login

Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 76610 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6252
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
I wish they would do more of the High School Musicals.

I am surprised that they haven't done more of them. Wasn't High School Musical one of their big sellers?

Sadly, not at all.
Really? Damn. I would have thought that would have been another Twilight type sucess.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:16 PM »

I am surprised that they haven't done more of them. Wasn't High School Musical one of their big sellers?

Sadly, not at all.
Really? Damn. I would have thought that would have been another Twilight type sucess.

I hoped so too. Think it speaks to how massively popular Twilight is, it's in a league of its own.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

Sadly, not at all.

As someone who was a long holdout, I should say I understand. After finding out it was one of the best (if not *the* best) of the year, I checked it out, and now I'm all "How could that NOT be a best seller!?" Goes to prove Marketing 101, sometimes it's more about selling the product and not the product itself.

Having said that, whatever comes Septavengmber I am very much looking forward to it (even if it's *not* The Avengers).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:05:55 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
We will have an MP3 out soon, probably at the end of September.

That's good news, but an awfully long time to wait. Will we have to wait another 6 months for the next MP3 afterwards? (not trying to be rude, just trying to get the point across that it has been WAY too long since we had one)

We just decided to do the movie today. It has to be written and edited, and in the name of efficiency, we have to do more than one title when Kevin and Bill travel to San Diego, so we have to plan a release date a couple of weeks from when we decide to do it.

I agree that we're overdue for a recent movie, but has there really been that much to complain about? From my perspective the process and end product of a RiffTrax has remained virtually identical over the past year; there's just a shitload less shakey-cam.

If we could pick any MP3 and release it, that would be great. That's what's great about VODs, it's an easy decision for people to make and we can pick great movies you've never heard of. But it's very depressing, and a waste of our energy and resources, to put out something awesome like Karate Kid III that (really, you must believe me on this since I have no reason to lie to you), hardly anybody at all was interested in. Early/late summer "blockbusters" like Battleship or Rise of the Planet of the Apes would/did unfortunately fall into this category too.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2895
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
It really is miserable that so many of the best riffs are the lowest sellers. :(
FINE

Danecho1967

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:41 PM »
I agree that we're overdue for a recent movie, but has there really been that much to complain about? From my perspective the process and end product of a RiffTrax has remained virtually identical over the past year; there's just a shitload less shakey-cam.

If we could pick any MP3 and release it, that would be great. That's what's great about VODs, it's an easy decision for people to make and we can pick great movies you've never heard of.
I hate to beat a dead horse, here, but what I have enjoyed about Rifftrax since I discovered it is that you guys were riffing on movies that I had heard of.
But it's very depressing, and a waste of our energy and resources, to put out something awesome like Karate Kid III that (really, you must believe me on this since I have no reason to lie to you), hardly anybody at all was interested in. Early/late summer "blockbusters" like Battleship or Rise of the Planet of the Apes would/did unfortunately fall into this category too.
I (grudgingly) understand.  I guess it's time to give up my dream of an "On Deadly Ground" riff.   :'(  And I don't think we'll all still be around with "Dollman" finally falls into the public domain...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
Seems like Hunger Games has a bit of that Twilight magic going on, though...

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 322
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
Let me throw in a word for High School Musical. It is a brilliant riff and in my top ten. I would love to see more from that series and the occasional oddball choice for an MP3.

Let me also add, for Conor and the guys, isn't it worth it once and a while to do something that might not make much money but, in the long term, will/might become a "cult" favorite among rifftrax followers, thus eventually making some money and helping spread the word? Did the MST version of Manos bring higher ratings when it was initially aired on Comedy Central? Probably not, I'm guessing.
Now it's a "cottage industry."
Think about it, won't you?

P.S. I think I'm already on record here for much much preferring VODs to "shakey-cam" new stuff.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:06:07 PM by losingmydignity »

Danecho1967

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »
Let me throw in a word for High School Musical. It is a brilliant riff and in my top ten. I would love to see more from that series and the occasional oddball choice for an MP3.

Let me also add, for Conor and the guys, isn't it worth it once and a while to do something that might not make much money but, in the long term, will/might become a "cult" favorite among rifftrax followers, thus eventually making some money and helping spread the word? Did the MST version of Manos bring higher ratings when it was initially aired on Comedy Central? Probably not, I'm guessing.
Now it's a "cottage industry."
Think about it, won't you?

P.S. I think I'm already on record here for much much preferring VODs to "shakey-cam" new stuff.
I know the shakycam stuff is unpopular here, but I really liked the Cloverfield Riff.  I enjoy it more every time I watch it.

Oh, and ditto (I agree) about everything else you said here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:15:27 PM by Dan - Echo »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1377
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
I've REALLY enjoyed the VODs as to me the 'Blockbuster' riffs had been stale for a long time thanks to doing franchises or just 'go to' jokes that seemed to show up in every riff.  The VODs have mostly been free of any sign of that and has really rejuvenated my interest in the official product (besides Rifftrax presents which I'd continue to buy) so I'm hoping it refreshes the writing too!

Plus I plan on getting the DVDs of Hunger Games and Avengers anyway so that's handy
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
If it's the big recent blockbusters that people already have the DVDs for that sell the best, why didn't they do Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk?

And speaking of business decisions, any more thought on the future (if there is much of one) of Rifftrax Presents? Maybe bringing in some of the A-list iRiff groups to do one? Give variety to the catalog, less work directly by Mike, Kevin, Bill and the regular staff, and promotes iRiffs that are also being sold on the website.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1377
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
Yeah, I did think that having another try at the 'fan riff' thing could be good.  We could even submit our scripts to 2-4 board appointed editors who'd compile their own version of the best script each which would make it easier for the Rifftrax team to work though.

