Author Topic: LoC #62 - Top 50 Tabletop Games  (Read 41050 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC #62 - Top 50 Tabletop Games
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
# 3: Trivial Pursuit

1985 Points (On 9 of 14 lists)
Highest Vote: (#1 by Pak-Man, Monty, Gojikranz)

Publication Date: 1981

Number of Players: 2-24

Designed by:   Scott Abbot, Chris Haney

Publisher: Parker Brothers, Hasbro

Description:
Trivial Pursuit is the original trivia game that started it all.

Each player has a circular playing piece with six pie-shaped holes. The goal of the game is to collect a pie in each color. The colors correspond to different question categories.

The board consists of a circular track with spaces in seven different colors. Six of the colors correspond to question categories while the last color gives a new dice roll. Six spaces along the track are "pie spaces", and from these there are "spokes" of track leading to the middle of the board.

Players roll a die and move along the track in any direction they like. When a player stops on a color they get a question of the appropriate category. If the player answers a question correctly while on a pie space, they get a pie of that color (assuming they don't already have it). A correct answer on another square allows the player to roll again.

Once the player has one pie in each color, she can move along the spokes to the middle of the board to win the game.

Hey, How Do I Win This?
Get all six pie pieces and then move to the center of the board and answer one last question to win.

Fun Gaming Facts:
Between 1983-5, 30 million copies of Trivial Pursuit were sold.

Two different lawsuits have been launched against Trivial Pursuit- one alleging that many on the questions and answers were stolen from his books and another alleging that they told one of the creators about the game during a hitch hiking trip in the last 70s. Neither lawsuit was successful.

How many different game shows did Trivial Pursuit spawn? Seven. Three in the US, two in the UK and one in Spain and Germany.

In 1988, a made for TV movie called "Breaking all the Rules: The Creation of trivial Pursuit" aired. It portrayed the creators of the game as beer loving Canadians. So, apparently it was pretty accurate.

Some of the various editions of the game: Genus, Baby Boomers, 80s, 90s, Disney, Silver Screen, All American, Star Wars, Millennium, Lord of the Rings, Globe Trotter, Pop Culture, SNL.

And the correct answer was "The Moops."

Dice:
Yep. A six sided die.

Purple and Orange?:
Orange? Yes. (That's history, IIRC. Meh. Sports and Leisure. My bad.) Purple? Sometimes. In recent editions purple takes the place of the brown slice.

Awards & Stuff:
1990 Mensa Select
1986 Årets Spel, Winner, Best Family Game
Games Magazine Hall of Fame Inductee.

Related Games that Received Votes:

Related Games that Didn't Receive Votes:

Hey! It's an Amazon link with the price! $31.81

Next Turn:
Whoa. Deja vu.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
# 2: Chess

194 Points (On 11 of 14 lists)
Highest Vote: (#1 by CJones, Kete & Tripe)

Publication Date: Approx 1475 with earlier versions from the 6th century

Number of Players: 2

Designed by: Unknown

Publisher: Public Domain

Description:
Chess is a two-player board game played on a chessboard, a square checkered board with 64 squares arranged in an eight-by-eight grid. It is one of the world's most popular games, played by millions of people worldwide at home, in clubs, online, by correspondence, and in tournaments.

Each player begins the game with sixteen pieces: one king, one queen, two rooks, two knights, two bishops, and eight pawns. Each of the six piece types moves differently. Pieces are used to attack and capture the opponent's pieces, with the object of the game being to 'checkmate' the opponent's king by placing it under an inescapable threat of capture. In addition to checkmate, the game can be won by the voluntary resignation of one's opponent, which typically occurs when too much material is lost, or if checkmate appears unavoidable. A game may also result in a draw in several ways, where neither player wins. The course of the game is divided into three phases: the beginning of the game is called the opening (with the development of pieces); the opening yields to the phase called the middlegame; the last phase is the endgame, generally characterized by the disappearance of queens.

Hey, How Do I Win This?
By forcing the opponent's king into checkmate.

Fun Gaming Facts:
The pieces used in chess have evolved throughout the years. The Indian precursor to Chess used infantry, cavalry, elephants and chariots in place of pawns, knights, bishops and rooks respectively. There are also allegations that bishops were originally "ships" and their names were changed after the clergy objected to the lack of God-related items in the game. However, that may be just an urban legend.

There are numerous fictional versions of chess: Wizard's Chess from the Harry Potter novels, 3-d Chess from Star Trek, Stealth Chess from Discworld, and a future version in Schlock Mercenary where Cthulhu is now a standard piece.

Chess is one of the few games that has had a ballet based on it, called Checkmate.

Numerous variants have been created that involve adding more than 2 players and/or a second or third playing board.

