login

Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 56120 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
39. Satyr
(45 points, on 3 of 23 lists - Top Vote #3 by Tripe Hound Redux)

Genus: Homo Oreamnos
In Greek mythology, satyrs are a troop of male companions of Pan and Dionysus — "satyresses" were a late invention of poets — that roamed the woods and mountains. In myths they are often associated with pipe-playing.

Satyrs acquired their goat-like aspect through later Roman conflation with Faunus, a carefree Italic nature spirit of similar characteristics and identified with the Greek god Pan. Hence satyrs are most commonly described in Latin literature as having the upper half of a man and the lower half of a goat, with a goat's tail in place of the Greek tradition of horse-tailed satyrs; therefore, satyrs became nearly identical with fauns. Mature satyrs are often depicted in Roman art with goat's horns, while juveniles are often shown with bony nubs on their foreheads.

Notable representatives:
Silenus, Pan, Torgo

Torgo a Go-go!   
with your host, Torgo

The master wants you but he can’t have you!  You!  You were the first of his wives.  Now, even I don’t want you.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
38. Asari
(46 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by Lassieface)

Genus: Tuthida Sapien
In the game Mass Effect, the asari are a purely female-appearing humanoid race that hold one of three permanent seats on the Citadel council at the start of the game. In modern times, the asari normally act as the diplomatic arm of the Citadel Council.

A typical asari individual varies among blue, teal, or purple complexion; some asari have facial markings, which are unique color patterns that vary for every asari. Some of these facial markings are associated with eyebrows, freckles, or tattoos by humans, but the asari do not think of the markings as such themselves. In the place of head hair, asari possess semi-flexible, cartilage based scalp crests that grow into shape.

All asari are biologically mono-gendered, although they display, from a human point-of-view, female characteristics and maternal instincts, with the ability to bear and nurse children. Liara states that concepts of male and female have no real meaning for her species, and, if asked, says that she is not precisely a woman. The asari are sexually female, and no tasexual like single-celled life, and could be considered xenophilic and pansexual, as not only are they indiscriminate in regards to the races and genders of their mates, but prefer to mate with other races and sexes, believing that the genetic and racial traits of other species, when combined with asari genetic make-up, is of benefit to the asari race as a whole. Their dual reproductive and nervous systems allow them to mate with any species or gender, with whom the offspring is always another asari. Lines of descent are matrilineal. The asari are capable of participating in and enjoying physical sexual contact, but such recreational activities offer no reproductive value. To produce offspring they form a mental and spiritual connection with their partners, and by doing so draw genetic material which is combined with their own to produce offspring resulting in an offspring that is primarily asari in genetic makeup, however may possess recessive traits from the "father" species.

During melding, an asari consciously attunes her nervous system to her partner's, sending and receiving electrical impulses directly through the skin; effectively, the asari and her partner briefly become one unified nervous system. This unique means of reproduction is the reason asari are all talented biotics; their evolved ability to consciously control nerve impulses is very similar to biotic training. The partner can be another asari, or an alien of any gender. This reproductive process has led to confusion among non-asari, who might expect offspring with "mixed" genes. Asari do not draw genes or mix it with their own (an asari can never inherent a krogan "father's" resistance to diseases); they provide to copies of their genes, and any inheritance of traits, or even personality, is an urban legend. The offspring is pure Asari with no alteration to their species, even though "father's" DNA may or may not influence randomization. Conversely, they tend to attach a stigma to those born "pureblood" between two asari, as they believe that nothing is gained when two asari procreate (although most are too polite to openly speak of their prejudices). The mating of two asari also seems to increase the chance that the offspring will be an Ardat-Yakshi, a sterile individual with a genetic disorder that kills mates during melding, rather than a gentle linking of nervous systems.

Notable representatives:
Liara T’Soni, Samara, her daughter that no one ever chooses to side with.

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

A monosexual species that truly proves the difference between Earth (where most creatures have one of 2 kinds of genitalia or both) and the rest of the universe.  Of course, some of the lonelier of us take part in monosexual activity far too often.

Coragale

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
If I had thought of it, I'd have recommended Human in the Notable Examples of Pequeninos.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
37. Mushi
(46 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Asbestos Bill)

Genus: Abstractus Complicatus
Mushi are prominently featured in the manga Mushishi and its adaptations.  Mushishi features ubiquitous creatures called Mushi that often display supernatural powers. Mushi are described as beings in touch with the essence of life, far more basic and pure than normal living things. Due to their ethereal nature most humans are incapable of perceiving Mushi and are oblivious to their existence, but there are a few who possess the ability to see and interact with Mushi.

Notable representatives:
That thing in the pillow, that living river, that creepy thing living in the kid’s ear

For the Dar-Win!

It’s kind of hard to think of it as a conventional lifeform, but rather life in its purest form.  And they wig me out.  *shudder*

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Notable representatives:
Silenus, Pan, Torgo
My very first email address was silenus@hotmail.com*, my love of the other two goes without saying. :)

You could also have included this prissy bugger:

Yes I know Lewis called him a Faun as if that's much of a distinction, but then that's because Jack was terrified of any sort of sex that didn't involve a furtive fascination with being whipped and spanked. Tosser.

