Author Topic: Re: Vacations  (Read 9314 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Re: Vacations
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
Just a few tips for people going on vacation from a motel worker. 

Do not use online services like Priceline or Expedia.  You are not really saving any money, and can get the same deal (or better even) if you contact the hotel directly, or go to their website.  You can also get good discounts if you are an older person, you don't have to be a member of AARP, at our motel its age 55.  Also, AAA and anybody who works for the Governemnt or Military get special rates.  This inclues anybody from teachers, to marines.  Our motel also gives special rates for people traveling in groups.

I want to tell my customers this so bad, but I cannot.  For example, I just a read a review of somebody who stayed at our hotel and booked at Expedia.  They paid over $90 (with taxes) for a weekday rate and were talking about the great deal.  For the same room they could have gone directly through us and  saved over $10.00, this is rack rate, with no other discounts.  They probaby also don't realize that the motel will only see about $62 of what they paid.  The rest goes to the online booking company.

Also look for those travel guides found at rest stops and vistior centers.  With one of these coupons (walk ins only though) they could have saved $30!

I typically "shop around" when looking for a hotel.  For example the one we're staying at this weekend I checked prices on via AAA, directly though the hotel, then through the rewards program of the hotel, then through the rewards program on my Best Buy card.

Best price was directly through the hotel (which I could also access through the BB card program for triple points) plus also use my hotel rewards card to get additional points that way.  Saved about 40 bucks a night.  Plus I'm getting all those points for Best Buy gift cards and now I have enough points that my next stay at the hotel is free.

If only I had been able to work my frequent flyer miles in to the mix somehow...  :)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: Re: Vacations
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
Yes, those rewards cards can really help with the saving.  I checked in a guy in the other day that had over 111,000 points.  A free nights stay is 11,000 points.

It's also good for the front desk clerks.  At my motel the clerk that signs a guest up for those cards gets points everytime the card is used.  I'm up to over 10,000 points in just two months.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:37:28 PM by Mrs. Dick Courier »
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Vacations
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
Is that Robocop statue up yet?
I think it's awaiting approval to be erected actually, the money was raised and the statue created, then things went quiet.

Come see sunny Detroit, we have a gigantic tire.
Is it on fire? Because if it's not, that's kind of a deal-breaker.
...it... can...be....
Sold!
Ok the I'll talk to my fri...well let's cal him an acquaintance.. Reggie Reg*; I'll tell him the tire stole one of his beers, that's been enough in the past.

*I kid you not; I really do know someone who goes by Reggie Reg and, er, who's a little leaky in the old think tank...

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
Sunny* Carolinas, here we come!!

In a few weeks we're heading south again. First stop is in North Carolina, where we'll spend four days in the mountains where we always go. Then we're taking a little side trip to Hunting Island State Park on the coast of South Carolina for some camping fun, then down to Savannah, Georgia to drop my youngest off for her first year of college. And then APGIL and I are driving hell-bent for leather back up to Pennsylvania.

Hopefully it will be a fun trip and as always, we'll post pictures.

* Hopefully sunny and not in the middle of a giant hurricane.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3827
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
OOO Hunting Island State Park is south of Charleston, SC. Never been there but if it's anything like Charleston or King's Bay, GA. (both of which I was stationed back when I was in the Navy) you'll need lots and lots of mosquito repellant! :o

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »
I look forward to photos of APGIL gettin' the vapors.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »

Hopefully it will be a fun trip and as always, we'll post pictures.

Also, this would be a great opportunity to take some video.. 8)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Yeah, I was looking at the map when I was on the phone with him and I was like, And it's right along the coast and the campground is on the ocean and it... looks a little... swampy... which means we'll have mosquitoes....  :-\

So I figured the bugs would be an issue.  Hopefully not so bad that we'll spend the entire time in the tent.

As far as photos and videos go, you will likely see plenty of APGIL's foot in front of the campfire.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
Yeah, I was looking at the map when I was on the phone with him and I was like, And it's right along the coast and the campground is on the ocean and it... looks a little... swampy... which means we'll have mosquitoes....  :-\

So I figured the bugs would be an issue.  Hopefully not so bad that we'll spend the entire time in the tent.

As far as photos and videos go, you will likely see plenty of APGIL's foot in front of the campfire.
Yeah the insect infestations along the south-east coast are horrid as several friends of mine told me And I have personally experienced BUT I wouldn't let that stop you from having a good time! 8)

If there is any good scenery there (at both stops), definitely catch that ... Even with APGIL's foot/feet ;D

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
Next weekend I'm taking a surprise trip with my brother to visit my dad in Virginia Beach. It's a 9-10 hour drive, so I need to find something to play in the car. Pretty sure I could get away with playing this for about 30-45 minutes. Considering acquiring audiobooks of something like Twilight of 50 Shades of Grey, really anything along those lines. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
Does it have to be annoying or do you just want long? There are tons of great audio dramatizations I could tell you about, hell even original series.  :)

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:40 AM »
Not so much "annoying" as "something he doesn't find humor in". I could probably get away with playing those books by relating it to how I like watching b-movies, which is something he just doesn't "get".
Which reminds me, I should finally listen to all of this video.
Failing all those, I could always just play Rush the entire time.

Also considering buying a Rubik's cube, handing it to him as soon as we get in the car and saying "You have 10 hours."
Brotherly love, amirite?