Author Topic: Tragedy in Aurora.  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
Re: Tragedy in Aurora.
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »
And so it begins - the first quiet, indirect murmurs of the idea of metal detectors and pat-downs at movie theaters. Maybe nothing will come of it. I hope so. But now the idea is out there, and ideas, once loosed, don't easily go back in the bottle.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
And so it begins - the first quiet, indirect murmurs of the idea of metal detectors and pat-downs at movie theaters. Maybe nothing will come of it. I hope so. But now the idea is out there, and ideas, once loosed, don't easily go back in the bottle.

I suppose it gives them an excuse to search bags & confiscate snacks.

Russell

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
I would really like to know how a guy in body armor and a GAS mask in addition to makeup on his face along with sneaking in smoke grenades and a gun didn't arouse suspicion from ANYONE?! I'm pretty sure gas masks and body armor(along with joker makeup and RED HAIR) aren't part of any cosplay that remotely has anything to do with Batman, let alone the DC universe.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:38:01 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline Nergol

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
BTW, on a related note, check out this sub-story:
http://news.yahoo.com/couple-colo-theater-shooting-escape-baby-toddler-tow-162024554--abc-news-topstories.html

He said he wondered where Ethan was but realized he could not go back to get him. Rohrs finally jumped over the balcony and ended up outside.

"It just felt like the worst thing ever because my son's still in there," he told ABC News. "My girlfriend is still in there. I'm out here. Who leaves their child there?"

He said Legarreta called him from another phone and he drove back to the theater.

So let me get this straight - this dude took his 3 month old baby to an action movie, at midnight, then lost him when the shooting started, then ditched him and the mother (who was wounded), then left the building and drove the fuck away. But hey, at least he felt bad about it later, and came back to pick them up once the gunman was safely in handcuffs.

It's sick out there and getting sicker.

MontyServo

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
I would really like to know how a guy in body armor and a GAS mask in addition to makeup on his face along with sneaking in smoke grenades and a gun didn't arouse suspicion from ANYONE?! I'm pretty sure gas masks and body armor(along with joker makeup and RED HAIR) aren't part of any cosplay that remotely has anything to do with Batman, let alone the DC universe.

I was wondering that myself, but just saw a new report that says they think he went in dressed normally, went out the emergency exit at some point before the film started (making sure to not let the door completely shut behind him) where his car was parked just outside.  Then he must have put on his attire, grabbed his weapons and came back in.

AMC theaters announced that they were banning costumes from their theaters effective immediately.  There was a few people dressed up at the screening I was at last night.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
I would really like to know how a guy in body armor and a GAS mask in addition to makeup on his face along with sneaking in smoke grenades and a gun didn't arouse suspicion from ANYONE?!

As mentioned below, Holmes walked in through the emergency exit. There's an open question on whether someone opened it for him or if he left the theater and then came back in. (There's also the question of why the theater didn't react to the door opening. Those exit doors usually have alarms that sound in the office when opened.)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
I would really like to know how a guy in body armor and a GAS mask in addition to makeup on his face along with sneaking in smoke grenades and a gun didn't arouse suspicion from ANYONE?!

As mentioned below, Holmes walked in through the emergency exit. There's an open question on whether someone opened it for him or if he left the theater and then came back in. (There's also the question of why the theater didn't react to the door opening. Those exit doors usually have alarms that sound in the office when opened.)

I don't know where you are, but in most theaters I am at in Colorado do not have alarms on those door, as they are often used for exits after the film.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
It now appears the Colorado gunman is a Ph. D student in neuroscience who went delusional and started to believe that he was the Joker:
http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-colorado-shooting-joker/

Don't take this as a personal attack, Nergol; but can we can the speculation, at least for the time-being? News organizations and political blogs are already trying to make hay of this situation, and their naked opportunism just draws attention away from the fact that a dozen people lost their lives for no good goddamn reason.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
so no one is blaming the gangster squad trailer for the events?  have to say this is sort of what i thought of immediately i wonder how quickly that trailer will be pulled.

The trailer's already officially pulled. Anyone still showing it is just behind the curve.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »

I don't know where you are, but in most theaters I am at in Colorado do not have alarms on those door, as they are often used for exits after the film.

From the reports I read, he had a ticket, went in, propped open the door slightly, then left and re-entered with gear.

...and doors like that are used as general exits in most every theater I've ever been in as well.  No alarms, they just let you walk out, or sneak other people in before the film. (as seen on The Simpsons)
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »

That's what happened at the big chains after 9/11. It didn't last.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
I've heard too that it's just a bad area for crime.

You realize that is completely irrelevant, right?   It's almost is if you are saying the victims should been expecting a mass murder because it's a "bad area"
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »

I'm speaking from personal experience from 2 years at AMCs in Denver. The emergency exits don't have audible alarms in the theater when you open them, but there was an alarm. In our case, it triggered an alarm that loudly buzzed at both concession and in the office. (And maybe the booth as well.)  It it went off at any time other than when a film was getting out, we'd be in there ASAP. We might not find whomever came in (and frankly, our managers didn't really want us confronting anyone about it) but we needed to keep the light from coming in from the not-fully closed door and most importantly shut off the incessant buzzing.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
I've heard too that it's just a bad area for crime.

You realize that is completely irrelevant, right?   It's almost is if you are saying the victims should been expecting a mass murder because it's a "bad area"
That's not what he's saying at all, in both instances in this thread when the reputation of the theatre has been brought up it's been as an explanation why an individual or group of people might have chosen a theatre other than this one to see the film, its a bit of local knowledge, it's not a judgement on the victims just background on the place where the incident occurred. So it isn't completely irrelevant at all.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
That area is wierd, there have been a couple shootings in an appartment complex nearby and the theater itself is practicly across the street from a god damn ADT security monitoring center.  It should be a pretty safe area.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.