Beatles songs
3 (13%)
Comic book women
2 (8.7%)
Cover songs
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 16, 2013, 08:26:10 AM

Author Topic: Vote for the Next LOC  (Read 5543 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: Vote for the Next LOC
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
Listened to Sgt. Pepper's recently.  Man, A Day In the Life is a good song.

I'm in favour of almost ever category except cover songs.  I actually like cover songs, but it is such a wide net.  If there were a lot more participants I'd be for it, but list numbers have been low lately, so I'm waffling between fantasy characters and Beatles.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »

Just so long as it isn't cover songs, or even worse, Beatles songs. Ironic since I'm one of the ones who wants to see musicals. Yeah, I hate pop music but I love musicals (along with metal and classical music). Figure that out. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like the Beatles. I don't dislike them, I just don't care one way or the other. I can name their songs, but I can't remember how most of them go.

I find it so strange when people say they dislike The Beatles or just don't care for them when they like any other music that came out since The Beatles considering how many musicians are influenced by The Beatles.

I realize that is not exactly what CJones said, but I still wanted to say it. Personally, I think people who say they don't like The Beatles just haven't really listened to them or they are kidding themselves. I have no proof to back that up, but it's what I believe...like my own personal weird form of faith.

Anyway, I really like The Beatles and won't change my vote.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

jasimon1

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »
I think statements like the one you made are the reason I don't like the Beatles. They are fine for what they are but it's just not something I care to listen to. I've listened to them and no, I'm not kidding myself. Beatles fans though take it as a personal attack when you say you don't care for them and they always point to the influence they had on other bands. Yes they influenced other people but so did probably hundreds of other bands and everything in their environment. There would still be bands today if the Beatles had never come along.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »
The Beatles or just don't care for them when they like any other music that came out since The Beatles considering how many musicians are influenced by The Beatles.
Are you really into the music that influenced the Beetles then?

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
I think statements like the one you made are the reason I don't like the Beatles. They are fine for what they are but it's just not something I care to listen to. I've listened to them and no, I'm not kidding myself. Beatles fans though take it as a personal attack when you say you don't care for them and they always point to the influence they had on other bands. Yes they influenced other people but so did probably hundreds of other bands and everything in their environment. There would still be bands today if the Beatles had never come along.

Fair enough.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
The Beatles or just don't care for them when they like any other music that came out since The Beatles considering how many musicians are influenced by The Beatles.
Are you really into the music that influenced the Beatles then?

Not as much as I like the Beatles, but I like it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
But they influenced the Beatles and you like the Beatles, shouldn't you like them even more?

I really like Sylvia Plath but I find Lowell really boring for the most part, being an influence to one artist isn't a guarantee that people who like that artist will also like you, nor should it be. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:28:11 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
Such as?

I am going to be honest and say that I feel like you only asked this question to test me, and if that is true, then I do not appreciate it.

That being said, I like Elvis, Pet Sounds, and I FUCKING LOVE Bob Dylan. If you want me to list their pre-Meet the Beatles influence, I would have to do some research, but I wouldn't bother because I don't see the point of you asking.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »
I edited my post to better reflect the reason I asked and I did mean the Black artists who influenced them, not dreck like the Beach Boys, Pan I loath Pet Sounds. :)

I don't really like many artists that were influenced by the Beetles, I really can't think of any tbh.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
Thank you for clarifying :)

They liked Chuck Berry a lot. An I suppose the same artists that influenced Elvis.

Dylan is probably the best example, I love him as much as I love them.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
Thank you for clarifying :)

They liked Chuck Berry a lot. An I suppose the same artists that influenced Elvis.

Dylan is probably the best example, I love him as much as I love them.
And that's fine; it's okay to like the influencers of a band you like but you don't have to and saying "but X influenced Y, who you dig" isn't really as significant a statement as it might seem.

Especially when you consider that "influence" is a pretty nebulous concept. Sometimes that influence is in the form of the members of the band going "well I didn't like what that group did with this technology, let's do something better*". They've still been influenced but not in a way that would mean the influencer would be liked by fans of the influenced.

And I'm speaking as somebody who likes a lot of bands that came out of Merseyside/Lancs. :)

*"Better" here being subjectively used.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:48:15 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3950
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
I'm pretty much musically uneducated. To paraphrase Groucho, I know what I like. I couldn't name more than 5 Beatles songs, and I'd have to look them up in Wikipedia to make sure it was them. I can see the genius at work, and you don't whip up a frenzy like they had unless there's SOMETHING to it, but I never dug too deeply into their catalog. Not that anyone should be discouraged from picking that list. Just weighing in on the Beatles. :^)

MightyJack

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
The Beatles are my lord and savior. Truly they made my awkward pre-teen and teen years bearable. I remember running home from hell... er, I mean Grade School, so I could slip my Please, Please Me single in the old record player and let it run for about 30 minutes solid (then I'd flip the other side and go a half hour with it) it was pure bliss. Drove my parents nuts (2 songs over and over and over) so they bought me a full album, which was Heaven on Earth. Man, I'd escape for hours in those albums.

So yeah (yeah! Yeah!), they are an important part of my life and memories, and I could do a list in my sleep. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:44:14 PM by George Harrison »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
I changed my vote yet again (I'm trying to make any front runner happen that isn't cover songs) and I was torn between Beatles and video games.  I went with video games for now, since it's been almost 2 years since our last games list.  This will include computer games too, I hope.  I was more of a console guy, but I'm sure some will want to put Solitaire and Minesweeper on their lists (not me, though) and though I've only played one of the beloved LucasArts adventure games, the one I played was pretty great.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3950
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
Yeah. No sense pretending I didn't submit that one. Video Games of the '90s would totally include PC games as well as console, portable, arcade, Tiger Electronic game, etc. :^)