However if you're looking for more cult-ish riffs I suggest you check out one of Cole and Janet's riffs, I'm sure you'll enjoy it (or, y'know one of the many, many iRiffs)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
I still need to get the new Flatliners riff they did. But they and Mathew Elliot are all that's left, and they are few and FAR between. I am glad they got rid of Blame Society, though.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
I've REALLY enjoyed the VODs as to me the 'Blockbuster' riffs had been stale for a long time thanks to doing franchises or just 'go to' jokes that seemed to show up in every riff.  The VODs have mostly been free of any sign of that and has really rejuvenated my interest in the official product (besides Rifftrax presents which I'd continue to buy) so I'm hoping it refreshes the writing too!

Plus I plan on getting the DVDs of Hunger Games and Avengers anyway so that's handy

Pretty much this. I don't want to say that I want them to walk the same line that MST3K did, as they have a pretty solid track record with the big budget movies... But as a general rule, it seems tough to beat the riff fuel provided by the z-movies... whether stuff like Ice Cream Bunny or Planet of the Dinosaurs that's 40 years old, or stuff like The Room and Birdemic that are basically brand spankin new... The laughably bad movies just get me into the riffing mood better then something like Ironman or Captain America ever could... I think you are way out ahead of the game when the movie does some of the heavy lifting for you.

Also, I am really quite bummed that Karate Kid 3 was such a poor seller. Back when the whole iRiff thing was first announced, KK3 was going to be the movie that I riffed. Terry Silver is easily my favorite over-the-top movie bad guy of all time... without a single riff, every second of his screen time ooozes unintentional comedy. Of course my iRiff never happened, but the Rifftrax crew did a pretty respectable job of picking up the ball for me. :)

The budget around the Nunyer house has been a bit tight the last couple years, and I only periodically buy product... Would anybody care to recommend two of three of the Rifftrax Presents titles? I've always meant to sample of few of them but never got around to it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
I know I have been vocally annoyed by what I call "lack of variety" but I'll throw my 2 cents in again anyways!!! :D

My personal preferences seem to be conflicted, sorta...  I really miss the MP3 riffs, but I really don't miss the CHOICES they had been making for the MP3 riffs.  If that doesn't make sense, then I'll graph it:

BAD big-budget movie  >  VOD  >  GOOD big-budget movie  >  yet another part of a series they've already done in MP3

I'd much rather watch an MP3 riff for some horrid movie that somehow ended up with a huge studio $$$$ backing despite being a heaping pile of shit (ie Battleship, GI Joe, The Raven.... basically, any of the random "How the hell did they think this was worth that much money?!?!?" movies) than ANY movie sequel they have already touched on (EVEN Harry Potter, although I think that's their strongest "series" so far.)

A more in-depth break-down of that last paragraph:

I could easily do without the past few Twilight movies, the last 3 Star Wars movies, a few of the Star Trek films, 2 of the X-Men movies, etc.....   I'd be happy if they never did ANY sequels to any of the movies they had done a riff on.  The jokes and riffs and even the FEEL of the riffs tend to just feel weary and "Well, it was expected of us, so we had to do it...."

The GOOD big-budget films are a step above that.  I have no desire to see The Avengers riffed, and I prefer Captain America without the riff...  I enjoyed Fellowship of The Ring but the last 2 suffered from the last paragraph a bit (the sequel thing).  I like riffs on GOOD movies only a bit more than re-hashed riffs on sequels.

I have loved EVERY vod I've obtained (still waiting on payday for the most recent 2).  LOVED them!!  For the most part, it really just feels like the guys are enjoying themselves a lot more than they have in years, which is why I can't complain about there BEING vod releases of bad low-budget stinkers.  The riffs feel fresh and up-beat.

That's actually the OPPOSITE of how every sequel riff has felt... Those tend to have the "Ugh, we're so tired of this franchise" feel about it, which always makes me wonder why they even bother.  (I KNOW they will release the last Twilight riff, but I can't figure out WHY except for money.... They must be tired of the series; I know *I* am....)

A step ABOVE the VOD's for me are the REEEEEEEALLY bad movies (B-movie bad) that somehow gained the gigantic studio money backing.  They don't do those anymore.  Most of those I've never even SEEN the movie, because I wasn't going to bother until there was a riff.... but as SOON as a riff would be released, I'll watch them.  Unfortunately, SOOOO many of those have come and gone with no riff.  I STILL haven't seen GI Joe.... Waiting for the riff.  It seems like an obvious choice to me.  But no.  I guess it wouldn't make money, so tough titties for me.  (Not missing anything tho by never having seen it.)

If Hunger Games or Battleship doesn't get a riff though, I'll actually be kind of annoyed.  From what I heard, read, and understood from the very START of Rifftrax, movies like those are the POINT of Rifftrax.  They're why it was started.  They're why I was ever excited about it.  They're what fans of Rifftrax think of when they think of Rifftrax.  "Battleship?! That looks retarded. There should be a riff for that."

Understandably, the general population doesn't want to "waste" money on the movie for a riff though.... So we're stuck with more Twilight and The Avengers (for some reason).  I'm wondering if a poll would be helpful though.  A "Which of these bad blockbusters would you like to see riffed most?" on the home page and then the winner gets riffed... and if it doesn't sell well DESPITE getting the most votes.... Well then us fans have to eat crow ... or pigeon... or whatever bird... because you proved us massively wrong.

I am not sure if I even have a point in this post anymore, so I'll just stop rambling.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.