login

Author Topic: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown  (Read 53196 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
OK folks, it took a while but I finally got the list together.  A lot of surprises on this one, I think.  Frankly, some of them that didn't make it almost pained me.  But we'll get to that.  Finally we can see the fictional animals and creepy crawlies you decided belonged at the top of the evolutionary (or at least entertaining) pile. 

Lots of aliens, mythological beast and... others on this one.  Tonight, we have 3 alien species and 2 mythological ones.  So let's get started.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap 61: Top 50 Fictional Species/Races Countdown
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »
50. Pegasus
(36 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by Pegaso220377)

Genus: Equus Livia
The symbolism of Pegasus varies with time. Symbol of wisdom and especially of fame from the Middle Ages until the Renaissance, he became one symbol of the poetry and the creator of sources in which the poets come to draw inspiration, particularly in the 19th century. Pegasus is the subject of a very rich iconography, especially through the ancient Greek pottery and paintings and sculptures of the Renaissance. Personification of the water, solar myth, or shaman mount, Carl Jung and his followers have seen in Pegasus a profound symbolic esoteric in relation to the spiritual energy that allows to access to the realm of the gods on Mount Olympus.

In the 20th and 21st century, he appeared in movies, in fantasy, in video games and in role play, where by extension, the term "pegasus" is often used to refer to any winged horse.

Notable representatives:
The mythical one, the Tristar one, the one from the Turkish airline

For the Dar-Win!
with your host, Charles Darwin

This beast is a wonder of the skies and has adapted its body over thousands of years after seeing clouds that looked like apples and bales of hay.  Though this ended in disappointment, one must admire their tenacity.

Also, I hate them, because as soon as take the HMS Beagle through the wash, a Pegasus ends up pooping on it.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:25:33 PM »
49. Ewok
(38 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #11 by Goflyblind)

Genus: Ursus Adorabalus

Ewoks were sentient humanoid mammals, averaging about one meter in height, which could provide an advantage when trying to hide. They were covered in fur from head to toe, with brown and black the most common colors. Other Ewoks had near-white or reddish fur, but red fur is supposedly the rarest shade an Ewok can get. Most Ewoks had solid-colored fur, though a few sported stripes. Ewoks had large, bright eyes, small humanoid noses, and hands that possessed two fingers and an opposable thumb. Despite their small size, Ewoks were physically strong enough to overpower combat-trained Humans. The Human Mace Towani likened their appearance to "little bears", though they are sometimes referred to as "mini Wookiees."

Notable representatives:
Logray, Paploo, “Sticky” Wicket W. Warrick

For the Dar-Win!

Though ewoks are tool users, their greatest strength is cuteness.  Much how like bonobo society is centered largely around sexual politics, ewok society is centered largely about how cute they are.  It is used to dispute power struggles, deciding mating partners and in hunting strategies.  Prey often walks willingly into ewok camps in hopes of petting them, only to be stabbed and eaten.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:32:49 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
Wooo, new LoC countdown!!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »
48. Jawa
(38 points, on 4 of 23 lists - Top Vote #2 by DB Barnes)

Genus: Druidus Rodentia

Jawas were easily identifiable by their brown hooded robes, glowing yellow eyes, small stature and high pitched, quickly spoken language called Jawaese.

Through the study of corpses and skeletal remains, Baobab xenobiologists discovered that Jawas appeared to be gaunt, rodent-like creatures, with shrunken faces and yellow eyes. Conflicting research suggests that Jawas and Tusken Raiders, two native species of Tatooine, originally evolved from the same extinct species, the Kumumgah, as both have common genetic markers, while other research suggests Jawas originated from humans.

At all times, Jawa faces remained obscured by a shroud of cloth to retain moisture, hide their identity and dissipate their body heat. Polished orange gemstones were embedded within the fabric to protect the Jawas’ sensitive vision from the bright sunlight. Jawas were renowned for their incredibly potent odor. Repulsive to most species, this odor contained incredible amounts of information such as other Jawas' identity, health, clan lineage, last meal, maturity, arousal and even their mood. Their odor was compounded by a mysterious solution Jawas dipped their clothes in to retain moisture, and their view of bathing as being a waste of precious water, which attracted swarms of insects to gather in the recesses of their hoods. Jawas evolved several important survival traits, such as exceptional night vision and a strong immune system. A Jawa’s normal body temperature is 46°C (116 F) which resulted in a high metabolism and an efficient digestive system that drew all the needed nutrients from the Jawa staple diet of hubba gourd.

Notable representatives:
None.  And expanded universe doesn’t count.

