login

Author Topic: Iron Man 3  (Read 10800 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Iron Man 3
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
A few, this would be the second one to feature Iron Man to do it.

Also, that's using the short form Billion, colonials.  ::)

;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:09:54 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
Has any movie EVER made a billion dollars?

THE AVENGERS
$1,511,757,910

The Dark Knight
$1,004,558,444

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
$1,084,439,099

'The Hobbit'
$1,017,003,568

$2,782,275,172

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:13:20 PM by Henry88 »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
The Hobbit?! WHAT?! That boring pile of... I mean, sure, whatever. To each his own.

I also take a more cynical look on Box Office records because our bullshit policy of inflation. All the same, though, it's amazing to me that movies can make that much.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »
I guess I should pay attention to Box Office specifics more. I feel kinda dumb for not know all that.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
It bears repeating that popular =/= good.  I haven't seen Iron Man 3, so I have no idea, but simply saying "Well, it made X amount of money, so it's better than something which didn't" is perhaps not the best indicator of quality.

/sarcastic
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? The hell you say!

Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
Read once that if you consider inflation that Gone With the Wind is the top grossing film of all time.

Most people don't consider inflation though.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »
If you'd told me 14 years ago that Eiffel 65's "Blue" would be used in the soundtrack of a top-grossing motion picture in 2013, I'd have laaaaughed. :^)

Well, to be fair, it WAS a flashback to 1999.  :)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »

So basically the way to enjoy a movie adaptation of something is to either hate or have no idea about the source material. Seems to be true for LOTR and the new Star Trek as well.

Nope. I've been a Trek fan for nearly 40 years, and I LOVED the first film (we're NOT going into this again; do you hear me?).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
So basically the way to enjoy a movie adaptation of something is to either hate or have no idea about the source material. Seems to be true for LOTR and the new Star Trek as well.

That is probably true most of the time, but I'd flip it and say if you really enjoy the source material it makes it harder to like an adaptation.  The more you like something the harder it is to accept changes to it,

I disagree. I think a fan's ability to accept changes to source material is dependent on two things:

• If the resulting product is any goddamn good; and
  • an individual fan's propensity for dogma.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
The thing about fans is that they've already seen the movie in their head years before anyone greenlit the actual film. I'd like to think most fans of a given thing know that the movie in their head won't be the movie they see on the screen, but there are many who won't accept any deviation.

Some of the most successful adaptations so far, though, are the ones that have made the fewest changes to the core formula. I think that's what we get hung up on. We can accept trimming out a key character here, or a dubious casting decision there (Remember when they announced Ledger as the Joker?) but if it doesn't FEEL like the thing it's adapting (I'm looking your way, Transformers, Fantastic Four, Electra, Catwoman...) then it falls apart.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »
Child Cries After Expecting to Meet Iron Man, Getting RDJ Instead

http://gawker.com/child-cries-after-expecting-to-meet-iron-man-getting-r-513201816