login

Poll

Votes for all entries you feel are important enough to deserve a spot on the list. Don't just vote for shit because you like it, and don't just not vote for shit because you don't like it.

A Night at the Opera - Queen
10 (14.3%)
Ten - Pearl Jam
11 (15.7%)
Avalon - Roxy Music
5 (7.1%)
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7 (10%)
├ćnema - Tool
6 (8.6%)
What A Crying Shame - The Mavericks
2 (2.9%)
Life'll Kill Ya - Warren Zevon
4 (5.7%)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus
6 (8.6%)
London Calling - The Clash
11 (15.7%)
Off The Deep End - Weird Al Yakovic
8 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 19, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Author Topic: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!  (Read 43504 times)

Russell

Re: 100 Albums to Which You Have to Listen, or All Y'all Need to Hear This!!!
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
I don't know about that one. What did you have in mind? I kinda wanna stay away from albums that are just compilations.
I was thinking about the soundtrack to the film "Heavy Metal"

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
I don't know about that one. What did you have in mind? I kinda wanna stay away from albums that are just compilations.

Hmmm, I'd be inclined to say no to that one. Shouldn't we limit it to soundtracks where all of the music was originally composed for the film?

Feel free to weigh in with opinions, here.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline ig88ftw

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese

I haven't quite figured out how to post youtube videos here just yet, but key tracks include:

Jerry Was A Race Car Driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55CH_8YOBQc

American Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1F_88UksxA

Fish On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWlJdSguolY

No one can deny that Les Claypool is an amazing bass player, and he's also incredibly bizarre. ...seas of cheese contains the most well known Primus track (Jerry), while also being loaded with fan favorites like American Life, Here Come The Bastrds, Fish On, Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers, and even includes an appearance from the legendary Tom Waits (as the voice of Tommy The Cat on..."Tommy The Cat").  Not bad considering it's only their second album!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:16:56 PM by ig88ftw »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2012, 11:59:59 PM »

Hmmm, I'd be inclined to say no to that one. Shouldn't we limit it to soundtracks where all of the music was originally composed for the film?

Feel free to weigh in with opinions, here.

That's a tricky one, for example the soundtrack for The Sting is a great album, but I think only a little of it was written for the film.   Joplin's The Entertainer was reworked into a few different versions by Hamlish for the film.  I've tried listening to albums by Joplin but never found one I like as much as the soundtrack for The Sting.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:38 AM »
I think the same standard applies here as it does to best of albums; an album should count if it's an original composition. So best ofs don't qualify and nor would albums that are just compilations of music that feature in the film but would count if they're made up of the music originally written for the film. In fact the thing about whether all the tracks on an album work together would come into play here when deciding if a vote was justified; the score of a movie does follow the plot of the film ideally but some work better absent of the action better than others.

This does make me wonder, do live alums count? The element of originality there seems to be in the fact they capture an one off event (sort of). I don't know any live albums I could nominate as I don't really like live albums but I know some people do, so there might be some that are considered essential.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
Yeah, my "fine by me" wasn't regarding "various artists: songs from and inspired by" albums so much as they were scores and albums basically written specifically for the film.

Jurassic Park, for example, is a fantastic soundtrack (the first one) ....  and any Bernard Hermann score (although I also don't think any I just mentioned are "need to hear" scale.)  The Bob Dylan one up there is a perfect example of what I would consider acceptable and an actual "album" despite being a film soundtrack.  The Beatles' "Help" or "Hard Days Night" albums as well....
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4922
« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
For those who wish to 'read ahead':

Here are the links for my submission for the next list (which I nominated here: http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=25448.msg740855#msg740855).

Roxy Music started out partly as a glam-rock band, but quickly changed to what I suppose might be called an 'art-rock' band.

Their music frequently broke new ground for what might be expected from a band.  Avalon was their final album.  It is easily their most exceptional one.  It has extreme musical and emotional depth and complexity, yet is still quite accessible.

The full album is only about 35 minutes, but with the depth of the compositions, it is easy enough to get 'lost' in it and have time expand.  The progression of the music makes it a unique listening experience, so it was difficult to pick just one tune as a sample... so the full album link is first.

full album - Avalon
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ypDsyWI5Lzw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ypDsyWI5Lzw</a>

'The Main Thing' - Avalon
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/3aduXimrcGg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/3aduXimrcGg</a>
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
Are we full up in nominations yet?  If not, then I nominate Sloan - Twice Removed (though when Tripe suggested live albums, I thought of 4 Nights at the Palais Royale).

