it the whole time
Ah yes that's probably why, this sort of game doesn't really fit the call-in format well. The contestants on Just A Minute are all professional actors and public speakers and the like and they are there with the purpose of playing the game so a good time is had by all, the version your describing sounds like it's really frustrating to listen to.

Offline CJones

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
#38 Iron Chef - 27 Points

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1uc35tz9R8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s1uc35tz9R8</a>

2 of 9 Lists
Highest Ranking #6 Johnny Unusual

Iron Chef was a Japanese show that ran from 1993 to 1999. The premise for the show was that the "Chairman of the Gourmet Academy" set up a "Kitchen Stadium" where he would invite chefs from around the world to compete against one of his Iron Chefs. They'd be given 1 hour each to prepare four dishes, which would then be scored by a panel of judges (usually a combination of culinary experts and celebrities.) However, there was always a "secret" ingredient that would only be revealed at the start of the battle, and had to be incorporated into each dish. During the course of the show, there were 7 Iron Chefs: Three representing Japanese dishes, two French and one each Chinese and Italian.

The show was a big hit in Japan, but it was also a surprise hit in the US, where it was dubbed in English. So much so that Food Network started their own version of the show: Iron Chef America. In ICA, five dishes were required and the scoring system was slightly different.

In reality, the secret ingredient was only partially secret. The chefs were given some idea what they would be working with so they could do some advance planning. Also, they would be supplied other ingredients appropriate to the theme. Also, the chefs only had to finish one dish of each of the four courses before time ran out. The others could be plated later. And the Chairman's famous line "Allez Cuisine" is a bad French translation of "Go cook!"

A new Iron Chef show just recently started last year in Japan, with three new Iron Chefs. There are also Israeli, UK, Thai, Australian, Vietnamese and Indonesian versions of the show.

I wanted to find a video of one of the Masaharu Morimoto vs Bobby Flay battles, but strangely enough I couldn't find any complete episodes.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
I love Iron Chef.  It's really about high levels of cooking skill facing off.  It's always interesting to see their process and how they approach it.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
i always hated Mario Batali.

Same here, of all the Celebri-chefs out there, he is the one I avoid.  Plus I generally don't care for Italian food.

It sucks that he is on The Chew, because I like Michael Symon and Carla Hall, but I have to listen to Batali when watching.  Him and the inane Daphne Oz.  Can't stand her either.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
I'm mad that I forgot Iron Chef.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
#45 (Tie) Big Brother - 24 Points
1 of 9 Lists
Highest Ranking #2 Monty

My guilty pleasure show.  I have to download the episodes though since they don't show it here in the US.  I would love to be on this show (the UK version obviously).  I don't care for the US version, but would probably apply for it and try to BS my way onto the show.  If I could get 3 months off from work.   :D

The UK version doesn't censor the profanity or nudity.  Which in my opinion makes the reality more real.  That clip you picked is the first daily episode from Series 9, which was not a very good year.  Too many people "pretending" to be wacky so they can become famous in the UK off of being on the show.  There are usually a few of those every year, but this series in particular they were totally annoying.  Especially that short dumpy Kathrea.  She had everybody in the house fooled into thinking that she was so popular on the outside (when she was generally hated, but housemates never nominated her because of their misguided perception.)  She made it all the way to the near end and was evicted in a surprise eviction that shocked the housemates, but left me laughing my ass off.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xk-18a1ko8Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xk-18a1ko8Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:53:14 PM by Monty »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
i always hated Mario Batali.

Remind me.

Is he a great big fat person?

Yeah, he doesn't do much for me.  Was he even on that show?  I wasn't a regular viewer, but I loved watching it every time I saw it.  It was sort of a once in a year thing.  It's also worth watching the original Japanese series.  There was an episode with turkey that left the contestants completely stymied.

Reminds me of when my family was living in Thailand.  Around New Year's, we were at a hotel that was serving turkey.  Mom was so happy to have that piece of home... until they cut it into really tiny bits and served it.  They don't do big cuts of meat over there (unless it's chicken, but that's a street vendor thing).

Zombie Monty

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
Bobby Flay, whilst a total cocksucker, at least made stuff that sounded tasty.

This is true (both parts).  His Mesa Grill restaurant in Las Vegas is my favorite restaurant.  I have never had anything there that was not mind-blowing.  Every time I go to Vegas, first thing I do after booking my trip is reservations at Mesa Grill.

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
I forgot Iron Chef too, and Big Brother dammit.

I've always been a Bobby Flay girl myself.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
#47 (Tie) Top Chef - 23 Points
1 of 9 Lists
Highest Ranking #3 Monty

Best cooking show on television, hands down.  Hugh Acheson (one of the judges) is my new culinary hero (well him and Marcus Samuelsson).  I really need to get up to Georgia to eat at one of his restaurants.

Offline CJones

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
I see a lot of love for cooking shows, but I was the only one who liked Junkyard Wars?