Author Topic: Geico Cavemen Get Their Own TV Show?!  (Read 14165 times)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
Re: Geico Cavemen Get Their Own TV Show?!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »

As a film student, my department had to work very closely with the advertising department. And a lot of those kids were very creative and funny, and they often came up with really great ideas and concepts. Quite a few times they would actually shoehorn an unrelated, but otherwise brilliant, idea into an advert. And those almost always turned out to be their best commercials.

I'm just saying that the guys who came up with this idea are getting a chance to have fun with it... ya' know, outside the constraints of a television commercial. It's gotta' be like a dream come true for some of those really creative types that are stuck making commercials-by-committee for mega-corporations.

Anyway... It's probably gonna' suck. I mean... a caveman comedy? Really? But congrats anyway to the advertising guys who swindled their own TV show! Well played, clerks.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
you know maybe they got the show because adds are getting so persuasive that those who know how to make them are getting persuasive themselves.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 04:37:22 PM »

As a film student, my department had to work very closely with the advertising department. And a lot of those kids were very creative and funny, and they often came up with really great ideas and concepts. Quite a few times they would actually shoehorn an unrelated, but otherwise brilliant, idea into an advert. And those almost always turned out to be their best commercials.

I'm just saying that the guys who came up with this idea are getting a chance to have fun with it... ya' know, outside the constraints of a television commercial. It's gotta' be like a dream come true for some of those really creative types that are stuck making commercials-by-committee for mega-corporations.

Anyway... It's probably gonna' suck. I mean... a caveman comedy? Really? But congrats anyway to the advertising guys who swindled their own TV show! Well played, clerks.

-Rude

Well it's no secret that many of the recent films today were directed by TV Commercial directors. It's too bad they all suck.   ;)

Seriously, though, I think this can be a very good thing. If I'm the only fan of the idea, so be it.

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
- There was a trivia question on a video games tv show a while back that asked what the first game based on a film was, which was apparently Batman, but I insisted it was Tron. Aparrently, Tron doesn't count because the movie & game were based on each other and released together, whereas Batman was literally based on the film.)
actually wouldnt it be ET?

That's a good point.
ET & Tron were both released in '82, so I don't now which came first.
But discounting Tron for the above reason would make ET a clear winner.

But I am totally at a loss as to where they got Batman from, now.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 04:53:42 PM »
maybe they meant the first FUN game. 

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
The '80s toons teetered CLOSE to what I'm describing, but weren't actively trying to sell the toys. They just gave the toys a backdrop.

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. ;)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007, 04:57:04 PM »
I do hope I'm wrong, but I smell a one-joke train wreck.  I'm thinking The Mullets with clubs and unibrows.

Is Josh Weinstein involved with this concept in some capacity?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 04:59:22 PM by Steve-O »

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:01:00 PM by MightyMoose22 »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
Commercials don't work anymore. Used to be, they'd tell you what a product did and why you want it. How many times, lately, have you seen a commercial and thought, "That was cool! What was it selling?" For that matter, is Pepsi really so desperate to get its name out that it needs to produce a full music video? Cut the frills, Pepsi. We know who you are. :^)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »
whats pepsi?

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »
The '80s toons teetered CLOSE to what I'm describing, but weren't actively trying to sell the toys. They just gave the toys a backdrop.

Shouldn't somebody with an Ultra Magnus avatar be defending the Transformers?

As for ET and Reese's Pieces, did you know they first approached Mars to use M&Ms in the movie, but Mars said no? Apparently they didn't want M&Ms irevocably linked for all time to a hideous alien creature. Go figure. And when's the last time you thought, gee, I could sure go for some Reese's Pieces right now? That product placement turned out real well for them. Come to think of it, I can't think of any overt product placement in movies that ever really had a positive effect for the product...

Commercials don't work anymore. Used to be, they'd tell you what a product did and why you want it. How many times, lately, have you seen a commercial and thought, "That was cool! What was it selling?" For that

I've been saying that for years! Every time someone talks about how fun and entertaining an ad was I ask them if they remember what product it was for. Half the time they don't remember. "Um, I think it was Bud Light. Or maybe Miller Light. One of those shitty beers. It was funny, though." THAT'S A BAD COMMERCIAL! Fire that advertising agency right now. If you can't recall what they were trying to sell you, the ad failed. Dumbasses.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:08:36 PM by Sharktopus »

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »

Transformers defends itself.
It's undeniable that it was just one huge toy advert, but it's to its own credit that it became so much more.
Transformers is all things to all men.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2007, 05:12:27 PM »
your avatar is a transformer?? ?? ?? ?? i thought it was just a badly drawn reference to the blue man group.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2007, 05:14:52 PM »

It's undeniable that it was just one huge toy advert, but it's to its own credit that it became so much more.

True, but I fear they'll need lots and lots of defending when this trainwreck of a movie comes out in July... "Making watered down film adaptations is the right of all sentient beings."

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »

True, but I fear they'll need lots and lots of defending when this trainwreck of a movie comes out in July... "Making watered down film adaptations is the right of all sentient beings."

That may well be true.
My love of Transformers is only matched by my hatred of Michael Bay.
TF can do very little wrong. MB can do very little right (if that much).
This is going to be interesting...