Chess is also one of the most customized games out there. Chess sets exist with both sides represented by Civil War soldiers, Mario, The Simpsons, Pirates of the Caribbean, Nascar, Star Trek, Star Wars, Texas, The Beatles, Transformers, circuit board pieces, Jack Daniels, fossils, Hello Kitty, Legos, Keys, Macs vs. Pcs, Muppets, Kingdom Hearts, and even a variant where the pieces are made of ice.

Dice:
None.

Purple and Orange?:
No, unless you have a very, very odd set. Like this pink and white one.

Awards & Stuff:
None. Not even a single Spiel des Jahres award over the centuries.

Checkers for the board, Go and Candyland for the strategic options.

Knightmare Chess, a variant that allows players to play cards to alter game play.

Hey! It's an Amazon link with the price! Oh, have a nice wood set for $16.30

Next Turn:
Our top ranked game!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Oh hey, an MST3k reference.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZovoKgYxsE?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RZovoKgYxsE?version=3&amp;</a>

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »
Something actually beat Chess?! I can only think of one thing that could be...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »
# 1: Monopoly

208 Points (On 11 of 14 lists)
Highest Vote: (#1 by Mrs. Dick Courier)

Publication Date: 1933

Number of Players: 2-8

Designed by: Charles Darrow, George S. Parker, Elizabeth J. Magie Philips

Publisher: Parker Brothers

Description:
The classic real estate game. Buy properties, build houses and hotels, collect rent from fellow players. Repeat as necessary until everyone else is bankrupt.

In the USA in 1933, Charles Darrow devised Monopoly. The patent was filed 31st August 1935 while the game was on sale in America. Based on an earlier game, The Landlord's Game, it was at first rejected by Parker Bros., as being too complicated to be a success. How wrong could they be! It came to the UK in 1936, made under license by Waddingtons. Darrow died in 1967 having realized he had developed one of the most successful board games of all times. It was awarded as Game of the Century by the TRA (Toy Retailers Association).

Monopoly was patented in 1935 by Charles Darrow and released by Parker Brothers. The game was actually one of a number of variants in existence at the time, all of which date back to an earlier, 1904 game by Elizabeth J. Magie, called The Landlord's Game. Magie was a proponent of the Single Tax put forth by famous author Henry George. The game was designed to show how the Single Tax would work - players could choose to play under regular rules or alternate "Single Tax" rules.

The game didn't really go anywhere and Magie lost interest in it. Variations of the game evolved, however, and homemade versions traveled up and down the Atlantic coast and even as far west as Michigan and Texas, being developed all along the way. Eventually the game was noticed by Charles Darrow who introduced it to the world in its current form.

Hey, How Do I Win This?
Be the last player with any money.

Fun Gaming Facts:
The spaces on the board are all based on locations in Atlantic City.

In 1941, the British Secret Service had John Waddington Ltd., the licensed manufacturer of the game outside the U.S., create a special edition for World War II prisoners of war held by the Nazis. Hidden inside these games were maps, compasses, real money, and other objects useful for escaping. They were distributed to prisoners by secret service-created fake charity groups

Early versions of the game all contained $15,140 in currency. In editions released after 2008, the game contains $20,580 instead as the quantity of certain bills were changed.

The pieces in the game: Wheelbarrow, Battleship, sack of money, man on horseback, racecar, Train, thimble, howitzer, shoe, dog, iron, top hat, and in Oz, a koala. Retired pieces include a rocking horse, purse and lantern.

In 2000, FAO Schwartz produced a "One of a Kind Monopoly"  which sold for $100,000. (In real money, not monopoly money.) The pieces, houses and hotels are made of gold, the board is rosewood, the street names are in gold leaf, rubies, sapphires and emeralds are all used on the board. Oh, and the game included real cash instead of Monopoly money.

Hasbro states that the longest game of Monopoly ever played lasted 1,680 hours (70 days or 10 weeks or 2⅓ months).

Monopoly was banned in the USSR until 1987.

Two game shows have been spawned from Monopoly. As has the McDonalds Monopoly game. (Which these days is run by Albertsons, I think.)

Last month, a Kickstarter project was "The Doom That Came to Atlantic City" which was a boardgame that mixed Monopoly with Cthulhu. It was successfully funded.

Many inversions of Monopoly exist- Anti-Monopoly, where players try to break apart a monopolized city, The Mad Magazine Game, where  players try to be the first to lose all their money and Go For Broke, where players were also trying to lose all their money.

Licensed versions include Kissopoly, Word of Warcraft, Simpsons, Disney, the Office, Nascar, NFL, The Godftaher, the Beatles, Klingon , Spongebob, Batman, Bass Lakes Fishing, Best Buy, BBK Clinical Research, Duel Monsters, Coke, Futurama, Justice League, Muppets, Mayberry, American Idol, QVC, Treehouse of Horror, Seinfeld, Star Trek, Transformers, the Wizard of Oz and many American cities and states.