For the Dar-Win!

BTW, referring to them as stinky dark sand people is inadvisable for a NUMBER of reasons.  Not a scientific observation, just good advice.

MontyServo

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
Hooray for the Top 50 Star Wars species!  I mean...  Top 50 Fictional Species!  Yay!

I shouldn't talk, I had at least one Star Wars species on my list, but not those damn dirty Ewoks or those filthy dirt merchant Jawas.  :P

MontyServo

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Notable representatives:
None.  And expanded universe doesn’t count.

I beg to differ.  There was that one really tall Jawa that looked out of place amongst the rest.  "Too Tall" was his nickname.  And then there was the lead salesman Jawa who tried to stick Owen with a faulty droid.  He was very notable.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
47. Gorn
(39 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #6 by Compound)

Genus: Varanus Wrestleshatsis

The Gorn had contact with the Orion Syndicate as early as 2154. The name of their government was established as the Gorn Hegemony in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Bound" although, in the games "Star Trek: Starfleet Command" and "Star Trek: Starfleet Command II: Empires at War" The Gorn's government was referred to as the "Gorn Confederation".

The Gorn made first contact with the Federation at Cestus III in 2267 when a misunderstanding nearly led to war (original series episode "Arena", the Gorn played by Bobby Clark). Although the Gorn made territorial claims, the Federation had a settlement there in 2371, indicating tension later softened.

Notable representatives:
The nameless one who fought Kirk.  I’m calling him Jorge.

For the Dar-Win!

Though they are powerful, for whatever reason, they lack agility which means that they must slowly hunt their prey until the prey gives up due to boredom or the game “not being fun anymore, let’s go inside and play Mario Kart.”  No, wait, that was when I tried to play tag with the other kids.  I had a sad childhood.

MontyServo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »
Oh and my number one will not be making the list since I doubt anyone else thought of or remembered to include them.  Shame too since they were pretty cool.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist

MontyServo

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
Still my favourite work on Ewoks

Now I feel sad.   :'(  Stoopid Empire and their stoopid space station!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
Weird, I tend to feel cheered up by it.  ;)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:57:56 PM »
46. Aswang
(40 points, on 2 of 23 lists - Top Vote #4 by A Pretty Girl is Like)

Genus: Desmodus Feteatus

An Aswang (or Asuwang) is a mythical creature in Filipino folklore. The aswang is an inherently evil vampire-like creature and is the subject of a wide variety of myths and stories. Spanish colonists noted that the Aswang was the most feared among the mythical creatures of the Philippines, even in the 16th century.

The myth of the aswang is well known throughout the Philippines, except in the Ilocos region, which is the only region that does not have an equivalent myth.  It is especially popular in the Western Visayan regions such as Capiz, Iloilo, Bohol, Masbate, Aklan,Antique. Other regional names for the aswang include "tik-tik", "wak-wak" and "soc-soc".

The wide variety of descriptions in the aswang stories make it difficult to settle upon a fixed definition of aswang appearances or activities. However, several common themes that differentiate aswangs from other mythological creatures do emerge: Aswangs are shapeshifters. Stories recount aswangs living as regular townspeople. As regular townspeople, they are quiet, shy and elusive. At night, they transform into creatures such as a cat, pig, bird, or most often, a dog. They enjoy eating unborn fetuses and small children, favoring livers and hearts. Some have long proboscises, which they use to suck the children out of their mothers' wombs or their homes. Some are so thin that they can hide themselves behind a bamboo post. They are fast and silent. Some also make noises, like the Tik-Tik, (the name was derived from the sound it produces) which are louder the further away the aswang is, to confuse its potential victim; and the Bubuu, an aggressive kind of aswang that makes a sound of a laying hen at midnight. They may also replace their live victims or stolen cadavers with doppelgangers made from tree trunks or other plant materials. This facsimile will return to the victim's home, only to become sick and die. An aswang will also have bloodshot eyes, the result of staying up all night searching for houses where wakes are held to steal the bodies.

Notable representatives:
Listen, I’m too lazy to write something witty, so lets just say it was whatever horrendous female reality TV star is still in the public consciousness.

For the Dar-Win!
With your host, Charles Darwin

Thanks to the aswang’s unusually developed proboscis, they can actually be used in taking care of unwanted pregnancies in a manner that is very safe and hygienic, which is why abortion clinics often keep giant bottles of aswang on hand for just such an occasion.

MontyServo

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 07:00:03 PM »
46. Aswang

Notable representatives:
Listen, I’m too lazy to write something witty

Lemme try...

Ass-wang!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot