Author Topic: What... THINGS... did... WE... LEARN?!  (Read 6352 times)

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
Re: What... THINGS... did... WE... LEARN?!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »
We learned at the very least a Rifftrax with Christopher Walken in it is a must have and as a bonus we get Michael Ironside?!  Man, could there be anything more watchable?

It seemed like everyone in this movie was having a really great time! Kind of like a wedding reception that you weren't sure you wanted to go to, but really enjoyed by the end. I still think this movie was made solely to launder a whole lot of drug money, but it was quite the kick in the head!
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
I learned that "Michael Ironside" is a person that people know. I just thought, "Wow, that white man has a fantastic ass," but then my husband's all "Wow, that's Michael Ironside," like that would mean something to me.

I also learned that the physics in this movie would never work at all. When I asked my personal physicist if the firing a gun out of a plane would successfully kill the enemy pilot, he said "Yeah, sure. Go get 'em girls." He was also super impressed with the GPS salad spinner add-on for your laptop.
Oh, see, now here we go. I thought "michael ironside" was supposed to be the blond kid with the bulbous tush who flew the not--exactlly-legit "U.S." fighter jet. Come to find he was the guy with the creepy little middle-aged-man ponytail. I still only know him as "that guy in that show." Look, just set me up with some DVDs of WKRP, OK? I'm not ready for this millennium.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »
Ahh, you would need to be well versed in 80's and early 90's action movies to truly know who Michael Ironside is. The man is a LEGEND to those who take their movies over the top, silly, and absolutely amazing.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 04:54:04 AM »
I can't think of a film with worse 'good' guys.  They have the gall to (in between ruthlessly murdering everyone) wear hideous Hawaiian shirts.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 06:42:41 AM »
I learned it is really hard to tie up a steering wheel to keep it straight, and some fighter pilots have really crappy reaction times so they just can't jump out of anything fast enough.

Oh and also in that same scene I learned that you really need a fuel truck rigged to explode to knock down a gate.  Even though it seemed like the truck all by itself was doing a pretty good job, the explosion really helped, ah, clear out the empty area beyond the gate...?

Plus, that whole truck thing was unnecessary considering all of the rockets that they had to shoot afterwards.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:08 AM »
I learned that in a scene that establishes our main character's fighting skills that impresses a guy he just met so much that it starts the plot of the movie, it is entirely unnecessary for the main character be impressive AT ALL.

I learned that it is okay to have a shot that makes it looks like our heroine and love interest is ROBBING villagers.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Ahh, you would need to be well versed in 80's and early 90's action movies to truly know who Michael Ironside is. The man is a LEGEND to those who take their movies over the top, silly, and absolutely amazing.

I remember him most strongly as Richter in the 1990 "Total Recall". The man just oozes evil. He must have been a shark in a previous life. A deranged, had-to-evolve-into-a-human-just-to-kick-puppies, shark. And what's really scary is that he is a method actor, who stays in character between takes. With all the bad guys and psychos this guy plays, I can't imagine what he's like on set.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
I learned that posing for pics before the graves of recently murdered villagers is fun. Fun!

I learned that Columbians have no issues whatsoever putting their children and grandmothers in the front lines of the Revolution.

Man, this movie gives Mythbusters a whole season worth of material.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »
Man, people not knowing who Michael Ironside is makes me feel old, which I really shouldn't be feeling at 34.

I learned that if you're going to extort a mafioso kingpin for finances for your personal international incident misadventure you should: Kidnap him, .... knock him out?... tie him to a chair and suspend him off the edge of the building, lay out your extortion deal, and then leave him hanging off the building with no obvious means of escape while your contact information for your Swiss Bank Account (TM!) remains precariously perched on a ledge on a flimsy piece of paper.  I also learned said mafioso king pins are actually pretty easy to capture and get information out of.

Offline sendtoscott

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:44 AM »
I learned that Mike/Kevin/Bill will wait YEARS to get in that "Beyond Thunderdome" joke Tom Servo originally wanted.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:15:57 AM by sendtoscott »

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
Man, people not knowing who Michael Ironside is makes me feel old, which I really shouldn't be feeling at 34.

You're so sweet! I'm not too young to have known Michael Ironside, I'm so old I still treasure John Saxon as my action bad guy of choice.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 735
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »

I remember him most strongly as Richter in the 1990 "Total Recall". The man just oozes evil. He must have been a shark in a previous life. A deranged, had-to-evolve-into-a-human-just-to-kick-puppies, shark. And what's really scary is that he is a method actor, who stays in character between takes. With all the bad guys and psychos this guy plays, I can't imagine what he's like on set.

For me Michael Ironside will always Lt Ratczeck (no idea if that's spelled right) from Starship Troopers. Without a doubt my favorite cheesy movie of all time. And I've said it before (namely after the T:Salvation riff), Michael Ironside is simultaneously awful and awesome in everything he's in.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
Michael Ironside in Total Recall FTW.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
I always think of Scanners when I see him. Hopefully they don't think too hard about me. ;)

/yes, I'm old
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:41:50 PM by eegah »

Offline MrBNatural by Conn

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
I learned they relied on J Patterson for all the music for the movie.