Author Topic: Why does every store have a discount club or some crap like that?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
I had to go to Pep Boys yesterday to get window de-icer fluid and some more washer fluid for my car.  At checkout, they asked me "do you have our rewards card?"

I had to go to Sears today to get 45 cents worth of washers.  The cashier asked me "do you have a Sears rewards card"?

I've had to buy notebooks a few times since I've been back at school.  It's hard to find good, durable, college ruled notebooks.  Mead and Five-Star make good ones.  So I had to go to Staples, where they, of course, asked if I had a Staples rewards card.

On a few occasions, my sweet tooth would act up and I would go to the Walgreens to get a candy bar.  With my 79 cents worth of purchases was always the inevitable question "Do you have a Wellness Card?"

I need socks, but the nearest place to get those is the K-Mart.  K-Mart always asks me if I have a K-Mart rewards card.

A month or two ago, when I needed new shoes, I went to Payless.  They asked if I wanted to join their frequent shopper club.

I went to Barnes and Noble to get a book on Tuesday.  I think you see where this is going.....

Why is every damn chain store like this?  EVERY... DAMN... STORE...

Okay maybe that's an exaggeration, though not by much.  I got my glow-in-the-dark paint at AC Moore this morning and the whole transaction was a simple "I give them my stuff, they give me a price, I give them money".  Target and Walmart, thankfully, never ask for anything other than your money.

All the time, everywhere, it's "do you have our club card" this and "you can get 10% off with our card" that.  All the fucking time!  And I don't know why, but I'm reaching this point where I become riddled with anxiety approaching any big chain store.  Why?  Why do they all do this shit?  Especially the drug store!  I just wanted a god damn candy bar!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1519
Re: Why does every store have a discount club or some crap like that?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »
Judging by your user name I figured you would be all about reward cards and memberships and coupons. 

My understanding is that they work in the same psychological vein as the coffee shop punch card.  I want a coffee.  I could go to a coffee shop that is closer and cheaper, BUT, I'm only seven punches away from a free coffee at The Bean Bucket, so I will go out of my way to give The Bean Bucket more of my money.  Same thing with rewards cards.  If I buy toothpaste at Rite Aid I'm not collecting rewards hooey for Wallgreens, despite them being the exact same store and I should have no preference between the two other than their proximity to my current location. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:26:42 AM by varietyofcells »

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Exactly what that guy just said.
The grocery store I work for offers 10 cents off every gallon of gas for every $100 you spend there per month. We don't have the best prices, selection, or appearance (Wegmans kicks our ass in all three), and the gas saving are miniscule*, but it works.

I used to work at Delta Sonic Car Wash/gas station. They didn't have a "rewards" program, but if you bought a wash you saved 3 cents per gallon of gas, with a limit of 30 gallons. Or 90 cents. And people threw fits about getting that savings.

*For the average person. However, there are some organizations that have a representative go there to buy what they need. The Syracuse Cookie Tasters come in every once in a while and buy 24 gallons of whole milk. I forget where this one guy was from, but he came in every week to buy a case of eggs (30 dozen) and a few cases of a few other items. He basically gets free gas.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm with you, Thrifty.

I'm less than thrilled about my purchases being tracked (because, bottom line, that is what this is all about) but I think the thing that irks me the most about the endless clubs that you're asked to join is having to deal with the cards. They clutter up my key chain or my wallet, and not only do I have to dig out my money or debit/credit card when I buy something, I have to dig out some dumb card, too.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »
Yeah the only Rewards card worth a damn is the BiLo grocery store's 'Gas perks' where you can get anywhere from $.10 - $.75 cents off on a gallon of gas 8)
I never carry the card, I just give'em my phone number

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:07 PM »
I don't really mind signing up for them. I only carry around my Best Buy and Price Chopper (where I work) cards since they're the only ones I use frequently. Most of the times they can just look it up by phone number anyway. And since I use my bank card to pay for everything it's already being tracked. And if my work wants to give me occasional coupons for my brand of deodorant or whatever, and Best Buy wants to give me $20 for buying my TV that's just fine by me.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »
Yes it's a loyalty and data collection thing. Mind you I get a free truffle from Godiva each month (and only use the store for buying eyeballs around December 13th) so I don't mind that card.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:33:20 PM »
What really bothers me is that just about every place has these.  Even the kind of place (Pep Boys, Sears) that I go to once in a blue moon.  I just resent the overcomplication of the sales transaction.  I hate being asked.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
I actually recently started working at Sears. Trust me, it's not fun being on the other side of it either. I was told to just ask for the phone number first, which some people get pissy about. Not to mention we are basically required to ask every customer if the have the Sears credit card and try to sign them up for it if not. I'm just glad I don't run register very often.

With all the work I've had done at Pep Boys it would have been worth it for me to have it    but the coupons got sent to the wrong address

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
I get asked for my phone number at the register all the time. I just politely say that I don't give out my phone number. Because I don't.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »
I get asked for my phone number at the register all the time. I just politely say that I don't give out my phone number. Because I don't.
We give them the number that's been disconnected ;D

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

Which is great unless it's been assigned to someone else by now?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Target and Walmart, thankfully, never ask for anything other than your money.

Really, I go to Target about once a week and 99% of the time they ask if I want to sign up for a Target card.   At least it's quick, some places insist on listing all the benefits even after you say no.

When the person in front of you agrees to sign up it's pretty darn annoying.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »
If any store uses a phone number (especially throw away rewards cards like grocery stores) just use your area code and the old Tommy Tutone song 867-5309.  I guarantee that someone everywhere thought they were being slick when filling out the form using that number.  I once accidentally started to sing it to the cashier and it looked like she almost caught on.  That number was used so much at the Safeway that I got some free Disney DVDs once.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »

Which is great unless it's been assigned to someone else by now?
Yes because of that we used to receive phone calls for the Khans; a couple fond of making and then reneging on pledges to charities.

Now I suppose those charities call a tow truck business that got the number after we dropped that line.