Author Topic: Unsettling Film  (Read 1978 times)

Offline waitingforgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
Unsettling Film
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
Did anyone else find this to be an unsettling film?

I mean, I've watched it about five times so far (well, had it on in the background, at least), and I find it disturbing in a way I don't recall finding any previous VOD riffs, Cinematic Titanic, or MSTs.

I think it's because so little actually happens, at least from a plot/horror standpoint; the closest thing to permanent victimization is the missing children in the beginning (which is as off-screen as you can get), and whatever scarring occurs from the gunshot. And the lack of actual horror-villain villainy has made this one less dismissible than normal. The good guys don't make many horror-movie mistakes, and I found the scene where we witness the bad guy's act to be pretty haunting.

I'm not saying this is a Fight Club-level film or anything like that, but compared to the usual stupidity onscreen that I usually witness (McBain's "shooting nearby pilots" idiocy, The Devil's Hand's Big Lots cultists, Ghosthouse's Elmer's Glue what-the-heck-ever), this one has stuck with me a lot more than I was expecting.

(As an aside, am I the only disappointed by the lack of a Gotye/"STIUTK" reference?)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
Re: Unsettling Film
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »
The movie has some faults, mostly in pacing and some plot issues/implausibilities. (Not to mention hair style problems. A ****** mullet on a cute 20-something girl?! Seriously, movie?!)  But I agree it's sufficiently creepy and well toned for that there is a lot of eerieness in the scenes with mullet-girl in her pre-mullet days.  I think a lot of that is lost once we get to the "present" the stuff with Charles Durning is good not so much with the chick from the first movie.  But once in the "now" some plot oddities and implausibilities start stacking up along with questions with little answers that are eventually shrugged off.  (Mullet girl shoots herself in the head off-camera, SURVIVES, comes out of a coma seemingly perfectly okay (in spite of a 9mm bullet blasting through her head at point-blank range) all seems out of nowhere.

But, yeah, an eerie creepy movie but I think the guys riffed on it well.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »
We found it suspenseful, despite the major plot issues.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:27 PM »
I FF through the set-up, because I don't handle stalking teenagers well, so I didn't see that. The scene where the baddie was literally abusing the comatose victim was shocking by any standards, as were the polaroids of the victim's breasts. Not to mention the smash cut onto a random beaten woman's face. But, none of this made any sense in the context of the film! Was this guy a sexual predator? SO many loose ends. No ends that I particularly wanted to see tied, but just so very ... unfinished. The movie seemed to want to empower victimized women, but in the process just kept victimizing them. Charles Durning was ultimately the hero. I mean, he was/is a war hero, but I think you can see what I mean
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline Rabbi Hi-Keeba

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »
Yeah. As someone who was stalked by her literally brain-damaged ex, I have to say that this one, without the riffing and the inexplicable lesbian attire-sans-lesbianism, was really hard to get through.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:06 PM »
Definately unsettling, but in a basic exploitation kinda way. Most of the film seemed to be setting up important stuff and mysteries that it completely failed to resolve. You were all "oooh, this is gonna be interesting", and then it's like "wait, what? It's over? But why-"
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."