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
It seems possibly people are still voting for what they 'like' instead of what the point of the thread is.  Brand X, Unorthodox Behavior broke new ground for 'rock-accessible' fusion - when fusion was a new genre of music in its time - yet it has fewer votes than other albums which have no expressed reason for even being submitted.

Oh, and for the next poll, there are still albums whose names were submitted with no rationale for why they should be chosen.  If there is no 'reason' given, then all people will do is vote for what they like, defeating the purpose of the thread.  If someone wants a 'What Albums We Seem to Like Here, Musically' poll, then submit that as a List of Crap topic.

Just a couple thoughts since people continuing to ignore D.B.'s initial rules for the thread/poll remains an issue:
     How about not accepting nominations unless at least some nominal explanation for why it should be included is present?  [And, yes, I realize this would have prevented my last at least two nominations from being accepted as they were submitted, because I couldn't function enough to write anything at those times.]
     And then, maybe including voting criteria in the blurb on top of the poll selections?  [i.e. "This is not about what you like: this is what albums are important to music history or the direction music took after these albums.  Do not select albums merely because you enjoy listening to them, and don't not vote for albums just because you don't enjoy the musical style."]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline ig88ftw

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
If it's only supposed to be albums that revolutionized the way music is made, then it's going to be a pretty short list, and certainly nothing that's made the list thus far deserves to be there.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
If it's only supposed to be albums that revolutionized the way music is made, then it's going to be a pretty short list, and certainly nothing that's made the list thus far deserves to be there.

"revolutionized the way music is made" isn't what was said, either in my post, or the original post starting the thread (which was linked to in the post you are responding to).  It might help if you read more carefully what people say, and understood their point before posting a rebuttal.

But for "important to music history or the direction music took after these albums" (which is what I said), I think a good percent of those already 'winning' have done so (esp. Ziggy Stardust and Electric Ladyland).  Many which haven't been nominated yet have also (e.g. Sgt. Pepper's).  An album representing the pinnacle of a band who had a significant impact on music would also be considered 'important' (examples in this poll alone: Synchronicity, Pet Sounds, Joshua Tree, and presumably Elvis [I don't know his work well enough to be sure, but figure that someone who does submitted it, so it got a vote from me]).

Re-read the initial post for this thread.<sentence is link>  Before posting in ANY thread, one should read the 'ground rules' stated in the first post of that thread, but for things like this it is especially necessary.  Otherwise, one's participation in that thread is not in accordance with the Site Rules.<words are link>  [Not participating in line with the thread's topic would be a violation of rule 8.]

And D.B. - the person initiating and running this poll - 'liked' the following post from a few pages back (as did others).  That 'liking', and later discussions, demonstrated that he agreed with it.  (I don't claim any 'new ideas' in it: it basically just elaborated on the information found in his first post.)  In the part of his first post that I quote below, I have now drawn particular attention to the specifically relevant words with red and an underline.
Something that I occasionally have to remind myself of as I'm listening to some of these (especially needed for ones that don't fit my musical taste ;)) - which I thought some others might like a 'refresher' for - is the 'rules' for this list: "As with the movies poll, the goal of this thread is to generate a list of albums that should be experienced by everyone at least once in their life. The only qualification for nominating an album is that, for whatever reason, you feel it is important enough to deserve a place on a list of the top 100 must-listen-to albums of all time."

It is NOT a 'favorites' list: that's left to the 'List of Crap's.

It is not really even about what we 'like', and definitely not what would be on our personal 'Top 100' list; it is about albums that are - for whatever reason - 'important' or 'relevant'.

That is why the description of why people think an album deserves to be on this list is so important: if there is no 'justification' for a nomination, people will simply vote for things they 'like' and certain albums will be left behind that maybe shouldn't be.

On the first two polls nearly 1/2 the votes I gave were given to albums I didn't like, or wouldn't ever listen to again... but which I felt better for having heard.  I know there will be at least two on this one that I will vote for that fit that criteria also.  And there will be some nominations I make during the course of this thread for albums that I won't listen to again.

"Apologies" for the 'space filling' for this post to those who have no trouble remembering these nomination/voting criteria.  "You're welcome" to those who do. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:31:47 PM by LucasM »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
Oh man, I'm so confused. There was a bunch of back and forth about when people should post what, and nothing was really finalized.

