Author Topic: Cheetahmen II; Help Keep Crappy NES Games Alive  (Read 952 times)

Offline AbsoluteDeicide

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
Cheetahmen II; Help Keep Crappy NES Games Alive
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »
I take it everyone here likes watching bad movies, well how about bad games?  How about bad NES games?  How about NES games so bad and broken they sit in warehouses for 21 years? 

I've been watching The Angry Video Game Nerd for years.  He's always cracked me up because my eight year old self identifies with him, and when he tones down the act he can make some informative and entertaining videos about gaming's past; his Swordquest and Pong Consoles episodes in particular are great looks into the past and are hilarious.  I also have him to blame for introducing me to the notorious Action 52 games, and what's considered the Holy Grail of bad games: Cheetahmen II.

Cheetahmen II is one of the rarest NES games out there.  To get a legitimate copy it will run you around the $40,000+ range.  Asking why someone would want such a crappy game is like asking why anyone would want to own a copy of Manos; the difference being Manos doesn't cost as much as a new car. 

Recently a project has surfaced by the owner of the Cheetahmen license to fix and release the game at a much lower cost via Kickstarter: Cheetahmen II: The Lost Levels.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ChiQva0TyU&amp;feature=g-all-u" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_ChiQva0TyU&amp;feature=g-all-u</a>

Being a game collector I'm really pulling for this to happen.  Yep, it's not the same as having the rare, unreleased, broken version of Cheetahmen II, but it's the closest most of us will get without resorting to piracy, bootlegging, or robbing a bank.  Plus it comes with some awesome (?) extras depending on how much you pledge.  I also just find the concept so ridiculous and stupid it's hilarious.  You can find a more detailed opinion about the project and Kickstarter in general here

If anyone is interested in the project please keep in mind that that it has to reach it's goal before September 6th.  Right now it's 58% funded with 22 days to go so it's looking good, but with something this obscure and horrible nothing is certain.  I'd suggest that even if you don't want to make the investment in an NES console (you didn't keep yours?) but still find the project amusing, at least throw in a couple bucks to show support for terrible entertainment.  If you do pledge $60 or more for the game it should arrive at your door on December 12, so you can enjoy a couple weeks of deep hurting before the collective madness of hundreds of people playing Cheetahmen II simultaneously inevitably causes the Mayan doomsday phropecy to come true.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:52:04 PM by AbsoluteDeicide »