Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 31529 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Grindhouse
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 06:14:49 AM »
Man, I hope this happens. An NC-17 rating might be the only way to convince my boss to get it, and snipe the business away from the Regal up the road.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 06:17:37 AM »
Theaters will refuse to show it. Because Adult films are bad, mmmkay?

...but it's quite obviously not an adult film.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 06:20:19 AM »
Theaters will refuse to show it. Because Adult films are bad, mmmkay?

...but it's quite obviously not an adult film.

Unfortunately, most people's thinking about this is pretty reductive. Many newspapers have standing policies to refuse ANY advertising for an NC-17 film.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 06:22:08 AM »
from darkhorizons.com

The New York Post reports that there is no way the current version of the film can earn an "R" rating, not a problem for the intended audience but definitely a problem for the exhibitors, marketing people and advertisers who won't be able to promote or display either an NC-17 or Unrated version.

I don't understand, what's the point of of a rating if it means the movie can't be shown?

There is a documentary called, "This Film is not Yet Rated" and it's all about the ratings board and the fact that it really represents a backdoor censorship policy.  For the that very reason, that an unrated, or NC-17 flick, doesn't get any distribution, promotion, or exhibition, studios are more or less OBLIGATED to cut their films, in effect "censor" them.  Clever, huh?

The board represents itself as a passive, unbiased, review board there for the sole purpose of informing parents so that they can make good decisions about what junior sees, etc, but the reality is quite... different.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 06:49:38 AM »
from darkhorizons.com

The New York Post reports that there is no way the current version of the film can earn an "R" rating, not a problem for the intended audience but definitely a problem for the exhibitors, marketing people and advertisers who won't be able to promote or display either an NC-17 or Unrated version.

I don't understand, what's the point of of a rating if it means the movie can't be shown?

There is a documentary called, "This Film is not Yet Rated" and it's all about the ratings board and the fact that it really represents a backdoor censorship policy.  For the that very reason, that an unrated, or NC-17 flick, doesn't get any distribution, promotion, or exhibition, studios are more or less OBLIGATED to cut their films, in effect "censor" them.  Clever, huh?

The board represents itself as a passive, unbiased, review board there for the sole purpose of informing parents so that they can make good decisions about what junior sees, etc, but the reality is quite... different.

EXACTLY. Which is why, when areas of the media or entertainment industries censor themselves to stave off the threats of asshole politicians, they're actually making the situation worse. At least with government censorship, you can challenge it in court for its CLEARLY un-Constitutional nature; with crap like the MPAA or ESRB, your membership in those trade groups constitutes consent to their censorship.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »
The MPAA also says they don't play favorites or anything but that is utter bullshiat! Look what happened the other day with the Transformers movie. It got an "R" and Steven Spielberg got them to change it to PG-13. Just like that. Spielberg who always seems to get the ratings he needs wihtout having to make cuts. They took heat for giving a PG rating to Temple of Doom so instead of just making it R or cutting they invented a new rating.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2007, 11:01:20 AM »
This is just TOO cool to be a hit at the box office...... but I bet it will sell a TON of DVDs.

I know I will be buying it.

Glad to see that two "hollywood" directors have enough indie clout to do this.    I bet they would love Rifftrax too.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2007, 11:03:44 AM »
Well, Speilburg is a documented MST3K fan, so... he probly would like Rifftrax...

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2007, 11:08:19 AM »
Glad to see that two "hollywood" directors have enough indie clout to do this.    I bet they would love Rifftrax too.

Neither Tarantino nor Rodriguez have been the type to play by Hollywood's rules. For example, neither man is a member of the DGA (Directors Guild of America): Tarantino always put his "Directed By" credit at the beginning of his opening credits, in direct contradiction to the DGA's rules about having the director's name come last, and Rodriguez tore up his membership card when the DGA gave him a hard time about sharing director's credit with Frank Miller on Sin City.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »
This is just TOO cool to be a hit at the box office...... but I bet it will sell a TON of DVDs.

I don't think it is any less accessable than Kill Bill was and that made 180 million bucks worldwide.  150 million for KBV2. Sin City took in 150 million worldwide as well. I don't think those were consider flops or anything since they were relativly cheap to make these days.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »

I don't think it is any less accessable than Kill Bill was and that made 180 million bucks worldwide.  150 million for KBV2. Sin City took in 150 million worldwide as well. I don't think those were consider flops or anything since they were relativly cheap to make these days.

I hope you are right.   We deserve to have hits that are actually good.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
Wouldn't that be nice!

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Oh, I think Grindhouse will kick some ass at the box office, I got no doubt about that.  It'll be a 100 million dollar race in the next few weeks between 300 and Grindhouse, mark me words, me lads!  (St. Paddy's day an' all)...

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »

I'd love to wake up one day to find that an NC-17 movie has become the highest grossing film of all time. That would certainly piss off mainstream America. :)
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
The MPAA also says they don't play favorites or anything but that is utter bullshiat! Look what happened the other day with the Transformers movie. It got an "R" and Steven Spielberg got them to change it to PG-13. Just like that. Spielberg who always seems to get the ratings he needs wihtout having to make cuts. They took heat for giving a PG rating to Temple of Doom so instead of just making it R or cutting they invented a new rating.

What was bad about 'Temple of Doom'?  Didn't religious-types protest 'Passion of jeebus' so that got a lower rating?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)