For reference:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I don't think everybody is going to follow some super-strict set of rules, and to be honest, I started this so we could have another fun forum activity, and hopefully get a little music appreciation group going. For me, it's not so much about what ends up on the list as it is a group of people listening to music they feel is important, and should be heard by others.

The only qualification for nominating an album is that, for whatever reason, you feel it is important enough to deserve a place on a list of the top 100 must-listen-to albums of all time.

I intended this to be broad and subjective. I was trying to say that there are a variety of valid reasons why a person would feel an album was worthy. Cultural significance, influence, and impact are obviously important, but there are other, more personal reasons that are also valid.

All that doesn't change the fact that people do need to talk about why they feel a particular album should be included. We just all have to agree on an acceptable process. It seems like it went from full justification posts to placeholders that would be followed by full justification posts, and then maybe back. I don't know, like I said, I'm confused trying to follow it.

The bottom line (at least the way I see it) is that not everybody is going to do it the exact same way, and as long as at some point there is a meaningful post explaining the "why" of a nomination, I think we'll be fine. If people fail to post their justification relatively soon after a poll begins, then we should quote their nomination and simply ask "why are you nominating this?" We've got the ground rules set for when to post nominations, so we're good there.

Hope that makes sense. As always, group feedback is welcome.  :)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:28:26 AM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up, I was starting to think of this list was going to be too much "work" to continue participating.   I've been thinking of the quality of the music first, then secondly if it influenced others after it, distant 3rd would be if it broke new ground.  My musical tastes are fairly broad, from classical to heavy metal.  About the only music I can't stand is 99% of rap, and certain singers make my skin crawl (the guy from Yes is one (Jon Anderson?).

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2012, 11:51:16 AM »
Because of the condition I'm in, I ended up writing far more than intended.  So I hacked out paragraphs that seemed less directly relevant, hoping more people would read what was left.  [But, of course, frying my brain further in the process: my choice, as I'd rather expend more effort and have people actually read it, than use less energy and have everyone skip it or barely skim it.]
I intended this to be broad and subjective. I was trying to say that there are a variety of valid reasons why a person would feel an album was worthy. Cultural significance, influence, and impact are obviously important, but there are other, more personal reasons that are also valid.

All that doesn't change the fact that people do need to talk about why they feel a particular album should be included. We just all have to agree on an acceptable process. It seems like it went from full justification posts to placeholders that would be followed by full justification posts, and then maybe back. I don't know, like I said, I'm confused trying to follow it.

The bottom line (at least the way I see it) is that not everybody is going to do it the exact same way, and as long as at some point there is a meaningful post explaining the "why" of a nomination, I think we'll be fine. If people fail to post their justification relatively soon after a poll begins, then we should quote their nomination and simply ask "why are you nominating this?" We've got the ground rules set for when to post nominations, so we're good there.

I suspect, given how far I've been past my limits I got too intense with my post just above yours.  But, yes, the core of what I was trying to say was what you have above (especially what I put in blue).  And that that justification could - in some cases probably should - trump one's disliking the music personally.

I also agree that the 'where' for the nomination got confusing - partly from my detailed description of ideas I had, and ideas by others responding to what I wrote.  You are right: the 'where' is far less relevant than that a justification exists at all.

But there is something important with the where.  Unfortunately, because I've been so far gone lately, I skipped the reason I agreed with TheUnabeefer's suggestion that basically the justification be present and easily accessible before it is possible to vote and then just linked to at that time.  [I didn't give my justification for it, one might say.]  The reason is something from having studied psychometrics: once people put a response for something, they are highly unlikely to go back and change it.  So if someone votes when the poll opens (I think about eight people did in the first 24 hours for the last one), they aren't likely to read justifications others give after that point, cancel their votes, and re-vote to include something new.  [There are a couple people here who have said they do that, but it is a minority that will do such a thing.]

I do still think it would be helpful to add something above the list of nominees in the voting area, that reminds voters that the poll is about albums that are important in some way, so they should not just vote for what they 'like'.  Maybe something pointing out that voters should read the justifications prior to voting, and that things that have been described well enough to understand that they are relevant or important should trump one's personal musical taste when voting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:13:08 PM by LucasM »

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
Well I nominated The Joshua Tree because it is an important album, it spawned at least three mega hits, it's influential and it's one of the best selling albums of all time.