Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 56359 times)

Invader_quirk

Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
13. Irken
(91 points, on 5 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Invader Quirk)

Great! This is what I thought you forgot, Darth Geek. I did not expect so many lists. The Irken race is one of the reasons Invader Zim consumed my life for a few years. The culture is so developed in the show. The description didn't delve into it, but the culture was deep and consistent, and I'm a sucker for that.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6323
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »
13. Irken

VICTORY! VICTORY FOR ZIIIIM!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
13. Irken

Great! This is what I thought you forgot, Darth Geek. I did not expect so many lists. The Irken race is one of the reasons Invader Zim consumed my life for a few years. The culture is so developed in the show. The description didn't delve into it, but the culture was deep and consistent, and I'm a sucker for that.
Aaaactually I did forget the Irkens. They would have been even higher if I had remembered.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »
Aaaactually I did forget the Irkens. They would have been even higher if I had remembered.

Ok, you've failed me for the last time.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
11. Goblin
(97 points, on 5 of 23 lists - Top Vote #4 by Johnny Unusual & Tripe Hound Redux)

Genus: Homo Vulgaris

A goblin is a legendary evil or mischievous creature; a grotesquely evil or evil-like phantom.

They are attributed with various (sometimes conflicting) abilities, temperaments and appearances depending on the story and country of origin. In some cases, goblins have been classified as constantly annoying little creatures somewhat related to the brownie and gnome. They are usually depicted as small, sometimes only a few inches tall, sometimes the size of a dwarf. They also often are said to possess various magical abilities.

English goblin was borrowed from Old French gobelin, rendered as Medieval Latin gobelinus, of uncertain origin. It may be related to German kobold or to Medieval Latin cabalus, itself from Greek kobalos "rogue" or "knave". Alternatively, it may be a diminutive of theproper name Gobel. The suffix -ing meaning "the people or kin of" Gobel.

In "The Goblin Field" (Moldova), Goblins were described as 2–3 feet tall, thin, and brown. Most were bald and "if there were females among the group they could not be distinguished from the males". They seemed to exist in two realms, one physical and one spirit. They were fiercely loyal and allied with particular sorcerer or witch tribes, whom they protected and served as an equally allied tribe rather than servants or slaves. "This perception might seem a bit strange to any not accustomed to the goblin outlook" because the goblins often did what might be considered slave work for very little reward.

They could be called by an allied individual or group, summoned by spell, or called to bargain at particular places by individuals or groups not known to them. Because of their power they were much sought after, but because of the corruption of mankind, rarely found. Crossing them was a thing to avoid as they had refined a grudge to a fine art. They could be fierce and mind-numbingly frightening, and only the hardiest of souls were sent to strike a bargain with them. However they had a side which few ever saw, which was their great love for those who were able to create an understanding and friendship with them. At the passing of such a person, they would treat the body with proper respect and then quietly weep.

Notable representatives:
Nosepick, Meg Mucklebones, Bounce Bounce and the Claw.

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

I really don’t blame them for following David Bowie till the ends of the Earth.  They probably just pester him all day saying things like “Play ‘The Man Who Sold the World’ again.” and “What was Brian Eno like?”

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
That's it for tonight.  The rest come tomorrow.  And happy Canada Day everyone.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

You keep saying that. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »

I didn't fail you! I had those crazy bastards on my list, too!  :highfive:
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »

It's such a great, strange, height-based race. Looking into the scripts for the cancelled episodes, it's telling that it still had a ton of neat stuff left to really dish out (like those PAKs).

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7204
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »
i'm rather annoyed that i forgot the skeksis.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1457
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
I forgot Skeksis, Irkin & (kind of) Gremlins (OH THE SHAME!)

Was my Predators vote counted?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
Yep

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 959
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »

Oh son of a...! And I even had GIR at number one on the second bananas list, but Irken I completely spaced out on.

Oddly, Irken sounds remarkably similar to the species I have at number one on this list. I never realized that before, but I have to wonder if that was intentional or just bizarre coincidence

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2012, 04:55:35 AM »
Before I continue, I just have to say I really do love goblins in all forms of media.  I love them in the abstract as tiny trouble makers.  I love the sniveling victim Goblins of Adventure Time.  I love the goblins of Brian Froud and Jim Henson in Labyrinth.  I love the back-assward, self-destructive goblins in Magic the Gathering.  And I love the spooky animal faced Goblins from Christina
Rosetti's poem The Goblin Market.

Also, LARRY DAVID!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »
Before I continue, I just have to say I really do love goblins in all forms of media.  I love them in the abstract as tiny trouble makers.  I love the sniveling victim Goblins of Adventure Time.  I love the goblins of Brian Froud and Jim Henson in Labyrinth.  I love the back-assward, self-destructive goblins in Magic the Gathering.  And I love the spooky animal faced Goblins from Christina
Rosetti's poem The Goblin Market.
Check out Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

I also love goblns in all their multiforms, they're the antagonist race in the radio series I'm writing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:11:55 AM by Tripe H. Redux »