And yes, of course, Hello Kitty.

Dice:
Yes! Two six sided dice. Recent edition also include a third "speed die."

Purple and Orange?:
Yes. While all the pieces are silver (or gold), several of the properties are purple (Baltic and Atlantic) or Orange (The New York Ave set.)

Awards & Stuff:
Games Magazine Hall of Fame.

Solarquest, which combines Monopoly with blowing stuff up with lasers.

Hey! It's an Amazon link with the price! $21.49

Next Turn:
None! It's over! Final thoughts in a sec.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
Oh, and I didn't include it above, but Monopoly: Game of thrones edition.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
And now a quick list of games that unfortunately didn't make the list:

Nuke Norway Now!
Christians & Lions
NATO, Nukes and Nazis
My Little Pony: Hide and Seek
I Think You Think I Think
Banana Slap
Zombie in My Pocket
Die Roll
Kittens in a Blender
We Didn't Playtest This At All
Huhuuh
Play the Game
What's That On My Head?
Give Me the Brain
The Sinking of the Titanic
and , of course,

Only one of those is not a real game, BTW.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
Wait, wasn't Chess mentioned earlier?  I swear I saw that picture from the Bergman movie.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Well here was my list.

• Guess Who
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Fireball Island
  • Monopoly
  • Life
  • Battleship
  • Operation
  • Connect Four
  • Risk
  • Hungry Hungry Hippos
  • Simon
  • Clue
  • Chess
  • Perfection
  • Topple
  • Tribond
  • Zobmondo
  • Sorry
  • Poker
  • Go Fish
  • Bingo
  • Scrabble
  • Solitaire
  • Checkers
  • War

Offline CJones

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »
Here's my list

1 Chess
2 Poker

3 Survive! (I'm very disappointed this didn't make it. It's been reprinted since my childhood as Survive: Escape from Atlantis)
4 Mastermind
5 Settlers of Catan

6 Focus, also known as Domination. (A severely under appreciated game. This did win a Spiel des Jahres. I think it was for 1981)
7 Pitch, also known as Setback (I only ever played Cutthoat Pitch, but I know there's a partners version too, similar to Bridge. My Grandmother taught me how to play it)
8 Risk
9 Go
10 Scrabble
11 Chinese Checkers
12 Uno
13 Reversi, also known as Othello

14 Axis & Allies (I'm amazed this didn't make it)
15 Mille Bornes (I'm amazed this DID make it)
16 Mystery Mansion
17 Connect Four
18 Strata 5
19 Gin Rummy
20 Magic: The Gathering
21 Stratego
22 Monopoly
23 Trivial Pursuit
24 Clue
25 Sorry

Honorable mentions:

Fireball Island (yes I do own this)
Backgammon
Parcheesi
Checkers
Dominos
Battleship
Zaxxon
Dukes of Hazzard
Yahtze
Uncle Wiggly
Chutes and Ladders
Tarot
Dungeons & Dragons
Bridge (I would like to have included this, but I've never made heads or tails of Bridge)
HanaFuda (I've been meaning to learn this game.)

I've got two Monopoly sets. One ancient one with wooden pieces, that belonged to my grandmother. And another slightly more modern one with the classic pewter pieces (in actual pewter) that belonged to my father's little sister.. I suck at Monopoly, but my sister's husband's father, who's a natural businessman, kicks ass at the game.

EDIT: I had both Perfection and Simon and I didn't think of either of them.  >:(

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
My list:

1. Trivial Pursuit
2. The Game of Life
3. Chess
4. Monopoly
5. Mille Bornes

6. Smess: The Ninny's Chess
7. Battleship
8. Operation
9. Boggle
10. Hungry Hungry Hippos
11. Scrabble
12. Fireball Island
13. Mouse Trap
14. Chutes and Ladders

15. Jenga
16. Carcassonne
17. Yahtzee
18. Clue
19. Guess Who
20. Candy Land

21. Simon
22. Pente
23. Othello
24. Checkers
25. Trouble

I must have excellent taste in Board Games. :^) Pente is practically Othello, and Simon straddles the boundaries of "Board Game," and nobody's ever heard of Smess. (MAYBE they know it as "All the King's Men" but Smess is the cooler version) so I'm not surprised they didn't make it. No love for Jenga, though?

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4512
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
I considered working on a list, but forgot about it until it had already started.

Offline CJones

« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
I considered working on a list, but forgot about it until it had already started.

Which is a shame. This is one I really looked forward to, and I had absolutely no trouble filling up my list. And it was still very good (Thank you to Compound   :clap:  :clap: Great job!)  But when I saw only 14 people submitted lists, I was a little disappointed.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4512
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
# 2: Chess
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZD0Z0CwRDJw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZD0Z0CwRDJw</a>
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:56:08 PM by The Lurker »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
Nice list. Good job Compund!