login

Author Topic: Adventure Time  (Read 12120 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3899
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: Adventure Time
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
Watched Reign of Gunters.  Am I wrong in assuming that Jay T. Dawgzone is a pseudoname for Jake?  If so, congrats to Jake for getting published.  Probably a bad sign if the Ice King is a fan of your work, though.

Also, shouldn't Jake be hanging out with Lady Rainicorn more often?  It's been months!

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
I like a little over half the episodes. Sometimes they are bit too...random (or odd like Jiggler episode). But the good ones are rather good, so I can put up with the ones that aren't so great to me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
I Remember You

How great was this episode?  Not only did we get to see some interaction between characters who we've never seen interact on the show to my recollection, we find out they have a sweet tragic, complicated history.  I've never seen a kid's cartoon deal with what it's like to have a relative who's mentally ill, so in that respect it's pretty effective stuff, touching on the frustration of no longer being able to make certain connection.  Plus, it surprisingly ties into the series overall mythology very well.  But I think even without the mythology, it's about missing someone who's only half gone-away.

BTW, anyone read the article about Simon Pertikov?  Great stuff.

Also, Jay T. Dawgzone's advice strikes again.  OK, seriously, well all agree that this is Jake, right?

Next week the season ends!

Of course, this almost means nothing since the next season begins airing the following month (seriously, the show's only 2 years old and season five is about to begin!).  Apparently that's where Jake and Rainicorn's pups will finally get born!  Oh, and a second Fionna and Cake episode (personally, I think they should have kept it as a one-off and gone in different directions, but it seems like a nice treat for the fans) with Donald Glover as Marshall Lee, the Vampire... King.  Doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »
The Lich

Holy crud, that episode was amazing!  It also had a cliffhanger that was completely bizonkers, even for Adventure Time.  Can't wait to see where they go from here.  Luckily, season 5 (!) is only 3 weeks away.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
Me likey!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
Finally watched the season premiere.  Fantastically dark episode that answers questions, raises more but never loses focus.  I love that the second act alternates between being insanely dark and out-and-out wacky.  Plus M Emmet Walsh is the Cosmic Owl.  I love alternate reality stories and I love that this one takes a look at what if for a show with so many mysteries.  However, I don't think we'll ever find out why Finn doesn't have a nose... but it's the Lich's fault!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
I think this video did a good job at capturing what makes Adventure Time as popular and as great as it is.  I find the multi-media aspect a bit annoying, but I think it's a very well-written piece.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7MVvkqbXiws#!" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7MVvkqbXiws#!</a>

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »
I want a musical episode (Love @ 40 secs and on):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1AlCxMo6wk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/n1AlCxMo6wk</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:42:10 PM by iv3rdawG »
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
The show has enough music in it that I don't think I'd notice if a musical episode aired.  Also, they kind of did in the episode where they started a band.

EDIT: Though this might sate your appetite.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLiQGVGdTWM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kLiQGVGdTWM</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:44:34 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
All the Little People

This is the kind of thing that sets Adventure Time apart from other shows.  It's a funny, creepy and sort of challenging episode.   Hell, the concept is brilliant: Finn gets a bag full of tiny versions of everyone he knows and begins to experiment.  It's chock full of metaphor and allegory and an underlying sense of unease and sadness.  I might put this in a list of my favourite episodes of TV.  Seriously, if you haven't seen this one, you need to check it out.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »
Adventure Time is the 29th best TV series of 2012, according to the Onion.  Take that, Treme!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
Now that the show has started up again, what does everyone think.  I found the last two episodes just OK.  Jake the Dad was surprisingly light-weight for what I expected to be an event episode, but it had a LOT of funny lines, and everything about the book "The Baby-Eating Fox and the Babies" was awesome.  Good episode, but it was just kind of weird that everything gets to go back to normal.  I mean, Jake and Lady Rainicorn had kids.  Should that change their relationship a little more?  I guess Rainicorn/Dog relationships don't work the same as people ones.

Davey was OK, but it felt better for the younger audience for the most part.  Kind of fun, but it just didn't do much for me.  Also, is Bobcat Goldthwait going to be an additional voice actor now?  His character barely did anything.  Also, who was the voice of Davey in that one?  That's driving me nuts.  At first I thought it was James Urbaniak, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2273
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »
Jake the Dad hit home with me because I'm in that EXACT phase of parenthood right now. My son (Thankfully) isn't growing up at an accelerated rate, but the central message of "Don't put too much faith in the guides. Just trust what you know." is one that's comforting to hear. :^)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3188
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 06:41:28 AM »
I think Jake the Dad was odd for what is essentially a children's show.