Author Topic: So, what hungry things did we learn?  (Read 5380 times)

Danecho1967

Re: So, what hungry things did we learn?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 04:13:40 PM »
I don't think the point of the Hunger Games was control.  I think it was just capricious punishment.
That makes more sense, but according to my resident teenaged expert on the series, the books say it is supposed to be a reminder that he government has full control of the districts.  Yes, my niece is a fan, and I decided not to tell her that it makes no logical sense.  Choose your battles and all that.

Even if your explanation were the case, though, I think the spoiler would have happened sooner.  All of the districts seemed distinctively western to me.  I know some societies are less protective of children than others, but none of the districts seemed to have such disregard for the lives of their children that they would put up with this for long.

But then, it's just a stupid story, after all.  I should really just relax.  :)

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
I learned that in the future the powers that be will take their fashion ques from Liberace and Ru Paul.

I learned that just putting leaves on your hands makes you invisible in the forest.

I learned that Donald Sutherland is still alive (wasn't too sure about that).

I learned that you can be fighting to the death and hardly eating, and sleeping in the forest for days and still look absolutely FABULOUS with a bow and arrow.

I learned that no amount of on screen shots of some chick mourning the death of twelve year old will make that death seem poignant or real when I haven't gotten to know the character or been made to care about ANYTHING in a film.

I learned that Jennifer Lawrence is a crap actress.

I learned that a complete lack of imagination, common sense, etc. can still earn you millions at the box.....oh, wait, I already knew that.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6489
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
I know some societies are less protective of children than others, but none of the districts seemed to have such disregard for the lives of their children that they would put up with this for long.

they needed a pretty white girl to show them the way.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I know some societies are less protective of children than others, but none of the districts seemed to have such disregard for the lives of their children that they would put up with this for long.

a pretty white working class girl...like all dystopian films this is of course about our times...

Danecho1967

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
Annnnnnnd...  Why does race need to be injected into this? 

I mean, in the other part of my post, I clearly said the twelve districts all appeared to mirror a western sensibility.  Actually, each district really appeared to relate to a region of America.

I have to walk on eggshells here, because anytime things come to a personal level, I'm accused of making attacks, so I'll just say 1. your remark is kind of "out of left field" and has nothing to do with what I was writing about, and 2. do we really have to go there yet again?

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6489
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:00 AM »
da fuq? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1270
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 03:58:35 AM »
Annnnnnnd...  Why does race need to be injected into this? 

I mean, in the other part of my post, I clearly said the twelve districts all appeared to mirror a western sensibility.  Actually, each district really appeared to relate to a region of America.

I have to walk on eggshells here, because anytime things come to a personal level, I'm accused of making attacks, so I'll just say 1. your remark is kind of "out of left field" and has nothing to do with what I was writing about, and 2. do we really have to go there yet again?
Dan, I think it's a comment on the way our society seems to make a big hullabaloo about a pretty white woman going missing or dead, but doesn't really much give a shit if a non-white girl.  It's a well known comedy trope.  Goflyblind isn't injecting race into this on his own, but observing that it already is regardless of what we do.

Danecho1967

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »
Oh.   :-[

My post was written in the midst of Graveyard shift day off induced insomnia.  Anyone who has worked the overnight shift can tell you that trying to live on a normal schedule on days off is about the hardest part of working the shift.

Anyway, I had been awake for about 32 hours, because I literally couldn't fall asleep.  My muddled mind picked up on previous times that political differences had crossed over into non-political discussions, and I kind of forgot about the whole "they only report about the pretty white girl" thing.

So... Yeah.  Sorry.

And, "The" The Hunger Games flaws in logic and stuff...  :)

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »

I learned that just putting leaves on your hands makes you invisible in the forest.

In defense of the "leaves on your hands" thing, that was actually treatment for the trackerjacker venom, not camo. No, the movie doesn't explain that at all, but still...
Edited to add: Rue was the one who knew the treatment and she's the one who put the leaves on Katniss while she was out. Shame the movie didn't explain that, because that's another big reason Katniss chose to trust her.

In answer for spoiler's point:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:09:55 AM by arutha1000 »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
Ah, so that explains that. Thanks.

Way to go movie!

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 323
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »

The book outright states that Panem covers an area once known as North America. It also goes on to say that District 12 is somewhere in Appalachia, and I think it says the Capitol is somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. I know I read that somewhere, I just can't remember where. The movie, of course, doesn't mention any of that.

What I'm wondering is, what is supposed to be going on in the rest of the world?

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »

The book outright states that Panem covers an area once known as North America. It also goes on to say that District 12 is somewhere in Appalachia, and I think it says the Capitol is somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. I know I read that somewhere, I just can't remember where. The movie, of course, doesn't mention any of that.

What I'm wondering is, what is supposed to be going on in the rest of the world?

Disneyappalachia that is...

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1219
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
I thought it was control as well, offering a combination lottery/Olympics to give the people entertained/distracted, give them a sense of pride in their district, creating a sense of competition with the other districts (which would also distract them) and waiving the brass ring of life in the capital.  Personally reminded me a lot of the 'insert your country here' dream cliche.
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 249
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 09:33:30 AM »
I learned that Jennifer Lawrence is a crap actress.

Watch Winter's Bone. She really is good. In this, not as much.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 01:56:24 PM »
It's true almost any would have a hard time with such a role, but there were just moments where she didn't seem to be reacting the way her character would (especially when Katnip was on stage before the rulers).