login

Author Topic: LoC #63: Top 50 Songs from Movies  (Read 52587 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 734
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: LoC #63: Top 50 Songs from Movies
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »
Wow. Straight out of the gate, three of mine have already made it (I was the other person who voted for Blue Danube). Two of which were even in my top 5. That's got to be a first for me.

On the downside, the fact that Time Warp, which I expected to be a shoe in, ranked so low makes me wonder what chance my lower ranked songs have.

Offline Smoky

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »
I left musicals off my list. I feel like that should be another LoC and it would have taken over the list too much for me.

So far I had Storybook Love (is that what it's called?) on my list, a little bit surprised that only one other person voted for that. I don't love Princess Bride but it's a good song and the movie has such a strong cult following.
I know you are but what am I

MightyJack

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 09:09:02 PM »
I didn't think "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" would make it, happy to see it (hats off to you wurwolf). I think it's a genuinely pretty song too.  And I love the bit in the movie, when he stops for a moment, then decides to lean in and give her the kiss.

I'm an old folkie, so that movie was a lot of fun for me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:48:54 PM by George Harrison »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 04:20:35 AM »
Yay! started!

...just tagging this so it shows up in my feed :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5135
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 06:05:54 AM »
I left musicals off my list. I feel like that should be another LoC and it would have taken over the list too much for me.

I must admit, sometime after we do musicals (and we will), I'd also like to do musical numbers.  So I don't have that many of those, but I had more than I expected.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 06:24:16 AM »
I didn't think "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" would make it, happy to see it (hats off to you wurwolf). I think it's a genuinely pretty song too.  And I love the bit in the movie, when he stops for a moment, then decides to lean in and give her the kiss.

I'm an old folkie, so that movie was a lot of fun for me.

I figured if I could get one song from a Christopher Guest movie on the list, "A Kiss" would be it. I don't even know if the music to the Corky St. Clair dance has a title. :D
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
#45: Cry Little Sister
30 Points (On 2 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #7 by Cole Stratton

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTdF7dvNCDo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FTdF7dvNCDo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: The Lost Boys

Composers: Gerard McMann & Michael Mainieri

Performers: Gerard McMann

Description:
The Lost Boys is a 1987 American teen horror film directed by Joel Schumacher and starring Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Corey Feldman, Dianne Wiest, Edward Herrmann, Alex Winter, Jamison Newlander, and Barnard Hughes.

The film is about two Arizonan brothers who move to California and end up fighting a gang of teenage vampires. The title is a reference to the Lost Boys in J. M. Barrie's stories about Peter Pan and Neverland.

The theme song, "Cry Little Sister", was originally recorded by Gerard McMahon (under his pseudonym Gerard McMann) for the soundtrack, and later re-released on his self-titled album "G Tom Mac" in 2000. In the film's sequel, Lost Boys: The Tribe, "Cry Little Sister" was covered by a Seattle based rock band, Aiden.

Fun Fact: On the Amazon review for the bluray of The Lost Boys, the first entry is by someone named Gerard T. McGuire and is given four stars and a glowing review. Coincidence? Perhaps...
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
Highest Placement: #7 by Cole Stratton

Color me unsurprised. :)

Yeah, Cole's list is not surprising in the least. :D
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
#44: White Christmas
31 Points (On 2 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #6 by Sicgirl

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7A03tpV-70k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7A03tpV-70k?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: White Christmas (NOT Holiday Inn  ;))

Composer: Irving Berlin

Performer: Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney & cast

Description:
"White Christmas" is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the version sung by Bing Crosby is the best-selling single of all time, with estimated sales in excess of 50 million copies worldwide. In 1942, it won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for the film Holiday Inn.

Accounts vary as to when and where Berlin wrote the song. One story is that he wrote it in 1940, in warm La Quinta, California, while staying at the La Quinta Hotel, a frequent Hollywood retreat also favored by writer-producer Frank Capra. He often stayed up all night writing — he told his secretary, "Grab your pen and take down this song. I just wrote the best song I've ever written — heck, I just wrote the best song that anybody's ever written!"

Bing Crosby recorded the song with the John Scott Trotter Orchestra and the Ken Darby Singers for Decca Records on May 29, 1942, and it was released on July 30 as part of an album of six 78-rpm songs from the film Holiday Inn. At first, Crosby did not see anything special about the song. He just said, "I don't think we have any problems with that one, Irving." Another Crosby vehicle that featured the song — the 1954 musical White Christmas — was the highest-grossing film of 1954.

White Christmas was intended to reunite Crosby and Fred Astaire for their third Irving Berlin showcase musical. Crosby and Astaire had previously co-starred in Holiday Inn and Blue Skies (1946). Astaire declined the project after reading the script. Donald O'Connor was signed to replace Astaire, but had to drop out of the project due to illness. O'Connor was replaced by Danny Kaye. Some of the choreography was directed by an uncredited Bob Fosse.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3179
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
Ooh. Christmas movies completely slipped my mind (What with it being August and all). There's a few songs I regret leaving out now...

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I should point out that both Sicgirl and APGIL made a point of mentioning that the song should come from the movie White Christmas and NOT Holiday Inn. :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

jasimon1

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
I should point out that both Sicgirl and APGIL made a point of mentioning that the song should come from the movie White Christmas and NOT Holiday Inn. :)

We have a long standing arguement in our office about which is the better version. Obviously you know which side I am. This is so big that we've booked a conference room for a week this December and we're making the people who haven't seen them watch both and pick a side.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »

the dead kennedys did a cover of white christmas? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »
#43: Johnny B Goode
31 Points (On 2 of 19 lists)
Highest Placement: #4 by CJones

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uE9_2vIlAmU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uE9_2vIlAmU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Featured In: Back to the Future

Composer: Chuck Berry

Performers: Michael J. Fox, Mark Campbell & Tim May

Description:
Michael J. Fox's performance of the song is one of the signature moments of Back to the Future. Marty's singing was dubbed by Mark Campbell. Fox asked guitarist Paul Hanson to teach him the precise sequence of chords, so that it would appear that Marty's guitar playing would match with the soundtrack. However, guitarist Tim May, rather than Hanson, recorded the actual music. Hanson appeared on film as the bass guitarist for The Pinheads.

Despite Marty's instructions, both Chuck Berry's original recording and the rendition heard in the film are actually played on a "B flat" blues scale, not "B". Nevertheless, Marty's fingers do appear to be playing the song on the "B" blues scale in the film (assuming the guitar is using standard tuning).

On the commentary of the first film, Robert Zemeckis confirmed that the "Johnny B. Goode" scene was nearly cut from the finished film because according to him, it was the only place in the film where the storyline stopped for Michael J. Fox to do the performance. However, Arthur Schmidt, one of the editors of Back to the Future, suggested leaving the scene in for the preview screening of the film, and it was finally left in the finished film.

Recently, Michael J. Fox performed the song for his annual charity benefit for Parkinson's, a disease from which he suffers. Although he mimed the guitar-playing and singing for Back to the Future, he learned to play the song not long after completing that movie. Here's the article about his recent performance: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/14/michael-j-fox-plays-guita_n_1091324.html#s470825
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Smoky

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »
#45: Cry Little Sister
Yes! I'm glad at least one other person remembered Cry Little Sister! Thanks, Cole Stratton.
I know you are but what am I