login

Author Topic: LoC 66 Top 50 80s Movies  (Read 66543 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: LoC 66 Top 50 80s Movies
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »
He sort of reminds me of a third Chuckle Brother really.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »
Yeah, I like UHF but it's not really a great movie.  I mean it's the best movie ever when you're 10 and you are living in the 1980's, but it's only slightly better than Johnny Dangerously and about as good as Spaceballs.  Fun, yes, but certainly not great.

EDIT:  What I am shocked about is the low number of people voting for Trains, Planes and Automobiles.  Only 2 people out of 24 voted for that?  I think both leads give performances that are funny and emotionally powerful and it's one of my all time favourite movies.  I also think it's John Hughes' best movie and it certainly feels personal (I can imagine that  it taps into the same  feelings that caused him to go into semi-retirement in the first place) and mature (and not just because it focuses on an adult cast).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:32:12 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
EDIT:  What I am shocked about is the low number of people voting for Trains, Planes and Automobiles.  Only 2 people out of 24 voted for that?  I think both leads give performances that are funny and emotionally powerful and it's one of my all time favourite movies.  I also think it's John Hughes' best movie and it certainly feels personal (I can imagine that  it taps into the same  feelings that caused him to go into semi-retirement in the first place) and mature (and not just because it focuses on an adult cast).

Total surprise. I'm also surprised about Predator and Caddyshack. These are absolutely iconic eighties films! Only four lists each! I had a lot of movies that I remember my friends and I constantly quoting; maybe that's why I'm attaching more significance to some of these.

It's interesting the way this thing is playing out, and I'll be very curious to see what lands in the top ten.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
Trailers

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Platoon

Excalibur

A Fish Called Wanda

The Lost Boys

Predator

Caddyshack

Sad that Mr Gopher never went onto anything else.

UHF

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
36a. Excalibur

(45 points, 3 lists of 24, highest ranking: #7 Tripe H. Redux)
Without which, my bachelor's thesis would have been without a title (and a subject really, though partly I chose that to big up one of my ancestors' plays as well).

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »

Total surprise. I'm also surprised about Predator and Caddyshack. These are absolutely iconic eighties films! Only four lists each! I had a lot of movies that I remember my friends and I constantly quoting; maybe that's why I'm attaching more significance to some of these.

It's interesting the way this thing is playing out, and I'll be very curious to see what lands in the top ten.

Well personally, I think Predator is good, but it certainly didn't even get consideration on my list.  Just a dumb, fun action flick.  As for Caddyshack, I haven't seen it.  There will be a movie coming up, I'm certain, that I didn't vote for, mostly because it slipped my mind.  It probably would have made my top ten if I remembered, so I apologize in advance.

36a. Excalibur

(45 points, 3 lists of 24, highest ranking: #7 Tripe H. Redux)
Without which, my bachelor's thesis would have been without a title (and a subject really, though partly I chose that to big up one of my ancestors' plays as well).

Excalibur... I'm surprised it made it as high as it did.  No one really talks about it, but it's REALLY good and cool.  It's also interesting in that while it's not exactly a radical departure, it's true enough to the source material that it has a really odd structure to it.  If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.  Miles away better than Legend (though I will concede that Legend had the better villain).

BTW, how friggin' incredible is that poster!  I love the way the armour gleams (in the film too).

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
As for Caddyshack, I haven't seen it.

The fuck? How does that even happen?!?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »

BTW, how friggin' incredible is that poster!  I love the way the armour gleams (in the film too).

D'oh! Based on that poster alone, I should have had J.J. Abrams as the director for the remake.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »

You're gonna love this though: I've seen Caddyshack 2 about 5 times!  And I liked it!  NOT A JOKE!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »
D'oh! Based on that poster alone, I should have had J.J. Abrams as the director for the remake.
No, because there's a visible source for the flares, that's generally not the case with Bad Robot.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »

You're gonna love this though: I've seen Caddyshack 2 about 5 times!  And I liked it!  NOT A JOKE!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6581
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
Hey, it wasn't until a few days ago that I saw Planes, Trains and Automobiles (and the timing had nothing to do with this list). And there are definitely several on this list already that I haven't seen but should.

Yes, RAN is on my Netflix que.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »
Grave of the Fireflies

Back to great movie clips

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8cFbhtfBdA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/V8cFbhtfBdA</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »

To be fair liked is past tense.  I haven't seen it in the present but I would probably hate it.  See, back when I was ages 6-8, MITV (the Maritime Network), seemed to show it every other weekend.  And children ages 6-8 will watch just about anything.  Local Canadian channels are cruel (the Police Academy movies also popped up a lot).

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
Tron

<a href="http://movieclips.com/e/3LBHM/0/45.18" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://movieclips.com/e/3LBHM/0/45.18</a>