login

Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 43496 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2012, 01:26:54 PM »
Well I nominated The Joshua Tree because it is an important album, it spawned at least three mega hits, it's influential and it's one of the best selling albums of all time.

You're too late with your reason!!! :P

Yeah, my choices tend to be things that, if I heard that someone had never heard that album, I'd respond with "Holy crap!! Have you been living under a rock?!? And you say you like music...." despite if I personally actually LIKE the band/album at all.  Sometimes (like in the case of Syd Barrett), I throw in an album that people mostly WOULDN'T be aware of, despite it actually having a huge influence on many of the artists they DO know of.

For instance, I'll probably nominate a specific Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album at some point... or Bauhaus (the FIRST band to be called "gothic" despite their argument that the title didn't fit them) ... and most like Porcupine Tree simply because nearly every other band in existence are huge fans of them themselves, yet they are relatively unknown to non-musicians.

Just several examples of reasons to nominate an album.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7105
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
you people take this way too seriously. i think i'm gonna delete my account the whole of the internet because of this thread.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »
Yes, I, a hooded cow, take things too seriously.  It's why they made me a global moderator, and now everyone will be banned.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
Because of the condition I'm in, I ended up writing far more than intended.  So I hacked out paragraphs that seemed less directly relevant, hoping more people would read what was left.  [But, of course, frying my brain further in the process: my choice, as I'd rather expend more effort and have people actually read it, than use less energy and have everyone skip it or barely skim it.]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some people are going to vote without reading the justifications anyway. I would also think that people who are interested enough to read the justifications are probably more likely to consider a vote change as well. Clearly, there are more people voting than taking the time to nominate and write about their nominations. And that's perfectly fine; some people just want to vote. It's nice that people are participating. Those of us interested in doing some listening and discussing can go ahead and do that. Like I said, I don't really care what ends up on the final list; I care about this being a fun and interesting activity.

I will definitely add the language regarding importance and "why" to the poll description.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
Well I nominated The Joshua Tree because it is an important album, it spawned at least three mega hits, it's influential and it's one of the best selling albums of all time.

I listened to The Joshua Tree last night, and I was reminded of the fact that I don't much care for it. Outside of their very early stuff, I don't care much the band. I find The Joshua Tree sort of boring and plodding.

I was also reminded that I don't much like Doolittle.

I couldn't deal with Reconstruction Site by The Weakerthans. I kinda liked the song Quirk posted, but after a while, I grew tired of the whole indie vibe. And I like some music classified as "indie," but mainly the stuff with some real power and energy.

I haven't heard Synchronicity in years. It was cool to listen to the whole thing all the way through again. I love that album.

I didn't vote for Pet Sounds because of reasons.

I voted for Synchronicity, Elvis, and Unorthodox Behavior.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
Unless anyone objects, I'm gonna post like sixty-five times in a row.  :D

Round four winners are as follows:

Elvis - Elvis Presley
Synchronicity - The Police
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Doolittle - Pixies

We need two more nominations for the next round.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7105
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »
i nominate the clash - london calling. it is an album that everyone must listen to. i will post samples if requested.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
Before I go to sleep, I guess I'll nominate Weird Al Yankovic's Off The Deep End  I'll post stuff about it when I wake up and get rid of the dang migraine. :)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
For the upcoming round I nominate Michael Jackson's Thriller

My first ever album, and still one of my favorites
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some people are going to vote without reading the justifications anyway. I would also think that people who are interested enough to read the justifications are probably more likely to consider a vote change as well. Clearly, there are more people voting than taking the time to nominate and write about their nominations. And that's perfectly fine; some people just want to vote. It's nice that people are participating.

I will definitely add the language regarding importance and "why" to the poll description.

Just to be clear: I 'Liked' this post before reading the final sentence... I was basically agreeing with the "Those of us interested in doing some listening and discussing can go ahead and do that. Like I said, I don't really care what ends up on the final list; I care about this being a fun and interesting activity."  [Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that you'll add something to the poll instructions, but that wasn't what I was 'like'ing.]

Head injury slowness here... it took me this long to mentally compare this thread to the way some extensive therapy is considered.  In that, it is the journey of exploration of the psyche, rather than a 'result' that is of value.  [Possibly 'attending to the therapeutic process' was of minimal interest to me as a therapist because dealing mostly with trauma survivors the 'how' was so much less important than getting emotional/symptom relief for the people coming to my office.  Obviously there's no such pressure (or at least shouldn't be) with this list. :P]

I do actually think part of my frustration is that so few people are bothering to give any reason at all for what they nominate, it seemed those of us who care about learning about music that we may not have experienced before didn't have as many opportunities to do so.  But, again, you are right: those of us who are using the thread in the way it was conceived can share and learn between us, with those who don't discuss the music being basically irrelevant in that regard.  'Quality' vs. 'quantity'.  [And, with me using the energy I did writing all of what I did today about the 'rules', I've effectively lowered the 'quality' of what I could discuss about music itself.  >:(]

[[That ties directly into something from this last week that I'd excised from the earlier post.  But since it isn't thread-relevant, I've moved that and additional comments to the RRRAAARRGGGHHH! thread.]]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
Okay, I have a simple reason for nominating Weird Al Yankovic's Off The Deep End album (over any of his others).... and while it may not have been the first comedy parody album, or even HIS first... or even his best.... it was still the first one that violently threw the comedic parody album into the light of the general public.

Up until that point, people generally knew who he was and what he did, but many people (ie the non-fans) still regarded his music and writing as "stupid" or just "Oh well anyone can just change the lyrics to a song", and the actual fan base was merely regarded as nerds and goof-offs.  It was a kitschy, very pigeon-holed fan base.

Then Off The Deep End came out, with the obvious single of "Smells Like Nirvana" and suddenly EVERYONE wanted to buy his albums.  Call me biased, but I did notice many more people admitting and realizing just how creative he was.... and that album is the turning point of where people who never would have ever bought a comedy music album suddenly started accepting this stuff as genius.

That, and it's just a great album!!!  I have everything he's ever recorded (and I do mean even the rare crap), and if I had to introduce someone new to him I'd pick that one album.  It has one of his best and most enjoyable polkas, the aforementioned Nirvana parody, a Beach Boys style parody, Milli Vanilli parody, MC Hammer parody... it even has a hidden track parodying Nirvana's hidden track.  And the cover of the album... I am sure that's the most well-known all around.

So yeah, Off The Deep End.

Russell

« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
I haven't heard Synchronicity in years. It was cool to listen to the whole thing all the way through again. I love that album.
WTG Barnes! :D *high five*

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
Before I go to sleep, I guess I'll nominate Weird Al Yankovic's Off The Deep End  I'll post stuff about it when I wake up and get rid of the dang migraine. :)

I would have gone with Even Worse, but that's a good one too.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:09 PM »

I would have gone with Even Worse, but that's a good one too.

I personally think Even Worse and Off The Deep End are about tied for being his most accessible and probably best albums... but Even Worse loses a point for me for not having a polka!! :D  And OTDE really was a turning point as far as general public acceptance and awareness goes.... and I might even go as far as to claim that's when being a "nerd" started becoming cool and desirable.

Oh, and Polka Party! is my personal favourite album of his.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
I always thought that You Don't Love Me Anymore was more than a simple comedy song.

My personal favorite Al-bum (get it?!) is Running With Scissors.