Author Topic: Hulu Plus vs Amazon  (Read 2217 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Hulu Plus vs Amazon
« on: September 13, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
HI Everyone! (let's pitch in n' get cracking here in Louisiana doing right....)

Anyway, I was thinking about getting a subscription to Hulu Plus or Amazon. I can access both from my AWESOME TV, but I am not sure which is better, so I was hoping to get some opinions from my forum friends.

Now there is a button on my remote to access Amazon but not one for Hulu. So Amazon kind of already has a plus.

Anyway, discuss friends!
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Hulu Plus vs Amazon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
Don't they both offer free trial periods?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
Amazon Prime has some movies and shows that Netflix doesn't.  So far I've seen very few shows that are on Netflix but not Amazon, so Amazon has caught up nicely this year. 

I have both of those, had prime for the free 2 day shipping before they started doing the streaming.

Other thing you can do with Amazon is rent or buy stuff, I buy the season passes for the handful of shows I want to see as soon as they air.

My problem with Hulu is the ads, I really have been spoiled by Netflix and Amazon Prime not having ads.  I guess if you want to stream recent network shows it is good, but don't really see the point of paying extra for that.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
I've had the Hulu stream get stuck quite a bit and it's forced me to close out of the app on my WDTV and reopen it.  Plus the Ads are super annoying.

Plus with Amazon Prime don't you get free shipping on orders? That's a big plus right there.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:22 AM »

Plus with Amazon Prime don't you get free shipping on orders? That's a big plus right there.

Yes, anything Fulfilled by Amazon. Meaning anything shipped from our warehouses (But not 3rd party merchants). With no minimum order amount.
As far as movie selection goes, Amazon recently brokered a deal that doubled our Prime video selection:

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/04/amazon-prime-epix-partnership-movies-tv-shows/

Admittedly my opinion is biased, but I favor Prime.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:36:08 AM by Lembach »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »
I've subscribed to Hulu Plus for two non-consecutive months in the past.  Both times I hated it.  Here's why:

1) Even with the paid Hulu Plus subscription, you still gotta deal with advertisements.  Nothing against ads in general, but it seems like they should be using the ads to generate revenue on free content, and the membership fees for premium content.  Seems to be the way HBO, Cinemax, Starz etc., do it.

2) The stream is glitchy.  I was CONSTANTLY finding the Hulu Plus stream would pause in the middle of what I was watching and start buffering.  While this happens on Netflix's streaming service, it's extremely rare.  I haven't watched as much of Amazon as I've watched of Netflix (maybe 20 hours total, versus hundreds of hours of Netflix), but I never got any buffering problems with Amazon.  I got buffering CONSTANTLY with Hulu Plus.

3) One feature of Hulu Plus that seems appealing is that you can access more content, and you can access their content on a TV, game console, Ipad etc.,  I thought this seemed cool, but I kept running into this situation where I'd find the page for a show (such as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), that was available on PC only to Hulu Plus subscribers, but for some dumb reason was NOT available for streaming through my Roku box.

4) Did I mention the buffering?  Whole lot of the buffering and the stream getting stuck.

Stay away from Hulu Plus.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:55:55 AM »
My problem with Hulu is the ads, I really have been spoiled by Netflix and Amazon Prime not having ads.  I guess if you want to stream recent network shows it is good, but don't really see the point of paying extra for that.

Yes, the area where Netflix lags big time is that they get brand new content MUCH later.  You won't see the current season of a show until about a year after it starts (around the same time the DVD box set is released).  However, Hulu usually provides these shows for free for a few weeks after they air.  If they don't, Amazon will sell or rent them to you a la carte.  Buying/renting a la carte from Amazon is more expensive than the static "all you can eat" service you get from Hulu Plus.  Amazon will still offer a better feed that doesn't stall, or feature ads, and can work on your non-computer device.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:21 AM »
Oh, and Amazon Prime offers SOME shows along with your subscription, but some you still have to pay for.  I have Amazon Prime mainly for the free 2 day shipping.  I don't really look into their video library.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 05:30:04 AM »
I've got both the wireless Netflix movie watching and the Amazon free as I'm a Prime member there.

Really like them both as they can be watched on my home TV and my iPad when traveling.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »

Yes, the area where Netflix lags big time is that they get brand new content MUCH later.  You won't see the current season of a show until about a year after it starts (around the same time the DVD box set is released).

That's not true for all shows.  Netflix seems to have agreements in place for some shows where they get them during the season but a few weeks after they air.  And for some shows they get the entire season a few weeks after the season ends.  I've used Amazon Prime more for movies than shows so don't know if they are the same now.

If you need to see a show right away and don't have a DVR or on-demand, then you can buy them from Amazon.  Guess it comes down to how many shows you want to see right away, for me I can buy the season passes for all the shows I'm interested in for less than the cost of 2 months of extended cable, so it was pretty much a no-brainer to drop down to limited basic cable and save $600 a year.

The few times I've used regular Hulu I didn't have any buffering issues, but have had issues with the ads getting stuck and not restarting the movie or show.  Then you have to reload the page and watch more ads while you try and jump back to where you left off.  Same thing happens when I watch stuff on the Comedy Central website, ads just suck!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
Oh, and Amazon Prime offers SOME shows along with your subscription, but some you still have to pay for.  I have Amazon Prime mainly for the free 2 day shipping.  I don't really look into their video library.

The selections you have to pay for are less expensive than what non-Prime viewers would pay, though. Usually for new releases.

I would like to clarify that I have Amazon Prime mostly for the free 2 day shipping. That is is main value when you consider shipping can cost on the average from 5$-$10 even on small items. I watch the video selection because I can, and most of what I want to watch is free for Prime.

Currently I am working my way through 8 seasons of Red Dwarf. I haven't seen that show in ages.  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!

I have decided against both for the time being. I have until Archer comes back to really make a decision. Previously I was just torrenting the rare tv shows I watch (like Archer and.....well Futurama, but I feel bad about it). In theory I should be able to get my free TV service from the company where I work I just have to pay for a retailer to install (stupid company and their "standards"), so as long as I get off my behind and do that in time for Archer I should be good.

:)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D