login

Author Topic: New VOD "When A Stranger Calls Back" Now Available!!!  (Read 9230 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
New VOD "When A Stranger Calls Back" Now Available!!!
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/when-stranger-calls-back

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NWkhhOGy4E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-NWkhhOGy4E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Contains scenes of nudity. (Fortunately, not Charles Durning.)

The sequel is coming from inside the house! That’s right, one of the tiredest pop culture tropes of all time finally gets a sequel! And you’ll never believe where the calls are coming from this time (because it’s a really, really stupid reveal. We’re talking the end of Signs level stupid.)

Julia is a babysitter, whose motto was evidently “Charisma free child care or your money back!” Her plan to put the kids to bed and then spend an evening quietly enjoying a glass of water is disrupted when a stranger comes to her door. He has a chilling request: he needs her to call the auto club because his car is broken down. Julia responds as anyone would: by lapsing into a hysterical panic attack while the poor guy trudges four miles to a gas station and misses his kid’s birthday party. We’re just kidding of course, he actually is a maniac and he kidnaps both the kids and they’re never seen again.

Traumatized by the incident, Julia responds by growing a Joe Dirt level mullet and enrolling in a small liberal arts college. (Experts strongly recommend you do neither of these things, but if you must choose just one, they tentatively recommend the mullet.) Everything is going just fine until one day she notices that small objects in her apartment are not where she left them. Cue hysterical panic attack. She’s really a charmer, this Julia.

Fortunately, she’s got Charles Durning and Carol Kane to help her. Durning appears to have gotten over Doc Hopper’s failure to sign Kermit The Frog as spokesperson by eating the Electric Mayhem Band and Kane looks appropriately traumatized for someone who had to play the wife of both Billy Crystal AND Andy Kaufman. At one point, in one of the most terrifying and disturbing scenes ever filmed, Charles Durning goes to a strip club to watch a ventriloquist act.

With Mike, Kevin and Bill there to riff, When A Stranger Calls Back will have you holding the line...for hilarity! (The writer of the previous sentence has been fired and is currently working as a strip club ventriloquist.)

Note: This RiffTrax was already underway before Mr. Durning passed away. As Mike wrote back in 2008, we here at RiffTrax stand in awe of his service.

http://www.rifftrax.com/vod/when-stranger-calls-back
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:23:24 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: New VOD "When A Stranger Calls Back" Now Available!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
Oh my, I remember this movie.  They don't do many movies I've actually seen and remember.

If my memory serves me right I think this movie is where Goyte got his idea for that awsome video
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »
Carol Kane is a cutie.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:11:16 AM »
With a voice that sounds like an old windshield-wiper being used on a dry day.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

Next you're going to be hatin' on Betty Boop!

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

Next you're going to be hatin' on Betty Boop!

Betty Boop, popular culture's first Butterface.

Offline waitingforgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
Maybe, when a few more people post opinions here, I'll get more psyched about it.

As I say elsewhere, the film itself is pretty darn watchable (for films of this sort). It occupies the same mental niche for me as Swing Parade and McBain: films that are fairly watchable by themselves, with enjoyable but somewhat forgettable riffing. (I've watched it about eight times now, and it's tricky for me to conjure many lines that I find consistently hilarious...) However, the quality of the movie itself means I'll be watching this one a LOT more than more recent fare; I've enjoyed it more than most of the 2012 VOD offerings (I only liked Ghosthouse, The Bermuda Triangle, and The Guy From Harlem better).

Particularly noteworthy to me, I believe this riff is completely devoid of . . .
<spoilers>
...jokes that mock homosexuality, alternate gender identifications, etc. If this is a trend, I heartily endorse it: "Those two guys should kiss!" or "That girl is a guy!"-type riffs strike me as being really, really easy, and having them stretch into new comic areas is very welcome.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
Carol Kane is a cutie.
Yeah, I've always thought she was hot.

I totally agree with that too.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3856
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
I'll be get'n home shortly and will snag this one 8)

Offline waitingforgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »
McBain: ... watchable

?????????????????????????????????

I stand by it.

McBain has cinematography and location choices that doesn't scream, "We've got two sets, and that's it" (like 90%+ of the VOD films).

It's got actual sound design that isn't "We'll use the Fisher-Price PXL2000's built-in microphone" (Galaxy Invader).

It doesn't have multiple scenes of people wandering around doing the same thing they just did in a previous scene.

It doesn't have interminable minutes of scenes that have no point or purpose outside of stretching the film to 85 minutes.

It's got a soundtrack that had songs I actually wouldn't mind listening to (unlike "generic '80s music" of the Future Forcezone franchise).

It's got actual actors who depict some competence in the art of acting, rather than just stumbling over their lines on their one-and-only take.

It doesn't have any material that says, "Hey, we had a saloon set/amusement park/two helicopters; how can we pad 20 minutes onto this film?" (Buffalo Rider, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, Nightmare at Noon)

It's not dubbed.

It actually seems to have some kind of plot, message, and story arc.

Now, I'm not saying it's a good film (although I'm not a great judge, since it's of a topic and genre that usually doesn't do much for me). But -- from a purely cinematic, technical art-of-movies viewpoint -- it's certainly much more watchable than nearly all the other VOD offerings. It didn't feel like a bunch of film-school freshmen using their weekend to slap together a film. I've paid full price to see other movies that I've found less competent (which I can't say about most other VOD films).

The McBain promotional department is free to use any of my endorsement above as quotes for their video jackets.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
Plus it has Christopher Walken.  Who is awesome.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
Christopher Walken AND Michael Ironside! I thought "McBain" was fairly decent. Sure it was pretty much like 1000s of flash-in-the-pan 80s/90s action movies centered around the "lone rogue" archetype with nothing in it to make it really stand out so it's a forgettable movie.  It certainly does have problems when it comes to pacing and plot holes the size of the ones chewed in the scenery by Walken on a SNL skit.  But it's got "some" merit considering its time and even compared to other VODs.  As said above the movie was at least on a technical level competently produced.

I'd say that is, mostly, true with this movie as well. You can tell the people behind the movie actually tried and mostly knew what they were doing.  It's got problems, sure, but compare this (and McBain) to movies like "Guy from Harlem" or "Ghost House" and there's a clear difference.  Some say "competently made movie that could pass for a cinema feature or at least a movie-of-the week or direct-to-video," others say "made by amateurs on a shoe-string budget likely for a community college film class final."

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:04:01 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
McBain: ... watchable

?????????????????????????????????

I stand by it.

McBain has cinematography and location choices that doesn't scream, "We've got two sets, and that's it" (like 90%+ of the VOD films).

It's got actual sound design that isn't "We'll use the Fisher-Price PXL2000's built-in microphone" (Galaxy Invader).

It doesn't have multiple scenes of people wandering around doing the same thing they just did in a previous scene.

It doesn't have interminable minutes of scenes that have no point or purpose outside of stretching the film to 85 minutes.

It's got a soundtrack that had songs I actually wouldn't mind listening to (unlike "generic '80s music" of the Future Forcezone franchise).

It's got actual actors who depict some competence in the art of acting, rather than just stumbling over their lines on their one-and-only take.

It doesn't have any material that says, "Hey, we had a saloon set/amusement park/two helicopters; how can we pad 20 minutes onto this film?" (Buffalo Rider, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, Nightmare at Noon)

It's not dubbed.

It actually seems to have some kind of plot, message, and story arc.

Now, I'm not saying it's a good film (although I'm not a great judge, since it's of a topic and genre that usually doesn't do much for me). But -- from a purely cinematic, technical art-of-movies viewpoint -- it's certainly much more watchable than nearly all the other VOD offerings. It didn't feel like a bunch of film-school freshmen using their weekend to slap together a film. I've paid full price to see other movies that I've found less competent (which I can't say about most other VOD films).

The McBain promotional department is free to use any of my endorsement above as quotes for their video jackets.

Almost all the things you list here that make a film "watchable," when missing from a film make that film "watchable" for me. But then again I'm a freak. We all know that, right?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »
I totally agree with that too.

Well yeah, she was originally a poodle, after all. 

RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing