login

Author Topic: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????  (Read 72174 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Where are the blockbuster movie riffs????
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
Our only hope, then, is for a Bad, Big-Budget movie that everyone THINKS is good and worth buying. Hence, Twilight.
Another route might be to figure out which movies people likely already have in their collections.  Raise your hands, folks, if you have one or more of the following movies in your personal collection:
Speed
Total Recall
Eraser
Tremors
Stargate
Aliens
Terminator 2
Gone In 60 Seconds
The Italian Job
National Treasure (1 or 2)
Any Stephen Segal Movie
Any Jean Claude Van Damme Movie
Ladyhawke
Days of Thunder
Rocky IV

Most can be found for a bargain, but let's be honest, most movie fans have these movies sitting, collecting dust, on their shelves anyway.

Personally, I own 13 of those titles. More if I start individually counting Segal and Van Damme films.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2012, 11:19:14 PM »
I've got 7 of the named ones.
1 Seagal movie: Under Siege (that would make a great riff).
Don't seem to have any Van Damme movies on my shelves.

Danecho1967

« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2012, 12:32:58 AM »
I've got 7 of the named ones.
1 Seagal movie: Under Siege (that would make a great riff).
Don't seem to have any Van Damme movies on my shelves.
Under Seige would be awesome, but On Deadly Ground is one of my dream riffs.  It's so amazingly bad, but you can't stop watching it.

Kickboxer is my dream JCVD movie to be riffed.  I busted out laughing at it when I first saw it: really close to the end, he blocks a punch for the first time in the movie.  I was like, "hey, might have been a good idea to start doing that before he kicked your ass and nearly blinded you."

Ladyhawke would be so good too.  I actually recommend it unriffed, just to get a sense of how silly it is, but, with the exception of Matthew Broderick's misguided "comic relief" it kind of takes itself seriously as a movie.  And, of course, there's the Allen Parsons Project "soundtrack" which is just the same 15 seconds of music played over and over.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2012, 02:32:19 AM »
I'm another person who resisted buying the High School Musical riff for a long time and now its my favorite riff ever.  Now I wish myself and others had bought it right away so that they'd be motivated to do more of them.

Which is the solution here.  We want them to release more mp3 riffs?  Start talking people we know into buying some.  That's the only thing that's going to make a difference.  The people who actually make the decisions barely notice this forum, if at all.  Especially because the people who post here are but a fraction of the number of people who buy product at this website.  So the only thing that will affect change is a change in sales.  Of course, the odds of us talking enough people into buying enough to actually make a difference are about as good as Lindsay Lohan being accepted into the Big Sister mentoring program, but its better than our only recourse being bitching on this board.

But the bottom line is over the past six months I've found other ways to entertain myself.  I was already sick of the crappy movie VODs before this endless run of them this year and I only buy shorts when I buy mp3s so I haven't made a purchase here since Feb and after the first couple months I stopped checking regularly and when I did swing by it was only long enough to see it was business as usual.  They haven't missed my money and I'm getting to where I don't miss the new riffs as I find other things to watch.  For instance, I discovered the wonderful series Hell On Wheels because I was looking for something to do.

So it's not a big deal either way.  Some people will stop coming by because they're not getting what they want, and more people will come by more often because they like the New Rifftrax.  The world keeps turning, the crow keeps saying "Nevermore!" and we continue to hail Compound's mohawk. It's all good.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2012, 04:03:27 AM »
I'm lucky if I can just rip the DVD in that time, let alone all the other stuff.

did you ever get around to trying garageband?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »
I'm lucky if I can just rip the DVD in that time, let alone all the other stuff.

That's what I use if I just want to do a quick reauthor.

Handbrake, GarageBand. Done.

Super quick. Longest part is the export from GarageBand.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2012, 05:45:38 AM »
yeah, on my c. 2007 macbook pro, it took about a half hour to rip the disc, then an hour or so to export the final video.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Wernski

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:23 AM »

No, there hasn't been an mp3 release since then... But I've got GB ready to go the next time one comes out.  Fingers crossed.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2012, 04:27:36 AM »
Let's go back to talking about my idea
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2012, 04:34:40 AM »

i don't remember your idea. was it boobs? i'm going to assume it was boobs.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3895
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »
Bewbs :P

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2012, 08:03:04 AM »

i don't remember your idea. was it boobs? i'm going to assume it was boobs.

I'm pretty sure it was about boobs, but I don't have the best mammary around.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
Has there been any thought of expanding the Rifftrax Presents?  That would be one way to get more blockbusters riffed.  There is plenty of talent out there (podcasters like those on Earwolf or Nerdist Industries or internet critics - I saw that spoony's Dune iRiff broke the top sales list when it was released).  And maybe the more people you give at shot the greater the chance something will catch on with people who wouldn't normally buy Rifftrax.

Offline mairsil

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 16
    • PouncingKitten Games
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »
Has there been any thought of expanding the Rifftrax Presents?  That would be one way to get more blockbusters riffed.  There is plenty of talent out there (podcasters like those on Earwolf or Nerdist Industries or internet critics - I saw that spoony's Dune iRiff broke the top sales list when it was released).  And maybe the more people you give at shot the greater the chance something will catch on with people who wouldn't normally buy Rifftrax.

I'm sure that this would be fine for some people (I do wonder how popular the iRiffs are), but this just isn't a solution for some of us. I'm not saying that other people can't be funny, but I'm here for the MKB trio.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »

I'm sure that this would be fine for some people (I do wonder how popular the iRiffs are), but this just isn't a solution for some of us. I'm not saying that other people can't be funny, but I'm here for the MKB trio.

Try broadening your horizons, there is more than one way to riff on a movie.  There are many great Rifftrax Presents and iRiffs out there already to enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:26:00 PM by Artie »
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com