* yes, without any modifier, it was a long long time ago.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:15:49 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Russell

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
I've got a feeling that just won't quit... a lot of my entries won't be making the list.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
36. Oompa Loompa
(50 points, on 3 of 23 lists - Top Vote #6 by DB Barnes)

Genus: Homo Delicious
Oompa-Loompas are known for their short stature, green hair, orange skin and white pants with protruding knees. In early editions of the novel, Oompa-Loompas are shown as African pygmies. Following growing controversy and criticism, in later editions of the book, Oompa-Loompas are white skinned and golden haired.

Oompa-Loompas come from Loompaland, which is a region of Loompa, a small isolated island in the Atlantic Ocean. The Oompa-Loompas would end up being preyed upon or attacked by Whangdoodles, Hornswogglers and Snozzywangers, which also lived there. Wonka ended up inviting them to work at his factory and get away from their natural predators. In the book, Oompa-Loompas are the only people Willy Wonka will allow to work in his factory, because of the risk of industrial espionage committed by his candy-making rivals. Oompa-Loompas are only knee-high, with astonishing haircuts, and are paid in their favourite food, cacao beans, which were extremely rare in their island. Oompa-Loompas insist on maintaining their native clothing: men wear skins, women wear leaves, and children wear nothing (in the 1971 film, the Oompa Loompas wore Germanic clothing with striped shirts and baggy lederhosen-like pants, in the 2005 film, the Oompa Loompas wore tribal clothing in their native Loompaland and typical factory worker uniforms in the factory). In the 1971 film the male Oompa-Loompas are seen working in the factory, in the 2005 film only one female worker, a secretary Mr. Wonka addresses as Doris (when the Great Glass Elevator passes through the administration offices) is seen, though in Quentin Blake's illustrations both male and female Oompa-Loompas are shown rolling away Violette Beauregarde after her transformation into a blueberry. Presumably the females remain in the village seen briefly from the Great Glass Elevator.

Oompa-Loompas are also mischievous, love practical jokes, singing and are very good at improvising according to Wonka. As each bad child makes his/her exit, Oompa-Loompas sing moralizing songs accompanied by a drum beat, and tend to speak in rhyme.

Notable representatives:
Prince, Al Pacino, Tom Cruise

I am being told not all short people are Oompa Loompas.

For the Dar-Win!

Their natural predators include Wangdoodles, Vermicious Knids, Hornswogglers, Monchhichis, Chumbawumba, and Diabetes

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
I've got a feeling that just won't quit... a lot of my entries won't be making the list.

I've only had two show up so far. I expect that to improve significantly, as my list is loaded with seemingly popular picks. I guess you never really know with these things, though.

I was glad to see Jawas on four lists, although the rest of the entries placed them pretty low. Love those little buggers. WOOTINI!!!

I spaced on Catbus, although I would've also assumed it was one-of-a-kind. Perhaps that's why I didn't even think of it. I dig the Catbus, and I will have to look into this Kittenbus.

36. Oompa Loompa
(50 points, on 3 of 23 lists - Top Vote #6 by DB Barnes)

I'm a little surprised they only made it onto three lists. They've always been my favorite part of the movie, and I'm not a big fan of singing in films. Much like Jawas, these little fuckers take care of business.      

Genus: Homo Delicious

Notable representatives:
Prince, Al Pacino, Tom Cruise

I am being told not all short people are Oompa Loompas.

Their natural predators include Wangdoodles, Vermicious Knids, Hornswogglers, Monchhichis, Chumbawumba, and Diabetes

:D
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »
Shit, I forgot Oompa Loompas!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »
Still nothing from my list:(
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:33 AM »
35. Fraggle
(53 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by Therul)

Genus: Condylura Frolica
Fraggles are humanoid creatures, about 18 inches tall, with fur in a wide variety of colors and a tail like a lion’s, with a tuft of fur on the end. They live in a network of caves called Fraggle Rock, populated by a variety of creatures, and seeming to connect to at least two different worlds in separate dimensions of time and space. Fraggles spend much of their carefree lives in play, exploring their worlds, and generally enjoying themselves. However, at the same time they maintain a complex culture and society, with each individual having rights and responsibilities. They have basic skill with tools and with crude machinery, and the concept of war is known to them (although wars between Fraggles are very rare). Fraggles live on a diet of vegetables, especially radishes. If individuals touch their heads together before falling asleep they can “share dreams.”

Notable representatives:
Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red

For the Dar-Win!

I think this is the first case of animals who thrive on the work of tiny construction workers living under the Earth.  To my knowledge.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1445
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2012, 06:31:24 AM »
First choice from my list to place, I can stop Wembling now I guess.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3749
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2012, 07:19:36 AM »
Oooh. How did I not think of Fraggle?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6306
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »
Sweet! I wish I had remebered to include Fraggles. But if they placed, than good chance my #2 pick will place even higher.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »
34. Thing
(54 points, on 3 of 23 lists - Top Vote #1 by Relaxing Dragon)

Genus: Proteus Amorphus
The thing is an infectious shapeshifting creature able to assimilate any life it comes into contact with.  It rapidly turns cells into its own, killing and replacing its.  If the thing is realizes it has been discovered, its fight or flight instincts will kick in, giving it a shape to attack its enemies, escape from them or both.  Once a cell is separated from a group of cells, it becomes an autonomous being.  For the most part, it can only turn into what it has assimilated, but it can use the parts and elements to creature new shapes and purposes for said parts.

Notable representatives:
Where’s the fun in telling you that.

Filled to the Brim!
with your host, Wilford Brimley

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIUdssOAn0s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aIUdssOAn0s</a>